Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Thought i’d Ask before I attempt tonight, I have some private plates from Tesla for my new Model 3, how are the current (and new) ones fixed to the car? I’m on the train but from memory they look like there is a holder - any idea best way to change them out?

Can't help I am afraid, but can I ask how much?

I was told £40 by Heathrow but I've mostly heard FOC and someone at £2x. I'm going to take my chance I can get third party one to fit at that price. I recently got a 'show' plate made as a pit board which was bigger than normal and cost me £8 - made whilst I waited and included a trial print. If Halfords had not refused to make a non compliant plate, that would have cost £15, similarly another trade place.

The ones on my S and X were both clipped into the holder, gentle pressure on the holder was enough to take the plates out. They are thin aluminium plates and used to be hard to find however Halfords seem to have recently changed to supplying aluminium plates with a stick on front so that is a option.

My preference has always been to remove the holders (My S had a rattle that turned out to be the holder vibrating) and directly attach the plate.

Can't help I am afraid, but can I ask how much?

I was told £40 by Heathrow but I've mostly heard FOC and someone at £2x. I'm going to take my chance I can get third party one to fit at that price. I recently got a 'show' plate made as a pit board which was bigger than normal and cost me £8 - made whilst I waited and included a trial print. If Halfords had not refused to make a non compliant plate, that would have cost £15, similarly another trade place.

Funny you should say how much... I rang 2 days before collection and was told I have to pay £25 per plate at collection, so I said yes.

Got to collection and they said they can't process payments, but they'll make them for me and then the sales team would ring to take payment.

No one has rung to take payment...

The plastic plate holder “frame” unclips. From what I remember I pulled the two vertical sides of the frame away from the top, and they pop out and the frame drops down hinged along the bottom. Once you’ve unclipped the frame you can slide the plate out. Replace with the new one and clip the holder back together. Voila!

On mine the front plate is a clip arrangement so you can easily unclip about half way up either side and then drop in a new aluminium plate.
The back was a slide out to the left and new one back in. You just need to be careful to get the plate under the top and bottom guide clips.
Drayton told me £25 for a pair, but I got some made up online from numer1plates, as I didn't want to risk not getting them made up on a Saturday, plus I didn't want a GB on the left, as I'm not taking my RHD abroad.

Got charged £24 a pair for it. Did not tell me the cost until it was made. Thought it would be free after all the messing around with the delivery :mad:
It will fit into original plate holder but knowing what i know now, i would not bother. Get the normal plastic ones or a sticker one instead. The metal plates they made do not look nice without the plastic frames and the frame is rubbish. Really thick and wobbly. Was going to remove the frame but realised the metal plates have sharp edges so not ideal on its own. :(

Just a FYI, I used Birmingham Digbeth which I understand may now be relocated.

My first MS P85D in September 2016 came with an original plate so I went through the malarkey of assigning my cherished plate to the 'new' car had plates made and tried fixing them myself - this I effed up!!! (Forgot to tell my insurers of plate change - but that's another matter) Phoned Tesla, they said bring it in and we'll fix it which they did but had to change the rear number plate mounting all free of charge. When I had the car MOT'd in November 2018 it was failed as two of the digits on the plate were 8mm too far apart. So had another set made, phoned Tesla and they fitted once again free of charge. I then purchased a new MS P100D in June of this year having sold my P85D privately to a dealer (R Symons - excellent in every way) and having changed the plate back to the original kept my cherished on 'retention' which I supplied to Tesla prior to purchase. Tesla did all the registration, supply of plates and fitting (just to be boring) free of charge.

I imagine that with the vast increase of the UK Tesla fleet as a result of the M3 arrival in the UK they are getting more requests than ever. What I will say is that, to date, my dealings with Tesla Birmingham (or at least Digbeth) on all matters has been exemplary. Maybe they are the exception. Maybe I've been lucky. Who knows.

My feelings are that Tesla will have access to exactly the right dimensional size plates together with the expertise - and if it goes pear shaped they will have to sort it out.

"I wonder if stick-ons would be a better alternative?"

Stick on plates always remind me of the C & D Type Jaguars from the 50's and latterly 'kit' cars since then. It's almost as if registering those vehicles was an afterthought.

I've come to trust Tesla's judgement on their vehicle composition, albeit with a few fairly minor reservations over the past three years, but maybe I'm just a boring (definitely), old (certainly) conformist!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It will fit into original plate holder but knowing what i know now, i would not bother. Get the normal plastic ones or a sticker one instead. The metal plates they made do not look nice without the plastic frames and the frame is rubbish. Really thick and wobbly. Was going to remove the frame but realised the metal plates have sharp edges so not ideal on its own. :(

My sentiments exactly. They would pass for a while if free, but at £40 we will sort something ourselves - I like the look of the stick on plates but probably want to hear a bit more long term feedback and until I see things up close and personal, wont know what I can do with ordinary plates.

Hi,
I have just switched plates.
Was having the car ceramic coated and having PPF applied so asked the guys at All that Gleams in Guildford (who were by the way fantastic) to change the plates at the same time.
Front was easy and have switched to a stick-on vinyl. A few more issues with the back as vinyl would have showed screw holes and indent due to shape of the number plate panel.
In the end we have put on a hybrid, removed the frame and put the aluminium plate on the holder. Think that this may be the best solution having tried all 3 options.

Attachments

• Front Plate.jpeg
    Front Plate.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Rear Plate.jpeg
    Rear Plate.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 69
Hi,
Was having the car ceramic coated and having PPF applied so asked the guys at All that Gleams in Guildford (who were by the way fantastic) to change the plates at the same time.
Front was easy and have switched to a stick-on vinyl. A few more issues with the back as vinyl would have showed screw holes and indent due to shape of the number plate panel.
In the end we have put on a hybrid, removed the frame and put the aluminium plate on the holder. Think that this may be the best solution having tried all 3 options.
But they’ve only fitted you half a number plate on the front! ;)

Looks great though. Shame about not being able to use the vinyl on the back. I’ve got a set of vinyl plates but I’m waiting until after Tesla have sorted out the paint defects to fit them. Might need to rethink the back then...

Did you go for full PPF then a ceramic on top?

Hi,