Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port not Opening on Cable Button Press

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't seem to get my cable button press to automagically open the charge port. Worked fine with the loaner MX 90D last week. Not sure if SigX was built with all the fixins for this to work once the SW upgrade made it available. Apologies if this was covered back when SW feature was pushed out ..been off the forum for some time.

On my non-sig X, my button press only works if I unlock the doors using the key fob first and the charging cable is very close to the charge port.

On my model s the key fob only had to be in my pocket and I could press the button from like 6 feet away and it would still open the charge port.

The charge port door is very sketchy on the X. I use the "hold the fob trunk button for 3 seconds" to open it most days.
Just curious as to why this would be a good feature anyway. I am probably missing something here, but isn't it easier to press the leading edge of the charge port door to open it? That certainly seems easier and faster than holding the fob trunk button for 3 seconds. I recognize that there may be situations that opening the charge port from the cable might be the better option, but I haven't experienced any.

Just curious as to why this would be a good feature anyway. I am probably missing something here, but isn't it easier to press the leading edge of the charge port door to open it?
The reason I do it is because my X doesn't automatically (proximity) unlock when I'm at the rear of it. In order to press-to-open, I need to first double tap the top of the fob to unlock the car, then press the charge port door. Holding the trunk button accomplishes all of that in one move.

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
The reason I do it is because my X doesn't automatically (proximity) unlock when I'm at the rear of it. In order to press-to-open, I need to first double tap the top of the fob to unlock the car, then press the charge port door. Holding the trunk button accomplishes all of that in one move.
Makes sense. I didn't realize that the button on the cable can open the charge port door even when the vehicle is locked. I usually have the key with me and the car always opens when I am at the rear of it, but there are ocassions when I do not have the key and this will come in handy. Glad I asked -- figured I was missing something.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The charge port on our X does not open with the button on the HPWC. I thought this was normal on the X. I usually push on the charge port door to get it to open. I've also now become accustomed to doing the same on our S.

To confirm, several of you are still using the button on the HPWC?

The charge port on our X does not open with the button on the HPWC. I thought this was normal on the X. I usually push on the charge port door to get it to open. I've also now become accustomed to doing the same on our S.

To confirm, several of you are still using the button on the HPWC?

Right. I used the button successfully on the loaner X 90D last week. It does not seem to work on my SigX P90D. Trying to understand if this is a Signature HW version issue in general or a problem with my car. It appears that both Xs had the latest SW which enabled this feature in the last month or so.

Right. I used the button successfully on the loaner X 90D last week. It does not seem to work on my SigX P90D. Trying to understand if this is a Signature HW version issue in general or a problem with my car. It appears that both Xs had the latest SW which enabled this feature in the last month or so.

Interesting. My X is a very early build (Founder #53, 12/2015) as well. Maybe Tesla didn't have the receiver part ready and decided it wasn't mandatory? Truth be told I don't mind it. If both the X and the S operated this way I'd be opening the ports on both cards accidentally all the time.

Reactions: madodel
If both the X and the S operated this way I'd be opening the ports on both cards accidentally all the time.
This is the other reason I don't use the button. Often, I unplug from the S, close the charge port door, and move the cable to the X. If I hit the button, the S port opens from across the garage. By the way, it frequently will not open if I press the button right near the port. Of course.

No luck getting it to work on my SigX (worked perfectly on the loaner X 90D) - so I'm fairly convinced that initial builds did not have the required HW installed.

I don't have another Tesla (yet), but I do see why having it work could be problematic.

Incidentally (slightly off topic) - I walked out of Trader Joe's yesterday holding several bags, looked over at my car about about 40 yards away from the building, and the front door was swung wide open! I wonder if I pocket-pressed the top of the fob inadvertently while paying at the register or pulled the bags out of the cart and against my leg. I'll need to try it at that distance to make sure it's even possible. Guess I need to be more careful with the fob or just turn the love/hate door-auto-open feature off again :(