Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric car fast-chargers coming to I-5 in Ore. - San Jose Mercury News
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OR_GREEN_HIGHWAY_CAR_CHARGING_OROL-
...GRANTS PASS, Ore.—A series of fast-charging stations for electric cars will be installed this year along Interstate 5 in Southern Oregon to become one of the first links in a Green Highway stretching down the West Coast from Canada to Mexico. The Oregon Department of Transportation announced Wednesday that AeroVironment, a Monrovia, Calif.-based manufacturer of unmanned aircraft and industrial charging stations for electric forklifts and aircraft tenders, has been chosen to build eight level-3 DC fast-charging stations between Eugene and the California border under a $700,000 federal stimulus grant...

Last edited:
DOE seeks to cut cost of Level 2 EV charging equipment in half in 3 years; $12M FOA

DOE is offering funding for projects to develop EVSE which
- cuts costs in half
- supports smart grid
- has 40 amp (it says "maximum" but not sure whether this just means it should also be able to charge at less than 40 amps, or that it should not be able to charge at more than 40 amps. The former makes much more sense to em, but then I'd use a phrase like "it should support at least up to 40 amps").

following a few links i found this site Transportation Electrification | Hydro-Québec which states

Hydro-Québec said:
In all these initiatives, the company's main concern is to encourage the adoption of simple, easy-to-use and cost-effective technological solutions. One such solution is the SAE J1772 standard, which defines an industry standard outlet for vehicle charging. Since January 2010, all rechargeable vehicles marketed in North America must be equipped with an outlet that meets this standard.

Is this true that the SAE J1772 standard is mandated for all EVs in North America to be equipped for it?

AeroVironment received UL certification for its DC fast chargers (and also home chargers). In the US, it seemed that UL certification is one of the hurdles for implementing a fast charging infrastructure. (Not sure if Blink chargers used by the EV Project already ahve UL certification).

AeroVironment, Inc. (AV) : News & Events: AeroVironment Achieves UL Certification for Full Line of Electric Vehicle Charging Systems to Address Nation’s EV Infrastructure Needs

Interesting also that almost all AV's EVSE/chargers are smart grid capable, including the DC fast chargers:

AeroVironment’s UL-listed product suite includes:
• Home AC charging station (EVSE-RS)
• Home AC charging station with smart grid capability (EVSE-RS+)
• Commercial AC charging station – with smart grid capability (EVSE-CS)
• Public DC fast charging station – with smart grid capability (EV50-PS)
• Fleet DC fast charging station – with smart grid capability (EV50-FS)
• 120VAC cord standard charging cord - can be used with all EVs and PHEVs (EVSE-CT)

http://www.energy.ca.gov/business_meetings/2011_packets/2011-04-20/Item_10_Clipper_Creek.pdf
...ClipperCreek will update at least 500 existing California EVSE to the new SAE-J1772™ standard. In addition, ClipperCreek will refurbish and allow inductive and paddle infrastructure to remain on the sites where they are being used by current electric vehicles. ClipperCreek will install meters on the EVSE, as directed by the local utility, to allow for monitoring and utility management...
All of the infrastructure will be upgraded by February 2013...

How it is supposed to be... Palo Alto city hall on a Saturday night. Arrive to see a Volt and Rav4EV at their troughs, and I join in on the feeding:
allfull.jpg

How it is supposed to be... Palo Alto city hall on a Saturday night. Arrive to see a Volt and Rav4EV at their troughs, and I join in on the feeding:
Compare and contrast with http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Car-charging-fails-to-generate-a-buzz-12082011.htm
Electric car charging points installed in Cambridge are yet to create a buzz – they have been used just three times in almost a year.

The plugs were fitted in two multi-storey car parks at taxpayers’ expense in September last year but now questions are being asked about how much research was done before the project was given the go-ahead. Cllr Gail Marchant-Daisley, the city council’s opposition transport spokeswoman, said it looked like the points were “premature”.

She told the News: “I applaud the thinking behind the initiative and it may well be the way of the future but the concern is that these were installed at considerable cost before there was any demand for them. One has to ask how much work was done looking at whether there would be any demand.”

The council, which is axing £2 million of spending and 36 jobs this year, said the bays at Queen Anne Terrace had been used twice in the last 11 months, while the spaces at Grafton East were switched on once. It bankrolled the scheme to the tune of £17,000 while Marshall Motor Group chipped in £5,000.

To use the points, electric car drivers have to insert a special key which is provided when they sign up to a scheme called Chargemaster. The power is free, but normal parking fees still apply.

Richard Turnbull, business development manager at Chargemaster, said: “It is not surprising that there has been a limited use because it is very early days in the electric car market and Cambridge has been very forward thinking in putting them in place.

The Green Rav4EV is the rarity.

That green RAV4 used to be Paul Scott's. He just recently sold it, as he now drives a Leaf. When our RAV4 gets to the point that it needs a paint job, we are considering green.

I was in that same parking garage on Saturday night two weeks earlier, and parked my Roadster next to a Leaf. I'd driven down from Seattle, and on the way parked next to a Leaf at a charger in Vacaville. The day before I left home, I went three places and saw a Leaf at all three (parked next to one at two of 'em). It is really nice to finally see the cars & EVSEs in action.