Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging @ 40AMP - Volt differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone can explain why on a 40AMP circuit there are different volts at two separate locations I use to charge my 2015 Model S. My home 240 outlet gives me 248V at 40AMP and a public charging location gives me 206V at 40AMP. See attached pictures. What would be the reason for the differences on voltage?

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 68
Would this make my home outlet a single phase then?
Not quite. The usual term for it is "split phase". It has to do with the frequency of the alternating current on the different lines and how far they are shifted off from each other. Here is a good easy to see explanation of single phase, split phase, and three phase.
3 Phase Power vs Single Phase Power • OEM Panels

Single phase is just a 120V line to neutral.
Split phase has two different 120V lines, which are 180 degrees shifted from each other, so they are always totally opposite voltage from each other, which equals 240V total difference between them.
Three phase has three different lines at 120V, but they are all shifted by 120 degrees apart from each other, so the usable voltage difference between any two lines is 120V times the square root of 3, which works out to about 208V.

• Informative
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I learned this the hard way when I was expecting to get 29MPH on a 40A public HPWC, only to find that it was only 24MPH. My 240V/40A at home is 9600 watts but the 208V/40A is only 8000 watts.

Volts X Amps = Watts and watts are what matters.