Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a 10 years program. It would be foolish to think there won't be changes. But I believe the program is designed to get as many M3 LR on the streets as possible. Because that's the longest range EV on the market in that price range. If any company manage to produce a 300+ mi vehicle cheaper than the M3 LR that's when the limit could change and if the price point is lower, you could reduce the amount as well (i.e. if you have a 25k vehicle @300mi, 2500$ is 10% so "same" rebate). Until then assume that the program's target is 10% for the longest range EV in the "non luxury" category.

Other factor could the the Fed bill which may forces states to review their programs accordingly. TL;DR only change July 1st will be the rebate being POS but who knows for next year.

My rep had originally put my order on hold until 5/1 as a placeholder. It now looks like she must've reviewed who she had coming off of hold and now set me to come off hold on 7/1. I will post back if I get any more information, but this looks promising that perhaps we may not need to cancel/reorder, and just can't take delivery of our pre orders until after 7/1. I am sure these requests are becoming more and more common and they will push out clarification asap so they can keep people off their backs.

Just placed my order. Will definitely not pull the trigger or make changes to it until I see confirmation on these program. I have to research if there are limits like LY
congrats. yea, just sit tight with the rest of us. An extra 8 weeks to save $5k is worthwhile if that's how it needs to happen. Hopefully our preorders can help us protect the price and/or get us deliveries sooner than waiting to order until July.
Just don't fill out financing info to avoid any credit pull expiring if financing, and make sure to tell your advisor your plan.

Reactions: JavD4
New here, have a basic question about ordering: I placed an order at the beginning of April and was assigned a VIN last week. This past Friday I got an email asking me to schedule delivery. I looked online later that day and a date and time to pick up the car had already been scheduled for me (obviously a time that does not work...it’s the middle of the morning on a weekday). Is it still possible to pass on the car to wait for the POS discount? I’ve tried calling my dealership (never assigned an SA either) and nobody returns my calls. The sales agreement says if they can’t reach you to schedule they will give the car to someone else but I don’t understand how my delivery date was picked with absolutely no input from me.

New here, have a basic question about ordering: I placed an order at the beginning of April and was assigned a VIN last week. This past Friday I got an email asking me to schedule delivery. I looked online later that day and a date and time to pick up the car had already been scheduled for me (obviously a time that does not work...it’s the middle of the morning on a weekday). Is it still possible to pass on the car to wait for the POS discount? I’ve tried calling my dealership (never assigned an SA either) and nobody returns my calls. The sales agreement says if they can’t reach you to schedule they will give the car to someone else but I don’t understand how my delivery date was picked with absolutely no input from me.
Yes, if you can't make this delivery window work, you usually just get bumped back into line. It's ideal to drive that communication earlier on before getting a vin/delivery scheduled. Try to get in touch with someone and tell them that timing doesn't work for you and you would like to put the order on hold until July. Please note that this possibly could mean that when you take your order off hold you may need to wait weeks/months for the next batch of cars to be produced for our area.

Under the order agreement you "sign" by making the 100$ deposit, you agree to make yourself available within 3 days of the proposed delivery date. If you can't be made available, they will "send" the car to another customer requesting the same configuration. If you can't be made available within the 3 days window from their attempt to deliver to you within 3 months, they reserve the right to cancel delivery AND require "fair compensation" of the amount of the 100$ deposit and delivery fees at their discretion. As an example, in NJ, delivery fees are 1200$.

Did you select a drop-off location when you placed your order (I did in my case)? I would try to send an email to that service center and/or call again and if that doesn't work, I would show up in person on a Saturday to figure things out.

In theory, you can pass on that delivery date and it's unlikely they will charge delivery fees if you notify long enough ahead but that car will be assigned to someone else and you will be back in the waiting queue.

Now as to your other question about them picking a time for you, it is possible that you took too long to pick a time and that the time you got assigned was the only slot remaining within those 3 days. Doesn't matter that it's on a workday. You are buying a Tesla. Expect to have to take a day off to pick up your ride.

Finally, like most people mention in this thread, placing an order before July 1st with regards to the POS rebate is a risk where nobody exactly knows if anyone who placed an order before then can be made eligible or not. I do believe it's workable but I am entirely ok with not being able to if push come to shove.

Speaking for myself, I delayed placing my order until a time for which I was comfortable delivery dates would be around late June (I would not have ordered as early as April 1st fonr instance). I budgeted without the rebate in case it gets simpler to just take delivery when the car is ready. I made sure I got in touch with an SA within 3 days of placing my order (my SA reached out the next morning; I placed my order late Thursday evening and heard from my SA before noon on Friday). I clearly communicated my expectations about July 1st delivery date for the rebate and made sure the SA acknowledged it. He couldn't promise anything and didn't. Still no VIN and current delivery estimates May 30th to June 19th and dates have not moved at all since I placed my order.

