Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing our shoes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bit much to carry around, but if anyone has a non scissor jack solution, let me know! I have winter tyres installed plus I ceramic coated the wheels. All was relatively straight forward.
IMG_20191123_153324.jpg

I'm trying to find a 'Tesla puck' compatible scissor jack.
There are plenty of pinch weld jacks and some with saddles that appear to be too small to fit a standard puck, but I haven't yet found the 'ideal' jack which is low enough, strong enough and where the the puck can sit securely.
Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Afraid not. I've been on a similar lookout for ages as I don't dare use our scissor jack which was bought as Plan B but now relegated to Plan Z. The original plan B was to create a new saddle, but other things got in the way. The rounded nipple on the saddle that makes it incompatible with most pucks needs somehow to be protected - possibly using a saddle from another jack or fabricating something similar. Plan Y is some neoprene, but I just do not know how its going to behave as the angles change when jacking. Hopefully not too much as you don't actually need to lift the car very high at all to get a wheel of the ground. Another thought was to modify one of my pucks to make it nipple/saddle friendly.

That trolley jack minimum height at 135mm is too high for the Model 3, hence the low profile models being mentioned at under 100mm.

With my jack pads, I need a jack no taller than around 110mm, even less if it is to clear the puck when inserting under car.
You need 2 or 3 short bits of 6x2. Place them in front/ behind the wheel you want to change.Drive the car up on to them and you have enough room for your jack. I wouldn't go for the scissor jack, personally.

You need 2 or 3 short bits of 6x2. Place them in front/ behind the wheel you want to change.Drive the car up on to them and you have enough room for your jack. I wouldn't go for the scissor jack, personally.

I'm all sorted thanks, nice low profile trolley jack at home, except for when out on the road, where all my eggs are in the AA basket. What a scissor jack brings to the party is to allow me to swap a wheel away from home when its more convenient than calling the AA, just like old times, except without necessarily having a spare on me.

Still not resolved, but some useful steers - thank you.
At the end of the day I believe there is a niche market for a strong ratchet scissor jack with a small puck mounted at the lifting point.
See you on Dragon's Den!

The problem with a scissor jack is that you need a little more space then the minimum that allows you to squeeze it under the car. This is because the mechanism is almost flat and the initial turns to make it start to lift are nearly impossible due to the way the leverage works (or doesn't). I chopped the swivel off mine to give it space to get in under the puck but I've only experimented in controlled conditions (!) and it's on the borderline of impossible to get going. The stress on it must be phenomenal even though in theory it can take the weight of the car. I don't think I'm going to risk actually taking a wheel off with the car only supported on the scissor jack. Fortunately I've got a trolley jack that fits under. I don't routinely carry the space saver spare so it would only be for a more local tyre/wheel issue where someone can bring the spare and trolley jack out to me. This issue is certainly has some Dragon's Den invention potential!

Reactions: Mr Miserable
No, not Performance but this is front drivers side clearance under a LR AWD including some low profile jack point protectors - Abstract Ocean. So less than 11cm for LR AWD assuming all corners are similar and even less for taller pads.

View attachment 470525
Might do the trick. Min height is 89mm

This is a really old thread that has recently been resurrected. So thanks for the suggestions, but apart from the scissor jack issue, all other aspects sorted and documented, along with several lessons learned along the way.

One lesson learned is that many smaller/low trolley jacks, such as the one mentioned above, have a really small diameter saddle, which as a result means that a jack puck is unlikely to fit. Thankfully when I went to purchase my jack, I took the pucks along to check - they were far larger than the diameter of the saddle. Ended up buying a completely different range of trolley jack, one with a much larger diameter rubberised saddle which having used it numerous times now to change winter/summer wheels, works perfectly with our pucks.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
One lesson learned is that many smaller/low trolley jacks, such as the one mentioned above, have a really small diameter saddle, which as a result means that a jack puck is unlikely to fit. Thankfully when I went to purchase my jack, I took the pucks along to check - they were far larger than the diameter of the saddle. Ended up buying a completely different range of trolley jack, one with a much larger diameter rubberised saddle which having used it numerous times now to change winter/summer wheels, works perfectly with our pucks.

My trolley jack has a saddle that is smaller diameter than the puck. However, I find that the weight of the car being lifted puts plenty of pressure on to it so it embeds into the surface of the rubber ... making it very stable. I have no qualms about using it but agree that if buying a jack specifically for the Model 3 a larger diameter saddle would be the better choice.

I would hope for the price, not that I minded paying for what we got. But I bet yours would also work with our scissor jack...

Yes, mine were the cheapy type with the slightly too long err, nipples. I sawed the ends to leave a half inch and they are perfect... been used a few times by local garage to swap tyres.