Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calif. Company to Unveil 'Plug-n-Play' Solar-Powered EV Charging Station

SunPodsStation.jpg

I plan to have a charging point in front of my store. I've been offered a charging point at 400V and 16A.

How would that translate in charging time for a Roadster?

The car doesn't handle 400 V. But, if it is 400V AC then you might find a transformer to change 400V AC @ 16 A into 200 V AC @ 32A which is ok. If you are building a charge point that could work.

Sorry, no criticism to NYC, kudos! actually, and "THANK YOU, NYC!" ... but the "first public EV charging station" was probably installed 100+ years ago. The first public charging station of the "modern era" was (most likely) installed in California during the 1990s for the second wave of EVs. The first public charging station of the current wave of EVs ? Well, that depends. It could refer to the new Tesla specific one installed in Woodland, CA in April 2009 (see here). But to be fair across the board ... if we are looking for the first current J1772 universal-standard Level 2 (with a useful 240V) public charging station in the USA ... look no further than May 3, 2010 in Woodland, CA (again! (Ignore the Woodside reference; it was Woodland.) Also can see it here.).

Last edited:
Sorry, no criticism to NYC, kudos! actually, and "THANK YOU, NYC!" ... but the "first public EV charging station" was probably installed 100+ years ago. The first public charging station of the "modern era" was (most likely) installed in California during the 1990s for the second wave of EVs. The first public charging station of the current wave of EVs ? Well, that depends. It could refer to the new Tesla specific one installed in Woodland, CA in April 2009 (see here). But to be fair across the board ... if we are looking for the first current J1772 universal-standard Level 2 (with a useful 240V) public charging station in the USA ... look no further than May 3, 2010 in Woodland, CA (again! (Ignore the Woodside reference; it was Woodland.) Also can see it here.).

Well I meant the first public charging station for evs in nyc. I misstated, but thanks for the ran anyway. Thanks for crapping on the ONLY public charging station in the North East at the current moment. Not everyone is privileged to live in magical CA or have an EV that can time travel back to the first EV charging station 100 years ago :wink:

Last edited:
Like I said:
I am glad it's spreading ! Not much time left before the Volts, LEAFs, Focii, etc want to use these stations :cool: Just wished Nissan and GM had decided on a more spread-out roll-out across the country.
Surprisingly GM added NYC as a launch market for the Chevy Volt. It looks like no EV (other?..) will launch in the North East until the Tesla Model S in 2012 (if it's early 2012). The Leaf might just make it in 2011 (late), but at this point and time Nissan requires a home charger to buy, so that makes it rough for a large section of the market here! I forgot about the Fisker Karma....

Cool ! ("Volts" in NYC ... in more ways than one :cool:).

On a side note: my apologies if you or NYC felt "crapped on" :redface: That was not my intention. I should have said it in a better way when -- in haste -- trying satisfy an urge to "correct the facts" due to a misinterpretion of the original sentence about " ... the first public EV charging station".

( Had a long-time girl friend from Long Island ... went to school for 5 years upstate NY. )

Edit: BTW, that's a "Red-Face" that doesn't look like it should due this site's "new features" :(

Last edited:
NYC nor I feel "crapped on". I went back and reread what I wrote so I knew that I left out NYC in the sentence(first public charging station in nyc). It's only worth noting because it is the first one, sadly it is only one charger :(. I still have to get the garage company to agree to the charging station in my building.