Usually once they assign a delivery date, a Delivery person will reach out via text to confirm that date and time. I got this about 4 days prior to my delivery date and was able to move it out to the next day, a Saturday, at that time. How close is your delivery date? And where are you picking up the car?

ughh... just heard back from my SA today and not looking good for our plans to order now and hold til July. It's looking more and more like we'll have to re-order on July 1 and may have to wait until end of Q3 to receive. Here was the reply when I asked if I get a June 30th delivery date can I pick it up July 1 and still be eligible for the rebate: "Regarding holding a vehicle for you until July, we would not be able to do this. If you are assigned a vehicle at the end of June, Tesla expects you to take delivery of it and if not, we will release it to the next customer who is ready for delivery. We would keep your order in place but would assess what inventory options we have in July. If there are no inventory options, we will have to wait until the factory builds you another car."

ughh... just heard back from my SA today and not looking good for our plans to order now and hold til July. It's looking more and more like we'll have to re-order on July 1 and may have to wait until end of Q3 to receive. Here was the reply when I asked if I get a June 30th delivery date can I pick it up July 1 and still be eligible for the rebate: "Regarding holding a vehicle for you until July, we would not be able to do this. If you are assigned a vehicle at the end of June, Tesla expects you to take delivery of it and if not, we will release it to the next customer who is ready for delivery. We would keep your order in place but would assess what inventory options we have in July. If there are no inventory options, we will have to wait until the factory builds you another car."
Yeah. No. It feels like the wording from then SA is not aligned with your question. I think they get pressured to make good numbers for end-of-quarter sales. So normally the SAs would be pressured to manage deliveries to happen before the end of Q2 for earning calls.

IF you get a delivery date AND the date is not within 3 days of July what the SA is saying is true. So it's up to you to decide between "price increase + another 100$ minus rebate and unknown end of Q3 delivery date" OR "pick up now without rebate". But if the delivery date is within 3 days of july first, you could in theory show up in person at the SC, cancel-and-reorder right away with the SA+DA and get that car with rebase with the 100$ extra and the price increase. Hope it's clear. If the delivery date is earlier than June 28th, it's either wait next quarter or no rebate. Hope I am phrasing it clearly.

It's a gamble.

In reading that reply from the SA I don’t see any indication that you would have to cancel and reorder. It seems to say only that if you don’t accept delivery your assigned car would be released and you would get back in the queue for Q3. No additional 100, no price increase. Just more waiting.

Reactions: DanDi58
Yeah. No. It feels like the wording from then SA is not aligned with your question. I think they get pressured to make good numbers for end-of-quarter sales. So normally the SAs would be pressured to manage deliveries to happen before the end of Q2 for earning calls.

IF you get a delivery date AND the date is not within 3 days of July what the SA is saying is true. So it's up to you to decide between "price increase + another 100$ minus rebate and unknown end of Q3 delivery date" OR "pick up now without rebate". But if the delivery date is within 3 days of july first, you could in theory show up in person at the SC, cancel-and-reorder right away with the SA+DA and get that car with rebase with the 100$ extra and the price increase. Hope it's clear. If the delivery date is earlier than June 28th, it's either wait next quarter or no rebate. Hope I am phrasing it clearly.

It's a gamble.
Thanks for clarification, you are far more helpful than the SA, lol... Also his response now is very different from his first response to me (before I placed the order) in which he made it seem like no problem at all to pick up after July 1.

"if you order now, we can manipulate the order date by modifying your order to a different configuration and then back to the original if necessary. It sounds more complicated than it is but it's actually very simple and we would do that for you."

Thanks for clarification, you are far more helpful than the SA, lol... Also his response now is very different from his first response to me (before I placed the order) in which he made it seem like no problem at all to pick up after July 1.

"if you order now, we can manipulate the order date by modifying your order to a different configuration and then back to the original if necessary. It sounds more complicated than it is but it's actually very simple and we would do that for you."
Yeah the first answer (your current last sentence) sounds more like what most of us assumes will/can happen. It does unfreeze the price though (in your case a 1000$ increase so not 5K rebate but sorta 4K effective in my case it would be 4.5K because my frozen price is 500$ higher than yours plus options).

Yeah the first answer (your current last sentence) sounds more like what most of us assumes will/can happen. It does unfreeze the price though (in your case a 1000$ increase so not 5K rebate but sorta 4K effective in my case it would be 4.5K because my frozen price is 500$ higher than yours plus options).
When I ordered the base price was 50,990 Has it gone up again since then? And you think it will go up again before July 1? I see what you mean, at what point is it not even worth waiting for the rebate if it's just gonna be eaten away by price increases... I can't handle this level of anxiety, lol.

When I ordered the base price was 50,990 Has it gone up again since then? And you think it will go up again before July 1? I see what you mean, at what point is it not even worth waiting for the rebate if it's just gonna be eaten away by price increases... I can't handle this level of anxiety, lol.
Yeah sorry for the mix up. I ordered a M3 ended up here because of the NJ-specific topic and this thread is the one with the most info. The M3 LR went up by 500$ twice since Apr 1st. Not sure about the MY. Some people also believe the rebate might not be as high as it was. I am at a point where I'd rather have the car than the rebate all things considered but my monetary threshold for bothering is 2500$. Because 2500$ over 2-3 mo is not big enough to me to navigate the "get the rebate at all cost" hustle. Part of the appeal to buy from Tesla is avoiding legacy car dealership "negotiations".

No, you will get the lower of the price at order time or any subsequent price decreases. You're protected from price increases when you order. So, when I ordered in January, the price was $49,990 and there was a decrease in February to $48,990 - which they gave me even though all of my paperwork for the loan through Tesla was already completed.