Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How common are Type 1 chargers?
I use it most regularly at Westfield Bondi Junction that still has some ChargePoint chargers that were installed In about 2013 and feature J1772 plugs.
There are still a few of these old ChargePoint installations around but I would not buy the adapter unless you have a specific use case.

Can someone recommend a quality Type 1 to Type 2 adapter?

I don’t like the cabled adaptors with the J-1772 panel socket that looks untidy and out of place. I purchased a barrel adaptor from AliExpress that is much neater, like this one:

Having said that, I’ve never used it. AC chargers with tethered J-1772 plugs on them are becoming increasingly rare as @meloccom notes. Earlier this year the ten station Chargepoint J-1772 chargers at the ICC Sydney - which used to be the largest Chargepoint site in the country - were changed out to NRMA-branded Type 2 ones.

I don’t like the cabled adaptors with the J-1772 panel socket
specific use case

Tesla shop sell similar barrel but not the Australian shop
Does the Type 1 barrel supply 3 phase 11kW?

My local shopping centre has a free (currently, but not sure for how long) ChargeFox/EVlink. It has a Type 2 port and they supply a Type 2 to Type 1 cable. The cable can be disconnected from the charging box. (They also have 2x 22kW Gen 2 destination chargers but they are always occupied by Teslas). I just about drop by there nearly every day and after hours, so would like to top up the charge while I'm there while the battery is warm.

Of course, it is susceptible to people pulling out the cable at either end while Im charging. But can't complain when its free

IMG_0540.jpg

So my options are to get a Type 2 barrel adapter or a Mennekes.
A standard blue Mennekes does not come with a Charge port button which raises the question of theft. However I note that EVChargers make a Mennekes style with a charge port button which apparently works in the same way as a tesla charge port button (for the 11kW version) but costs $395

If I charge for 3 hours per week at the free ChargeFox = 33kW
If I charged the same 33kW overnight a home using off peak ,it would cost circa 20c/kW = $6.6 a week
To recoup $395 would take me 60 weeks. But there is utility in having a Mennekes in the boot as a backup

Last edited:
Does the Type 1 barrel supply 3 phase 11kW?
Type 1 doesn't have enough pins for three phase. Same as CCS1.
It's why Type 2 / CCS2 became the standard in Europe/Australia and why NACS will never become a "thing" here.
Of course, it is susceptible to people pulling out the cable at either end while Im charging. But can't complain when its free
The cable will be latched at both ends while charging is in progress.
So my options are to get a Type 2 barrel adapter or a Mennekes.
Get a type2-type2 cable if you want three phase speeds.

But don't buy a cable just for "free" charging. Buy one if you need it.

A standard blue Mennekes does not come with a Charge port button which raises the question of theft. However I note that EVChargers make a Mennekes style with a charge port button which apparently works in the same way as a tesla charge port button (for the 11kW version) but costs $395
I used my blue Mennekes cable recently in an AC Qld Electric Superhighway charger because the DC charger kept faulting. It locked in the car's charging port, even when charging was complete. I had to unlock the port in the app to disconnect from the car. I don't think the absence of a dedicated button on the blue cable is a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst

A standard blue Mennekes does not come with a Charge port button which raises the question of theft.

The Type 2 plug is captively locked into the charge port during and after charging, preventing removal. The charge port button on the plug is merely a “convenience”, it does not provide additional security.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst

Super cheap has cables
These single phase ones are on clearance special. 5meter $150 type 2 to type 2 (or type 1). Not sure if it is all stores.

This link should show a few more items then the first link posted here,

These single phase ones are on clearance special. 5meter $150 type 2 to type 2 (or type 1). Not sure if it is all stores.

This link should show a few more items then the first link posted here,
Just be aware that you will only get 3.7Kw (11Kw/3) charging power with a single phase Type 2 to Type 2 cable. A three phase version will allow up to 11Kw so is worth the extra cost and weight.

Reactions: RichardV
That one is 32A single phase so will do 7kW, on the Model 3/Y at least.
@meloccom is saying, correctly, that a 7kW cable on an 11kW 3 phase charger that you will only get 3.7kW on a Tesla Model 3/Y (or really anything).

A 32A 7kW cable will give you:
7kW on a 7kW single phase charger,
3.7kW on an 11kW three phase charger,
7kW on a 22kW three phase charger
For an 11kW 3 phase on board charger, eg Tesla Model 3/Y. As well as a 7kW single phase on board charger.

A 16A 11kW cable will give you:
3.7kW on a 7kW single phase charger,
11kW on an 11kW three phase charger,
11kW on a 22kW three phase charger
For an 11kW 3 phase on board charger, eg Tesla Model 3/Y.

A 16A 11kW cable will give you:
3.7kW on a 7kW single phase charger,
3.7kW on a 22kW three phase charger
For an 7kW single phase on board charger, eg Atto 3.

A 32A 22kW cable will give you:
11kW on an 11kW three phase charger,
11kW on a 22kW three phase charger
For an 11kW 3 phase on board charger which is able to reconfigure 2 phases to run in series. 7kW on single phase due to reconfigure in series. eg Tesla Model 3/Y. I don't know if other non-Tesla 11kW cars do this.

A 32A 22kW cable will give you:
7kW on a 22kW three phase charger
For an 7kW single phase on board charger, eg Atto 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Zinzilla
The cable will do 7Kw, when connected to a car capable of 7Kw per phase like the earlier Model S with 22Kw 3 phase onboard AC chargers. The limiting factor here is the Model 3/Y that only supports 3.7Kw per phase, making up a total of 11Kw When connected to 3 phase.
Note that the Model 3/Y can do 7kW on a single phase supply. This is what a typical home install wall connector will be with single phase. The combining of the 2 on board charge units occurs on the car side here not in the wall connector. Earlier Model S (and maybe X?) relied on the phase combining in the Tesla wall charger and earlier UMC chargers. There was/(still is) a retrofit that Tesla service did to add this relay harness to earlier Model S that only had 11kW onboard chargers without the relay harness. If there is a Model S around that only gets 3.7kW on a 7kW non-tesla charger it might still be eligible for this service update.