Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in a high-rise condo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening!

My Tesla Model 3 is arriving in 2 weeks. Now I live in a high-rise condo which currently only has 110V outlets in the garage (it will take time for the homeowners association to upgrade the garage).

My parking spot has a 110V wall outlet with two (duplex) receptacles. Now Tesla's power plug is pretty big and would cover both receptacles. My question is, would I be able to plug in two Teslas in the two separate receptacles? Would the charge rate be reduced by half? I am thinking I need two extension cords, each plug into a separate receptacle. There are many Tesla owners in the building, and we are supposed to be sharing the outlets.

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I did use the search function, but I think my situation is rather unique. Thanks.

Good evening!

My Tesla Model 3 is arriving in 2 weeks. Now I live in a high-rise condo which currently only has 110V outlets in the garage (it will take time for the homeowners association to upgrade the garage).

My parking spot has a 110V wall outlet with two (duplex) receptacles. Now Tesla's power plug is pretty big and would cover both receptacles. My question is, would I be able to plug in two Teslas in the two separate receptacles? Would the charge rate be reduced by half? I am thinking I need two extension cords, each plug into a separate receptacle. There are many Tesla owners in the building, and we are supposed to be sharing the outlets.

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I did use the search function, but I think my situation is rather unique. Thanks.

120v receptacles (they have not been 110v for decades) are *very* slow to charge an EV. How much driving do you do on average per day? Some folks can live on 120v charging, but others can not.

Generally you only really want to be plugging in EV's to charge off dedicated circuits. As others have stated, a single EV can take 100% of the capacity of the circuit trivially. I would never try charging two EV's on the same circuit.

I would say to you that the first thing you need to do is to work with the building to figure out what circuit that receptacle is connected to (off which panel, etc...) Then you need to figure out what all other receptacles might be on the same outlet so that you avoid conflicting with another EV or any other loads in the garage. I have a transmitter I can plug into a receptacle and then a receiver I can go scan over a circuit breaker panel to give me some guess as to which circuit something is. Then turn it off and test all the receptacles you can find to verify which ones are on that circuit, then turn it back on and verify all those receptacles come back on.

Is it a 15a circuit (unlikely in a commercial garage) or a 20a circuit? First thing to do is to look at a picture of the receptacle to see if it has the sideways notch slot (post a picture here). Then once you identify the circuit in the panel verify if it is a 15a or 20a breaker (note it could be a 20a breaker on a 15a receptacle - this is allowed).

If it is a 20a receptacle and 20a circuit, then the first thing you need to do is order the 20a adapter for the UMC from Tesla for $35. Get that on it's way now since it will give you more than a 33% bump in charging speed (goes from 12a to 16a of charge amps, but increased charging speed is much more since you have fixed losses to run the cooling pump for instance).

If it was me (and I owned the condo and intended to keep living there) I would either be pushing to have my own special charging solution installed, OR I would be pushing for a more "global" method to making charging available to any tenant that wanted it (with fair costs to all involved).

A friend in Seattle helped his Condo design a system where the HOA paid to deploy electrical panels in the garage to support charging for any tenant that wanted it (not sure if those were joint HOA funds, or just paid by the initial round of EV owners that wanted service), and then each EV owner had to pay for their own transformer and install of conduit/wire from those panels to their spots. They ended up charging a flat $10 a month or something for power so they could avoid having to meter each spot. Power in Seattle is cheap and so it was not worth the overhead to read meters and bill.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Right, it is 120V, not sure why I keep saying 110V.

I have attached a picture here. It is indeed a 20a circuit. A neighbor is currently using the bottom receptacle, and I am hoping to use the top receptacle. Assuming the two receptacles are connected to the same 20a breaker, would charging two EVs likely to trip the breaker (as opposed to 15a breaker).

I bought the condo a few months ago. The HOA has been trying to retrofit the garage for some time, there have been numerous committee meetings and board meetings, but seems like we are at an impasse. Great that your friend managed to do it. Do you think he would mind sharing his design?

Attachments

• 20181104_201149.jpg
    20181104_201149.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 101

I have attached a picture here. It is indeed a 20a circuit. A neighbor is currently using the bottom receptacle, and I am hoping to use the top receptacle. Assuming the two receptacles are connected to the same 20a breaker, would charging two EVs likely to trip the breaker (as opposed to 15a breaker).

I bought the condo a few months ago. The HOA has been trying to retrofit the garage for some time, there have been numerous committee meetings and board meetings, but seems like we are at an impasse. Great that your friend managed to do it. Do you think he would mind sharing his design?

