Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging - anyone else having issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has been a bit odd (PodPoint as well) lately - I have a scheduled departure set for 7am. I plugged in at about 5:45pm the day before, but it started charging straight away (from 47% to 71%). It then came on again about 50 minutes later to take it from 71% to 77% and stop, then again after about another 40 minute pause to go from 77% to 82%, then 70 minutes later from 82% to 89%, then finally from 89% to 90% (as requested) to finish about 30 minutes before 7am.

No intervention from me at all...

What is going on there - any thoughts?

I also have a Pod-Point and have exactly the same issue. On 2020.20.17 and as soon as I plug it in to the charger upon getting home from work (scheduled departure 6:45 am) it starts charging and will charge for 2.5 hrs before stopping. So much for economy 7!

I also have a Pod-Point and have exactly the same issue. On 2020.20.17 and as soon as I plug it in to the charger upon getting home from work (scheduled departure 6:45 am) it starts charging and will charge for 2.5 hrs before stopping. So much for economy 7!

What happens if you stop the charge on the app just after it has started? I would have thought that it should pick up again later to be ready for 6:45.

Not really a solution for Economy 7 but will stop immediate charging - slide the charge level on the app to a lower % than current so it doesn't need to start immediately then reset late evening.

Reactions: TM3P1
What happens if you stop the charge on the app just after it has started? I would have thought that it should pick up again later to be ready for 6:45.

Did try this...still said charging scheduled and scheduled departure 6:45 am. Woke up in the morning to go to work, car had not charged at all since I stopped the charging manually in the app :(

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
2020.20.12 is only causing the 16amp charge rather than 32 amp issue as far as I’m aware, and even then it’s a bit random.
What charger are you using?

Hi - i have been having problems with home charging my 3 for a few months. 7.2 Kw Rolec charger only runs at 4Kw ( 16Amp not 32 ). TBF Rolec have changed every component of the charger and not been able to fix it.
M installer has also fitted a Zappi to try something else and it does the same!
I am fine on Tesla Chargers and Polar but home is hopeless.
Tesla insist this is the charger not the car and wil not investigate properly......

Anybody know how to fix it??

Hi - i have been having problems with home charging my 3 for a few months. 7.2 Kw Rolec charger only runs at 4Kw ( 16Amp not 32 ). TBF Rolec have changed every component of the charger and not been able to fix it.
Tesla insist this is the charger not the car and wil not investigate properly......

If you mean it's ok on Tesla Superchargers then that's a different aspect as it charges using DC not AC. I am guessing the Polar was DC too (CCS connector). You need to try an AC 7kW charger in another location ... any should do. It's rare that it is the car causing the issue but it can happen. If Tesla are saying its the charge point then they should have seen some data on the car that tells them the charge point is only "offering" 16amps to the car. You can see this on the car screen when it's actually charging. There is a number of amps that the charge point is offering and a number of amps that the car is actually drawing. If the charger is only offering 16 amps then the first response is going to be that it's the charge point's issue.

Don't suppose you've tried increasing the current/amp setting in the car while it is charging?

If you mean it's ok on Tesla Superchargers then that's a different aspect as it charges using DC not AC. I am guessing the Polar was DC too (CCS connector). You need to try an AC 7kW charger in another location ... any should do. It's rare that it is the car causing the issue but it can happen. If Tesla are saying its the charge point then they should have seen some data on the car that tells them the charge point is only "offering" 16amps to the car. You can see this on the car screen when it's actually charging. There is a number of amps that the charge point is offering and a number of amps that the car is actually drawing. If the charger is only offering 16 amps then the first response is going to be that it's the charge point's issue.
Yes it seems to be ac charger problem. But what usually happens is plug in and climbs up to 7kw for a few minutes then drops back down to 4kw. It sometimes shows 32 amp then drops back to 16.

It seems like the charger is misreporting what it can deliver but could be the car. Could it be related to the supply to the charger given both are behaving in the same way? Like someone mentioned sounds like you need to try another AC point to rule out the car. PodPoint in Tesco are fairly common, I always get about 7kW from those.

Yes it seems to be ac charger problem. But what usually happens is plug in and climbs up to 7kw for a few minutes then drops back down to 4kw. It sometimes shows 32 amp then drops back to 16.

upload_2020-11-21_18-18-35.png

Yes, I would lean towards that being the issue. The car starts at full rate then backs off. Franklin Mint needs to see if other AC chargers on a different supply have a similar issue.... if so then it's likely the car but if not it's got to be the home supply or installation.

So I have just been to a friend's and plugged to his pod point.

7kw at 32 amps. All good.

Driven home plugged to rolec and 4kw at 16amps.

So then did full factory reset. Connected to rolec and still no good. But then plugged to the zappi and it's working!! Previously did same as the rolec.

This makes no sense.....I have seen elsewhere mention of cars remembering location and restricting charging..but as the rolec still fails I don't understand.

It currently lists it's location as Paolo alto...probably needs a drive.

My guess is that if it's not the location issue it's the issue highlighted by @VanillaAir_UK , the charger(s) may be detecting a voltage drop under load and throttling back the charge current. Easy to check, just means measuring the supply voltage at the charge point on no load and under load. The Tesla chargers seem to be more sensitive to voltage drop than those in other EVs. Probably for ostensibly good safety reasons, as an excessive voltage drop on charge can be indicative of a fault, but it does seem they may be overly sensitive for the normal range of supply voltages here in the UK (the normal single phase supply here is 230 VAC, +10%, -6%, so anything from 216 VAC to 253 VAC is OK).

I doubt the problem is with either of the two charge points you've tried, but it could be related to the cable and RCD/RCBO/MCB etc supplying it. A check for the voltage drop on that cable, under load, might be an idea, too. The tolerance on supply voltage variation and the unknown threshold that the charger(s) use to determine when to throttle back charge current, may well mean that an installation that's within the acceptable limit, in terms of the supply, may be outwith the limit that Tesla have set in the charger(s). It would be nice to know for sure what this voltage drop threshold is, and also exactly how the current throttling works, as I'm not sure the description in the manual is 100% accurate (others have reported the current dropping to 15 A/16 A from what might be the same cause).

It currently lists it's location as Paolo alto...probably needs a drive.

It shouldn't need a drive to get it's location sorted ... but this could be related to the charging issue or may just be a temporary spurious issue after the reset. Once you have your car location showing correctly it's worth trying again. The fact you charged successfully elsewhere could reinforce the idea that the issue is location/home charge point related. Though the car charging capability has been confirmed as working OK it still leaves the possibility of the car being at fault, not because of its charging function but because of the location geofencing aspect i.e. it think it can only charge at a particular rate in a particular location.