Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG... the spin is just unbelievable... :D

Well, they will spin and deny everything, thing.
Or maybe that's true. It's possible that they didn't have the materials for the first Model 3s, so early VINs lucked out with the material they did have. (I'm assuming they're making the headliners just like they're making the seats at their nearby facility.)

That said, I wish they'd only shown the current material or made clear that a change was going to happen. And I'd guess they're wishing that right now, too. :)

Or maybe that's true. It's possible that they didn't have the materials for the first Model 3s, so early VINs lucked out with the material they did have. (I'm assuming they're making the headliners just like they're making the seats at their nearby facility.)

That said, I wish they'd only shown the current material or made clear that a change was going to happen. And I'd guess they're wishing that right now, too. :)

Is there anything that would lead you to believe that there will be anything different in the materials between PUP and non PUP models?

Because I don't.

The seating surfaces being different doesn't match up with "premium materials throughout" as described by them as being part of the PUP upgrade.

As I said earlier, I actually wouldn't find the material they are using in Model 3 now at all out of place in the price group. You don't get Alcantara in the BMW 3/Audi A4 segment in the Germans either very often. (Audi S4 I think has Alcantara headliner, but not A4...)

But I do find this talk of relabelling the Model S/X base/cloth headliner as a "premium" headliner a bit worrisome. That's a basic headliner in this price group. I get it that they are trying to fulfill the words of the premium upgrades package (was it premium materials throughout), but calling basic cloth a premium material...

Seems a bit fresh, even by Tesla's standards...

I wonder what the non-premium headliner will be like?

All this talk about bait & switch. The alcantara headliner was bait? Really? Did anyone really make the decision to buy this car based on the headliner material? Everyone just needs to calm down.
I personally have a HUGE thing against textile headliner, and if I knew the headliner was going to be textile there's probably a 50% chance I wouldn't have reserved it. As it stands I had 2 model 3 reservations and yes I actually cancelled one because of this. It's a Model 3 not a Nissan Sentra, I know the headliner issue sounds irrational, and Idk why I care so much, but it is what it is. My hope is that when the white seats come out, like the Model S/X, the white seat option will also include alcantara.

And to those suggesting that early reservation holders/press just got "free" upgraded materials because textile wasn't ready yet, that can't be the case. Because under what option package would grey alcantara have otherwise been available? I could see if it was black, then tesla could say "no no, black alcantara was always meant to be bundled with the white seat option, so early people got it as a free gift." But what's the justification for the grey one? There's not gonna be another black seat package down the line....

All this talk about bait & switch. The alcantara headliner was bait? Really? Did anyone really make the decision to buy this car based on the headliner material? Everyone just needs to calm down.

Bait for the PUP package, sure. Why did they give test rides, official stock photography, a press kit, videos, reveals, and the first ~1500 customers an option they knew for months now (i.e, "always been planned") would never be offered again and still not communicate any of this to your would-be owners?

As I said earlier, I actually wouldn't find the material they are using in Model 3 now at all out of place in the price group. You don't get Alcantara in the BMW 3/Audi A4 segment in the Germans either very often. (Audi S4 I think has Alcantara headliner, but not A4...)

But I do find this talk of relabelling the Model S/X base/cloth headliner as a "premium" headliner a bit worrisome. That's a basic headliner in this price group. I get it that they are trying to fulfill the words of the premium upgrades package (was it premium materials throughout), but calling basic cloth a premium material...

Seems a bit fresh, even by Tesla's standards...

I wonder what the non-premium headliner will be like?
BMW 3/Audi A4 don't have a 15 inch touchscreen or open pore wood decor spanning the whole dash either, let's just remove those too... It's not an argument of "what's common in the class". If that was the case, Tesla's car's would be on par with all other automakers and Tesla would be much less of a major player because of that.

BMW 3/Audi A4 don't have a 15 inch touchscreen or open pore wood decor spanning the whole dash either, let's just remove those too... It's not an argument of "what's common in the class". If that was the case, Tesla's car's would be on par with all other automakers and Tesla would be much less of a major player because of that.

Well, I was using what's common in the class as a defense of Model 3 in this case (i.e. the rest don't have Alcantara either), but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.