My first question would be, do you know that this duplex receptacle is the only receptacle on this 20A circuit back to the breaker panel?

I forgot to mention. There is a supercharger on my way to work (convenient location with grocery/restaurants/gym). I plan to be using the supercharger on a weekly basis. I drive around 30 miles a day.

Unfortunately, this receptacle is my only option in the garage, since we all have our assigned parking spaces.

I don't know, but I will try to find out from the HOA. I don't even know if the homeowners have access to the garage breaker panel. Thanks!

You should have a maintenance person who is onsite that might be cooperative, shot the breeze with him and see if he can enlighten you with the details.

See if you could take pictures of the box, the breakers, the breaker that is associated with your outlet. The distance your outlet is from the breaker box would also be of interest. A electrician looking over this information might be able to give you some idea what might be involved.

It is unfortunate that outside of living in your own home, a apartment, condo, rental house, etc. is often a challenge to get acceptable charging options for ev owners.

95% likely that both receptacles share one circuit.

So the other person using that receptacle: Do they have the 5-15 adapter, or a 5-20 adapter?

If a 5-15 then it will be drawing a max of 12a. If 5-20 then a max of 16a. Per the NEC, you do not ever want to draw more than 80% the capacity of the circuit when using a "continuous load" (which an EVSE is per the NEC definition). Also, over 80% you are likely to blow the breaker as it heats up at some point.

Two EV's on a 20a 120v circuit is not likely a very tenable solution. In theory you could time share by using a transfer switch of some kind (or trying to coordinate schedules somehow, perhaps using an API based tool), but the using "schedules" thing likely would not meet code without a hard transfer switch. You could also each commit to setting your cars to draw only 8 amps each (assuming nothing else was on that circuit), but this would be even more painful since the fixed charging losses would eat nearly all that electricity, leaving very little to actually charge.

So that looks like conduit inside of concrete probably? If you were really lucky, you might have conduit with enough space available in it back to a panel that had sufficient capacity remaining (most likely limiting factor would be a step down transformer) that you could add say a second circuit just for yourself separate from your neighbor. Depending on how things are setup, maybe you could even leave the existing circuit in place (since I am betting it also serves other receptacles elsewhere) and you could add a dedicated circuit for you and for your neighbor (that would then meet code btw as long as they had a GFCI outlet on them). If there was conduit space available and spots in the panel and capacity on the transformer, then this might be really inexpensive to re-conductor and pop in a couple of breakers. For your driving pattern this might work just fine for you.

Heck, you might even be able to get a 240v circuit going. I just realized that if you did a 208/240v circuit you and your neighbor Tesla could install Wall Connectors and link them. So even if all you could support was a 20a 208v circuit, you could have them linked such that it smartly shared that capacity. When both are charging, you would each get 50%, but when only one needed juice it would get the full thing (or maybe not quite, since I think it reserves something and holds it back for the other car? - not 100% sure)

For my friends setup, I don't remember all the details, but his Condo was very modern and had modern electrical switchgear. They have a plenty large feed from the utility and they had a single breaker position available of I think 800 amps on the main switchgear. They ran that to another piece of switchgear which I think had two 400a breakers. Then from each breaker they fed a set of panels that were "stacked" on different floors of the garage. So one panel on the East side and one on the West side of each floor of the garage. All the vertically stacked panels shared a single 400a bus (feed in and fed out of every panel).

So that basic infrastructure was relatively inexpensive. You are talking just core drilling, conduit, panels, and the switchgear breakers (plus all the labor of course). Then as each tenant decides to get an EV they pay to add conduit from the closest panel to their parking spot where they bolt a transformer above each spot (on the wall or something) to just feed that one spot. Each person decides how big a transformer and wire to run depending on their needs. This allows for incremental deployment of EV charging without a one-size-fits-all approach. I think they had some scale solution where each person to deploy EV charging paid some of the common infrastructure costs based on the number of amps of service they wanted.

Since the wire to each parking spot was running at 480v the conduit and wire costs were much lower than say 208v. Then they also purchase a 480 to 240v stepdown transformer for each spot instead of stepping down to 208v. It is 15% faster than 208v for the same wire! I think they did put a meter on the 800a feed that was dedicated to EV charging just so they could keep tabs on how much the EV users were using. If the $10/mo they charged each one does not end up covering it in the future they can just up that rate, or eventually, they could go make every EV user get sub-metered, but that again was just not worth it today.

Sounds like you and your neighbor need to choose the days for charging. You aren't going to plug both in at the same time. Maybe you can swap with someone else next to a plug. Also, both you and your neighbor should check to see if there are charging options at work.