TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging a Model S In the Wild

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Todd Burch, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I locked down my Tesla-J1772 adaptor - not because I was overly worried that someone might take it, but because IF someone took it, continued charging on my roadtrip was a problem. Regardless of the low probability, the severity was too high to accept. So I locked it to the car.

Of course now I have the cool adaptor that hcsharp has made - and that has an easy lock solution.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Copper thieves are one good possibility for UMC theft. Also the gas cap on the Land-Rover Series III had to be locked because other Land-Rover owners would take them.

3. daniel

daniel Active Member

We need a poll: Which is scarier, Sharktopus or a Velociraptor? I vote the latter. But I admit I would be concerned about someone stealing my UMC if I ever used it away from home.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Good question. In a year with my Roadster I've only charged away from home when I was making a point to use the charge station (encouraging local authorities and at events, that sort of thing); I could have done 100% of my charging at home - Actually makes me wonder why I paid $750 for the J1772 adaptor? :frown:

5. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

There is a market for goods of all kinds. While only only certain car owners can use one, that doesn't mean an enterprising person might not steal a bunch and sell them cheaper (especially online, e.g., eBay), without saying where they got them.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If Tesla put a serial number on each one, it would be pretty easy to verify they were legitimate. Also Tesla doesn't sell them to wholesalers so if someone is has a dozen in inventory...

7. daniel

daniel Active Member

Not to mention vandalism. Stealing them just to be nasty, and then throwing them away (to reduce the risk of getting caught). I believe that most people are basically decent. But there are always exceptions.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I came up with this dirt cheap security idea, which should easily work with the new UMC.

9. spatterso911

spatterso911 P100DL - Raven

Simply brilliant idea! Thanks Nigel

10. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

This is a simple and elegant solution. Great idea!

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

This item will go on sale this week as soon as the web site is finished. It is a better than the cable and lock as it prevents the cable from sliding and going to another car. I'll advise when the site is up and tested. $40

http://connectorprotector.com

photo cp.jpg

12. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

NigelM, I have a variation of that with my Volt. But haven't had to use it yet, fortunately, but its in my trunk space in case I feel the need.

I know this is only meant to be a deterrent, and not a failsafe. It's not impossible to lift your car enough to remove it. Esp. if its a group of vandals. (You'd think it won't be an issue, but if you charge using your UMC regularly in the same spot, it won;don't be hard for people to plan ahead.) But perhaps you could thread the lock strap through your wheel spoke. Would make it just a little more difficult, thus being a slightly higher deterrent (though still not a failsafe). But it might be enough more to make it even less appealing to tamper.

As for the cable protector, I have something like that also. It's just slightly more of a hassle since you have to set it up then run your tire over it just to the right position.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Cu thieves will just cut the cable. Assuming they can stop the power.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

When vandals/thieves are walking around with these things, you're parked in the wrong part of town:
    yhst-17665666401044_2214_121389426.gif

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

As someone who use a bicycle as my only (other than transit) transportation for about 4 years I fear bolt cutters. They are easily put into a backpack. I have seen a bicycle get stolen in about 10 seconds.

Guy walking out of the subway station.
    Swings backpack to front, pull out bolt cutters (the handles may have been cut short).
    Cuts about 3 locks. Pulls 1 bike from the rack.
    Picks it up, and about 5 seconds prior to that a pickup truck pulled up to the curb, and puts it in the truck.
    He gets in the passenger seat and they drive off.

It looked like he just came out of the station with a bike and got picked up by a friend. I don't know why he cut that many locks though. It was really weird.

This is also why I brought my bike to class with me while at college.

I would think the amount of power going through the wire would deter some people. I also imagine that having your cord cut and stolen would be less likely than them smashing your window and grabbing stuff from the car.

16. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

A bike in Amsterdam changes from owner about 25 times in it's lifetime: bikes amsterdam - Google Search

I honestly don't think anybody is going to cut a charging cable with a boltcutter when they are not able to cut the power.

Could be that it's due to the location where I live, but I don't see people stealing charging cables in the near future.

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

18. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

what's the maximum cable diameter?

19. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

#39 Lloyd, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    We tested it with 27 mm cable and it could go larger than that if necessary.

20. AndyM

AndyM Member

Just disconnect it from the charge port? Power is cut when not connected, for safety.
    Then again, if the goal is to steal and resell the cable, doesn't cutting the cable render it mostly useless?
    Is the cost of repairing a cable + the discount you'd need to sell a damaged/repaired cable a disincentive to the crime?