Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland - App or RFID card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope to drive up to Scotland for some golf during the year when my M3 arrives and I have downloaded the Charge Your Car app which works with Chargeplace Scotland but was wondering if I need to spend the £20 per annum for the RFID card too in case I am somewhere with no mobile signal.

What would you all advise please?

Hard to tell without knowing where you're going in Scotland and which mobile network you're with.

The mobile operators all have sites where you can enter postcodes to obtain network coverage, but £20 spent is probably reassuring especially as the charging is free.

I'm with Vodafone. Will be heading up to Muirfield and Dornoch. I think I will just spend the £20!

Actually, if you're based in England you could sign up with Home Page - ChargeYourCar

They provide a card and membership with them also grants you access to the Scottish network.

Yes, I was wondering about that option, though I think the outcome is the same because I understand the Scottish card works with CYC in England and vice versa (no doubt someone will be able to confirm or otherwise ..)

Yes, I was wondering about that option, though I think the outcome is the same because I understand the Scottish card works with CYC in England and vice versa (no doubt someone will be able to confirm or otherwise ..)
You’re correct, the CPS and the CYC cards are interchangeable. And the charge is the same for both. I’d certainly recommend spending the £20. When we went to Skye last year there were a few chargers in very remote areas.

Oh I'm so glad you edited to add that e to Sky ... I held back from mentioning it but I was getting very tense .... aaand relax ..... :)

I have a friend who works for Sky TV and a few years ago during a conversation she kept saying "I love Sky" which I thought was a bit bizarre and random/keen but, you know, whatever! It took me a while to work out she was saying "Isle of Skye".

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Adopado
I have a friend who works for Sky TV and a few years during a conversation she kept saying "I love Sky" which I thought was a bit bizarre and random/keen but, you know, whatever! It took me a while to work out she was saying "Isle of Skye".

There's a car sticker (like I love N Y) but it's done as "I heart Skye" which of course when spoken sounds like both "I love Skye" and "Isle of Skye" ... a wee tourist industry bonus! (I guess most islands probably do the same thing with their stickers nowadays.)

Reactions: AnthonyLR
How much is typical CYC prices? I've just looked at a handful of sites (pain to do as website reverts to full uk) that I may use if away and most only show connection charges, not charge cost. Then you get things like

Price
Min charge £1.50 surcharge of £5 for any usage over 1 hour.

Odd its worded a min charge if only a connection charge.

Only one explicitly mentioned "Free tariff ".

Is a CYC card needed even for free ones? Or is the app enough - I have the app on my phone but seems like i can't access info on some charge points or its hit and miss, even if on broadband and I seem to get a less useful list than website - would probably be easier if I was currently in area I am researching.

Looks like I need to sign up to CYC network, even better if rfid card if it made the process painless.

I live in Scotland and paid up my money for the card even before I got my MX. Mobile reception is very very patchy but even when good I find it much easier to simply slap the card against the charger and charge away. Dornoch and Muirfield are ok areas but be aware that Dumfries and Galloway and Dundee City are no longer free and that Aberdeenshire have voted to charge 15p/Kw but it hasn’t kicked in yet.

My understand is the RFID card is linked to your online a/c - Im going App to start with to see how it goes, RFID card is more for peace of mind if no mobile data signal - would be cool if the Tesla RFID key card could be paired to my online a/c...

I live in Scotland and paid up my money for the card even before I got my MX. Mobile reception is very very patchy but even when good I find it much easier to simply slap the card against the charger and charge away. Dornoch and Muirfield are ok areas but be aware that Dumfries and Galloway and Dundee City are no longer free and that Aberdeenshire have voted to charge 15p/Kw but it hasn’t kicked in yet.

Orkney isn't free either

• Informative
Reactions: Tonybvi
I'd recommend a card. Some chargers don't accept phones, think it's more to do with the charger than phone reception. The charge place Scotland website has some details eg. Crianlarich charger...

Attachments

• 20200306_195228.jpg
    20200306_195228.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 134
We tried charging for the first time last night using the App and failed despite having good mobile connection and adding my card details to the app account. There must be some simple step I have missed I think but the charging pillar doesnt appear to provide any info apart from confirming the 2 bays are operational. We gave up last night in the rain and will try again this am