Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging excitement? (Was: you know you bought the right car when…)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
I find myself utterly entranced, eagerly monitoring charging rates, especially on road trips, eagerly checking the app. Am I the only one electrified by this charging excitement?

Look at that 14-50 just begging to be used!

IMG_8490.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8492.jpeg
    IMG_8492.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8491.jpeg
    IMG_8491.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 31
For me, related to charging, the "epiphany" moment after I bought my car in the beginning of December of 2018, was after the first 4-5 days of ownership and it dawned on me that "oh yeah, I dont have to plan to go to the gas station before I drive to work, or go get gas during lunchtime before I drive home....."

My commute to the office is about 80 miles round trip, and in my previous car (a BMW 435 Msport that I drove in sport mode all the time, and got around 17 MPG) I had to fill up every 4 ish days or so.

After just under 5 years, charging at home, overnight, in my garage is still the single greatest feature of owning this car to me. Its the reason my wife asked me to sell her BMW X3 M40, and get her a model Y... she was tired of going to gas stations, even though she is retired and only had to go about once every 3 weeks or so.

Nobody really likes going to a gas station.

Sure, but until you dont have to do it, you simply dont realize how much time it actually takes out of other things. I mean, I had been going to a gas station to put gas in my car since I started driving, which for me was 15 1/2 years old (officially anyway) and I got my model 3 when I was 51 years old.

Reactions: jsight
Sure, but until you dont have to do it, you simply dont realize how much time it actually takes out of other things. I mean, I had been going to a gas station to put gas in my car since I started driving, which for me was 15 1/2 years old (officially anyway) and I got my model 3 when I was 51 years old.
I'm always amused when people ask me "but you have to wait around for it to charge" stuff, and I point out how much time all those 5 minutes add up over a year at the gas station. Based on my driving patterns, I reckon I spend a good hour or so LESS fueling/charging than I did with an ICE car.

I find myself utterly entranced, eagerly monitoring charging rates, especially on road trips, eagerly checking the app. Am I the only one electrified by this charging excitement?

Look at that 14-50 just begging to be used!

View attachment 986262
Absolutely! I find myself monitoring just for curiosity.

And I almost always try out charging stations whenever I get the chance. Even CCS via the adapter.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I'm a noob when it comes to EV's. Bought my first, MYP, in August and now have 1,999 miles on it. What have I NOT done since I bought it?
1. gone to get gas
2. gone to get an oil change
3. waited in line for emissions check
4. had to stay out of the HOV lane (Phoenix, AZ)

It depends where you live and the weather. Relatively low density area with lots of gas stations so no waits, no significant diversion and no big deal except when it's really cold.

Having a garaged EV does add refueling without as much exposure to the elements and it does save some time in normal routine, but I think I'm still losing time because of fast charging on longer journeys with my Kona, and I think it'd still be true with a Tesla or other faster charging EV.

But in more densely populated areas with busy gas stations you have to divert to, I can imagine that home charging would be a huge benefit.

Last edited: