Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change color after configuring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume the car is already configured and built and has been sitting on a lot for a while. I dont think at this point in the game our Model 3s are being built but they have a bunch of pre-configured models waiting to deliver out.

Thats how many have said they got their delivery in a range from 1-2 weeks.

I would assume the car is already configured and built and has been sitting on a lot for a while. I dont think at this point in the game our Model 3s are being built but they have a bunch of pre-configured models waiting to deliver out.

Thats how many have said they got their delivery in a range from 1-2 weeks.
I configured on the 12th and still don't have a VIN. If the car is already manufactured and has a VIN, why wouldn't they give it to me?

Honestly, given that they're pre-manufacturing cars and assigning them to orders after, they should offer a feature to let us choose from a subset of color choices in order to take delivery more quickly. For example we were solidly torn between three colors and would have been happy with any of them.

@Leftysmasher Have you heard back yet? I have not.
Yes I did and its done :) with no impact to schedule apparently. You have to keep calling them and ask for your owner adviser based on when you configured. I configured on 1/17 and we are not in production yet so it was possible. Call the 1-800 number and ask for your OA and work with them. Also ask them to open a case and forward it to your OA. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Yes I did and its done :) with no impact to schedule apparently. You have to keep calling them and ask for your owner adviser based on when you configured. I configured on 1/17 and we are not in production yet so it was possible. Call the 1-800 number and ask for your OA and work with them. Also ask them to open a case and forward it to your OA. Hope this helps.
Good to know. I've just been dealing with whoever answers the call on the 800 line. Didn't know we had an OA assigned yet.

B2A0A5B9-D009-4F48-87D2-DB6D3FE74492.jpeg
Data point:

I configured a red Model 3 on 1/4. One week later I switched from red to white. There was no charge or added time. I took delivery 2.5 weeks after original configuring.

My OA told me that cars are not built to fulfill orders. Instead cars are built and then asssigned to orders already placed. Wheel choices can even force swaps at SC’s before delivery.