Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"charge Current" setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to charge at 20 amps at home. Each night when I plug in the car the charge current setting defaults to 48 amps.
For 3 years I had no problems, after the app update earlier in the summer it does not seem to remember the mobile charger setting at my house.
thanks

OK, here's what I recommend. First, have an electrician look at the whole setup. If you're tripping the main breaker that easily, something is likely really wrong.

Once it's determined how big a circuit is actually safe, (assuming you don't have much bigger problems) change the outlet to a one of 6-15, 6-20, or 14-30 , and change the breaker to match (15a, 20a or 30a). Use the Tesla adapter for the new outlet type to be sure the car CAN'T draw too much. This will limit the car's charging rate automatically. The setting in the car is just not reliable enough. As you've seen, software updates can cause the car to forget. Also, sometimes the GPS doesn't work that well, and the car fails to realize it's at home and goes back to the default settings.

Meanwhile, to get charged tonight, leave the door open while you plug in, and immediately dial the charge rate down before it has time to ramp up to full speed. This should stick, but don't rely on it. If you have to, dial it down every single time.

I've changed my mind. You shouldn't charge at all until it's been looked at.
After reading your comments and comments from tronguy, I have decided to sell my Tesla and switch back to regular car. My old house probably needs total overhaul of the electrical wiring to support safe EV charging. It had been working great for over 3 years till a few weeks back - the software update messed up the whole thing. I feel super lucky that our house didn't catch fire over the last 3 years. Thanks!

Upvote 0
That's quite a reaction to the situation!
If you have been happily surviving with 20A charging rates, then have the electrician replace your outlet with a 6-20, and buy a 6-20 adapter for your UMC. Now your Tesla will never pull more than 16A.
Your house didn't burn down because your breakers worked and you never overloaded the panel.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
That's certainly a drastic action, but as @davewill pointed out, if you can install a dedicated 240V 20A breaker and a 6-20 outlet for your mobile connector, that will almost equate what you have been doing for the last several years. Charging with a 6-20 outlet, wiring from the main electrical panel to the outlet using 12AWG wire, and using the NEMA 6-20 adapter for the mobile connector, will automatically limit the charge current to a maximum of 16A. You won't have to bother with manually adjusting the charging current, either in the app, or from the car's screen, if a continuous 16A doesn't trip your main breaker. 16A @ 240V yields about 15 miles of range per hour. If that's enough for overnight charging, then you still may be able to live with an EV. And as stated earlier, if you do decide to keep the Tesla, bring in a qualified electrician and have him/her do a load calculation to see how much power you can safely allot to EV charging.

As an aside, I have been able to charge my car without having a home EVSE for the last 4+ years. For the first year I worked at a company which had L2 charging in the parking garage. Then I retired. With the drop in yearly driving mileage, I've been able to depend on a local CHAdeMO charger (since I have the adapter), along with a Supercharger. It takes an hour to 90 minutes once a week for me to recharge my car; I usually don't let it go below about 40% and charge to 90%. I have had a Gen 2 Wall Connector in a box for over 4 years. I never installed it when I was working since I had a good source of charging. Then, my charging requirements dropped because I wasn't driving as much. It also doesn't help that the CHAdeMO station costs $0.19/kWh, lower than the lowest rate I get at home.

edit: Corrected a couple of typos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After reading your comments and comments from tronguy, I have decided to sell my Tesla and switch back to regular car. My old house probably needs total overhaul of the electrical wiring to support safe EV charging. It had been working great for over 3 years till a few weeks back - the software update messed up the whole thing. I feel super lucky that our house didn't catch fire over the last 3 years. Thanks!

This sounds like sarcasm, but sarcasm can be sometimes hard to read online. With that being said...

What it charged or didnt charge at "for 3 years before a few weeks ago:" is irrelevant. It DIDNT charge right, because you had a 14-50 outlet that is supposed to be able to charge at 50amps. but you KNEW you couldnt charge at 50amps. You had also figured out that you needed to turn it down to 20amps to keep from tripping the breaker.

"breakers" are a safety feature but they are not infallable. They are there to help try to prevent you from burning your house down, so yes, you should actually feel lucky your house didnt catch fire over the past 3 years. If thats an honest post, great. If its supposed to be sarcasm, it shouldnt be.

The car should not be the determining factor in setting charging speed, full stop. If you feel you need to sell the car, its a good time to sell teslas (although not quite as good as it was previously, from what I read).

You likely want to move soon on the sale if you are going to do that and its not sarcasm. Otherwise, get someone out to look at your 14-50 outlet and change it to a 6-20 since you cant charge at 60 amps anyway. Thats a lot less impactful than selling your car, and doesnt impact you anyway because you state you were charging at 20amps anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Are we being gaslit or trolled? It's a serious question.

I dont think so. I think the OP is just not at all interested in hearing about the actual issues with what they have been using for 3 years, or doing anything about it. Since thats the case, and they also say "problem solved" there isnt any further reason for this thread to be open so I am going to lock it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.