Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it is worth, I stopped by the Paramus, NJ Tesla Store yesterday to ask about delaying delivery past 7/1. The SA I spoke with is aware of the issue and said that once a VIN is assigned I could just refuse that one and ask to be assigned to another one. He does not think that I would be pushed back to the end of the queue for a car, nor would I be subject to current pricing. All good news - assuming he is correct.
Do u remember the SA’s name? I’m working with them too and constantly reminding them aboit July 1. I’m really hoping for a June 30 delivery date and pick up on July 1 🤞

Do u remember the SA’s name? I’m working with them too and constantly reminding them aboit July 1. I’m really hoping for a June 30 delivery date and pick up on July 1 🤞
Sorry, but I never got his name. The SA I worked with to order the car has not responded to any of my e-mails on this subject. So I just walked into the store and spoke with the first person I found.

Sorry, but I never got his name. The SA I worked with to order the car has not responded to any of my e-mails on this subject. So I just walked into the store and spoke with the first person I found.
Hahaha thats true! Everytime I bring up questions regarding the rebate and delivery after July 1 they stop replying, whatever, if they want the sale they’ll figure out how to make it work, I’m hoping.. lol

I was going to call and ask about a color change on my order and see if they heard anything about he POS update. I’m guessing I can’t change my color at this point, especially not if I’d have to pay the price increases too.

I was going to call and ask about a color change on my order and see if they heard anything about he POS update. I’m guessing I can’t change my color at this point, especially not if I’d have to pay the price increases too.
I changed color and got hit with earlier $500 increase. There’s a good chance that we’ll get hit again if we need to cancel our “on hold” orders to get the POS $5k discount. Assuming it’s still $5k.

I am expecting to click the “I’m ready to take delivery” button… or the “Cancel and Re-order” buttons on July 1st. Whichever saves me the most $

I changed color and got hit with earlier $500 increase. There’s a good chance that we’ll get hit again if we need to cancel our “on hold” orders to get the POS $5k discount. Assuming it’s still $5k.

I am expecting to click the “I’m ready to take delivery” button… or the “Cancel and Re-order” buttons on July 1st. Whichever saves me the most $
I won't change the color if I have to pay two increases, as that would make my color change 3k. At that point I could get it wrapped any color on earth.

Because this is POS, I think the order thing might be less important, as the dealer and paperwork will be post 7/1 for delivery, and the dealer should be able to take it off the top.

I hope I am right, but I will be getting dangerously close to not having a car as my lease is up 6/27 and I think I can get away with returning it on the way to get my tesla on 7/1. Much later and I don't know what I will do.

Everyone is quick to assume we have to cancel the order, but this is in the original terms and conditions. Why would they change this?
"'A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease."

Everyone is quick to assume we have to cancel the order, but this is in the original terms and conditions. Why would they change this?
"'A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease."

I do hope you’re right… that we won’t need to cancel and re-order. But… until I see an authoritative clarification from Tesla … I’m taking a wait and see approach.

Because we do not know the paperwork the dealership will have to fill. I mean this only converns tesla cars so the state can basically decide on implementation if they want to deny Tesla the flexibility. My original take was that Tesla could negotiate to get the pre july orders be eligible to not throw off their Q2 figures needlessly but given they are sold out I don’t think Tesla need NJ’s sales at all.
Tesla will sell more cars in NJ a year than there is funding so to them that the prejuly gets it or not won’t change anything for them. Unless is screwing around to get the rebate and work around the system gets costly/annoying.

I have a question, I submitted my trade in info and now they want the title and drivers ID to validate it. If I drag my feet on submitting those things will it delay me matching with a VIN? Or could I be matched with a VIN while still not having the trade in and insurance info completed?

I have a question, I submitted my trade in info and now they want the title and drivers ID to validate it. If I drag my feet on submitting those things will it delay me matching with a VIN? Or could I be matched with a VIN while still not having the trade in and insurance info completed?
What happened to me was they set it as no trade for in paying cash in full for me within the 72 hours window following my order. I had uploaded my driver’s license.

Does anyone have any idea when the NJ Legislature will vote on the budget for the fiscal year starting 7/1/21 so we can get some clarity on this incentive? I went through the budget document that Murphy has proposed and I don't see any mention of this.
My understanding is that the budget was approved in late feb/early mar. I think what is left is "behind the scenes" implementation of the program with dealerships. I expect some announcement before July 1st but that could be June 30th.

So to answer your question: yes the vote was voted already but this doesn't bring any further clarity beyond what we already know, that is the program will start again July 1st and there is no further info (than what is on the charge up website).

me too..
What happened to me was they set it as no trade for in paying cash in full for me within the 72 hours window following my order. I had uploaded my driver’s license.
so all the paperwork Ive done so far will be wiped out once I match with a VIN if its not complete? That seems counter productive I was just hoping I could drag my feet with the paperwork and it would delay me matching so I can get the latest delivery possible. This process is so unclear

My understanding is that the budget was approved in late feb/early mar. I think what is left is "behind the scenes" implementation of the program with dealerships. I expect some announcement before July 1st but that could be June 30th.

So to answer your question: yes the vote was voted already but this doesn't bring any further clarity beyond what we already know, that is the program will start again July 1st and there is no further info (than what is on the charge up website).
Thanks. I guess the two big questions are the amount of the rebate and at which MSRP it will apply. As we saw from a previous post in this thread, New York State made some pretty significant changes to their program.

My understanding is that there was nothing in the board minutes that mentioned a change in the amount and they have not updated the website to reflect a change in that direction. So I do not expect an amount change. I mean, I extracted the sales figures of EV in NJ and if you take the total amount of funds divided by the max rebate, that about 6000 cars. This is about 1/3 the number of EVs currently on the roads in the state. So I guess the bulk of the program gets sucked by hybrids, not EVs. So it's probably a better idea to keep the amount as is and limit the hybrids instead. I don't think there is any sound logic behind reducing the amount if the goal of the program is to get as many EVs on the roads as possible.

This is all speculation on my part.

My understanding of the program is that the ideal car for the program is the LR M3. If you want it red white interior and 19" wheels, the 55K limit is near. so I wouldn't expect that to change either. however, I am less sure how "ideal" the MY is toward the program and if you want the fully equipped MY LR (with hitch etc) you are above the threshold already.