Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Limit will be Restricted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people balance their batteries one or two times yearly by charging to 100%, and then driving within a few minutes after the charging session completes. You may want to try that, although there are others here who say this should never be needed. Even though I agree with them, I still balance my battery once a year just in case.

We charge to 100% several times a year. Anytime we leave for a long trip we charge to 100%. We usually go on a 300+ mile road trip once a month. 40k miles per year is our average. I think ours gets well balanced to say the least. I'm just hopeful that they give us our original battery back once they repair it. We are wanting to see how long these batteries will last (in terms of miles).

The piece of information which may have some potential value is the model of the battery indicated by the last letter trailing the part number. In your case you have the “D” battery pack. (Have you got a new Battery Pack ?)

Yes new S100D
IMG_1107.JPG

You can only compare pack version letters across the same size packs. An 85 kWh D pack != 90 kWh D pack != 100 kWh D pack.

Different size packs have different part #'s. Version letter is part # specific. You can't talk about "a D pack" without specifying which one.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You can only compare pack version letters across the same size packs. An 85 kWh D pack != 90 kWh D pack != 100 kWh D pack.

Different size packs have different part #'s. Version letter is part # specific. You can't talk about "a D pack" without specifying which one.

Even further than that you can only compare the version letter from packs with the same part number before the version letter. (They made multiple 90 packs with different part numbers.)

Reactions: tga
Even further than that you can only compare the version letter from packs with the same part number before the version letter. (They made multiple 90 packs with different part numbers.)
Yes, thanks for the clarification. It's part number that matters, not just pack size. This is Tesla's standard part number/version scheme, whether packs, 14-50 adapters, brake pads, etc.

Reactions: MP3Mike
We drove down to Kansas City and got our car back with a loaner pack. 266 rated miles at 99%! I wouldn't complain if they allowed us to keep it. Ours use to charge to ~245 rated miles. I'm unsure when we will get ours back. When installing the battery they found a bolt that was damaged and they fixed it free of charge. They said it was a flaw from the factory. I included a picture with the Part number of the loaner pack. They also left a packaging slip in our car that we don't quite understand. I included a picture of it for anyone who wishes to interpret it.

tmp_25467-signal-2017-04-22-1343402055481457.jpg

Attachments

• tmp_25467-04221713521291757722.jpg
    tmp_25467-04221713521291757722.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 95
Sorry to hear about battery issues second time. Hope there won't be a third time.

Well, well, well I'm quoting this message which could only mean one thing......

Yes it has happened again. Driving home last night we go the ever so specific "Car Needs Service" message. Thinking nothing of it we continued on our way home. We were 10-15 miles out. We pull onto our road and we get several alerts all at once and the car shut power off to the drive unit. Luckily we were literally right in front of our house so my wife pulled in and it just coasted to a stop in the alley about 30 feet from our house. It had been rain very hard on the way home and at our house.

1002170954a_HDR.jpg

Minus the Park Assist Disabled these are all the error messages that popped up when it cut the power to the drive unit and have remained on since. I grabbed some jumper cables thinking it was a bad 12v to try to jump it to get it at least in our driveway. No success. Drenched from the rain I give up about 15 minutes later and wait till it stops raining (we got home around 1am). 5:30am I wake up and try again at jump starting it. I leave it hooked to our Expedition which is running for a hour and still no success. Not wanting to give up and not being able to get a hold of the Ranger I bought a battery charger for the 12v. I hooked it up and it showed 77% capacity on the 12v before charging started. Once I have it started charging I get a voicemail from the Ranger.

I call him back and he indicates that they got notified last night that our main battery has failed. This would be the loaner that they put in back in April which I assume was either new or re-manufactured because it initially had 266 rated miles on a full charge and consistently 265 for a month or two. It has since dropped to 260 or 261 rated miles as of the last full charge 9-22-17. We had an appointment Tuesday (tomorrow) to have our charge port replaced due to the locking mechanism being stuck down and thus not locking. We continued to charge despite that but the car would only allow charging at 16 amps. I don't believe nor can I see how that could affect the man battery in any way. We were as careful as possible to the point of stopping the charge via the center console before removing the charge cable from the car. The only thing I could think of would be the rain only because it happened during the rain. I shall find out sometime this week I'd imagine though. They are still trying to work out a tow from our house to the Kansas City Service Center which is around 270 miles from our house. We have since pulled it into our driveway at least by pulling it with our Expedition. The 12v battery has been fully charged but it still will not allow us to engage the drive unit due to the fault in the main battery.

Thank goodness for this warranty but this has made me uneasy to keep this car past the 8 year point. It has also made us strongly consider cancelling our Model 3 warranty since that only has a 100k mile warranty on the battery. Coming from a Nissan leaf to Tesla if it wasn't for the long unlimited mile warranty on the drive unit and battery we would have never bought this car. This will be the 3rd battery failure and we've had 2 drive units replaced in this car since we adopted it almost 3 years ago.

We have no regrets about by this car even with these problems because Tesla has always taken care of us in these cases. We are disappointed that they no longer will tow a loaner car to us as they have in the past but they are at least paying for a rental car for us until we get our car back.

I will update this as I get more information.

1002170955a.jpg

1002170954_HDR.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy and Tam
We just picked up the rental car this morning. We decided on a hybrid. The only hybrid they had at our location was a Ford hybrid. The regenerative braking is very dull in it.

I called today to check on how long we should expect to be without our car. We were told that they have two other cars that are also needing loaner packs and they've been waiting for a month now. I guess this is going to be a long wait to get our car back :(.... I just wish we could have gotten a loaner instead.

Ovet 2 weeks later and no update on when we may get our car back. BMS system failed in the battery pack and they are waiting on another loaner pack to arrive. They have no clue when that'll happen. We were quoted "weeks" when asked when we will get our car back. Very frustrating.

I'm on a loaner pack in my 2012 since January, with no idea when I might get a replacement. I just assume this pack is permanent, although I may push the issue when it comes up to the 8 year mark.

Also waiting on a replacement pack for my P90DL - no date when that will arrive, either. I've been running one module down for months now.

I'm on a loaner pack in my 2012 since January, with no idea when I might get a replacement. I just assume this pack is permanent, although I may push the issue when it comes up to the 8 year mark.

Also waiting on a replacement pack for my P90DL - no date when that will arrive, either. I've been running one module down for months now.

My goodness. So this is what I get to look forward to.

We got our car back yesterday. The fixed several things within the battery pack itself. The problem stemmed from the Battery Management System. The also proactively replaced the 12v battery since it was unsupported for over 3 weeks. We are very excited to have our car back finally and are very hopeful that this is the last battery failure for a long time in this car.

We got our car back yesterday. The fixed several things within the battery pack itself. The problem stemmed from the Battery Management System. The also proactively replaced the 12v battery since it was unsupported for over 3 weeks. We are very excited to have our car back finally and are very hopeful that this is the last battery failure for a long time in this car.

So this is your original battery I presume?