Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge HQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will that only work with Powerwall though?
I’m guessing that will be the case unless the Gen 3 HPWCs have some way of knowing what’s going on with your inverter. Charge HQ will still have a pretty big market to sell to. I’m glad the function is coming to the app, but I’m very supportive of Charge HQs efforts.

ChargeHQ have finally unveiled pricing - the free plan will give you advanced scheduling and charging stats, then it's $7/month or $70/year to add automated charging from home solar.

(The 'Early Adopter' plan - which includes the solar feature - remains free for now)

IMG_1923.png

ChargeHQ have finally unveiled pricing - the free plan will give you advanced scheduling and charging stats, then it's $7/month or $70/year to add automated charging from home solar.

I’ve often wondered what Tesla thinks of this kind of thing, because (a) the Tesla API isn’t (strictly speaking) public and (b) this results in considerably more API calls to their vehicles than they would have originally budgeted for.

That has two potential consequences - increased Tesla server costs to manage the load, and potentially Telstra saying “your traffic is a lot higher than what was agreed in your SIM contract - you have to pay us more per SIM”.

Hobbyists like me doing bespoke coding to do stuff is one thing (probably undetectable in the noise floor) but companies productising and monetising the capability is something rather different, especially if it takes off.

In fact I wonder if the delay in Tesla rolling out their own PW2 - Car charging integration is not technical but commercial - having to renegotiate SIM contracts with telcos, and wondering if they need to start charging Tesla owners a monthly fee to have any cellular connectivity at all (a cost they currently absorb).

Tesla should probably monetise their API themselves - officially publish and support it, and start charging a fee to access it. That’s what Solcast and other companies do.

Tesla should probably monetise their API themselves - officially publish and support it, and start charging a fee to access it. That’s what Solcast and other companies do.
And its what Twitter is doing ;P

Are there any other 'paid' services using the Tesla APIs similar to ChargeHQ, or are they all 'free' or 'in beta'?
ie, is there any chance Tesla could go after services like ChargeHQ now using the API for commercial purposes?

Last edited:
I have only been using Charge HQ for the 3 months since my car arrived. I admit I like what it does a lot, but the subscription @ $7 per month with my feed in tariff is equivalent to 100Kw per month. Probably not a relevant comparison, and I don't know how many tens/hundreds/thousand- (Ok only 1000+ downloads so nobody is getting rich).
Sometimes I need to use the charge now function, but would like to be able to use it without discharging the powerwall. Currently I turn the PW2 off for this. I notice on the website this feature is on the waiting list. While it won't change anything economically such an esoteric feature might get me across the line for subscription. I think the app is worth supporting.

(The 'Early Adopter' plan - which includes the solar feature - remains free for now)

Including an Early Adopter plan is such a nice gesture, I don't remember a service offering me this kind of thanks before.

The content of the email to early adopters is below, I'm impressed.

Since first releasing Charge HQ in late 2021, we’ve been very fortunate to have you as part of a passionate group of beta program members who have embraced and supported what we’ve built.

Development of existing features and formulation of our roadmap has come largely from the constant stream of feedback and ideas we get from users.

You’ve also been incredible advocates, spreading the word far and wide attracting thousands of new users across more than 30 countries. This has created real impact with thousands of users now getting more than half of their EV charging from solar.

Up to now Charge HQ has been entirely free but to continue to build the app and expand the features we need a source of revenue. After a lot of thought and consideration of other business models we’re adopting a subscription service for the use of the solar charging features for all new users.

The solar charging feature creates real savings on most users energy bills. We’ve set the subscription price at a level ($7 AUD or $5 USD per month) that is below what the average savings will be. We'll also offer discounts for paying annually.

To say thank you to our beta program members, you can continue to use all features Charge HQ for free including solar charging. We might revisit this down the line but we have no immediate plans.

Over the last year a number of users have contacted us and offered to pay for the service or make a donation. As a self funded startup, this new subscription revenue will help us expand our development team and accelerate the addition of new features. If you’d like to become a paying subscriber immediately you can, and we will be very grateful for your support.

To subscribe now, in the Charge HQ app, go to Settings → My Account → My Plan and select the Solar Plan then provide your payment details.

Otherwise, please continue to enjoy the app free of charge.

Thank you!​

Jay & Andrew

I trialed ChargeHQ 12 months ago. Since then had a problem with charging stopping just after starting.
Tesla tracked it down to an external event; changed Tesla passwords and all good.
I deleted the CHargeHQ App 12 months ago and something was still stuffing with my charging.
Tesla perhaps should list in their App who has outstanding tokens.
Those with 3rd party Apps should stop accessing the vehicle once the App is deleted.

I trialed ChargeHQ 12 months ago. Since then had a problem with charging stopping just after starting.
Tesla tracked it down to an external event; changed Tesla passwords and all good.
<snip>
Do you have a home battery? If so, I believe that the start/stop is due to the battery being given priority to charge. You can force priority back to charging your car by selecting "Charge now" and specifying the amps you want to direct so you can balance between battery and car manually.
That said, yeah, I tried deleting the app at one point only to find the car wouldn't keep charging if the battery wasn't 100%. Solved by reinstalling the app and doing the above.

But equally Vs say smartly setting your car to your normal solar curve (say 5kW from 12 till 3 for example), this is probably only saving you from paying for a few kWh a day from the grid.
Yeah, it's not going to make economic sense.

I think that instead of a monthly charge, they should charge a rate per kWh actually charged from solar under ChargeHQ control - eg. 1c/kWh. Then at least the cost is directly tied to the benefit.

Thank goodness, a useful 'get outta jail free' option on the Tesla app to release you from the control of all 3P apps

Charging by the kWh isn't their benefit, it's NOT charging when there isn't enough solar, so if they billed by the kWh they didn't charge when you would have had to pay for the power that's where it's worth it.