Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted using UMC on 110V at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All.

I’ve had my car about a week and have been home charging on 110v with the mobile charger without problem until last night.

The car stopped charging and the message ‘charging interrupted’ and ‘try unplugging and re plugging’ came up. Charge port and charger showed red. I tried unplugging and even another socket, but the problem remained.. the car charged for a minute and then stopped again.

This morning it all worked again and I tried a public L2 charger today and that worked.

Anyone seen this issue and managed to fix?

1)replace the outlet with a new one, preferably not the cheapest thing they have a home depot.
2)If there is multiple outlets on the circuit make sure nothing else is plugged in.
3) Lower your charging current slightly
4) Install a 240V outlet, your charging will be more efficient and the cost of installing the outlet will even out quite quickly, especially once winter hits

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Vawlkus
I charge using the UMC on a 120 volt outlet quite often at my buddy's lake house. The only issue I've had is that the outside outlet, which is a GFI outlet, failed once and I had to replace it. But no interrupted charging ever in over 6 years of doing this.

I suspect a wiring or mechanical issue with your outlet causing a voltage drop. The car can sense when the voltage drops out of range and will do this.

I’ve been using scheduled charging regularly at home using the UMC on 120V/12A in my garage for 3.5yrs without issue so there’s nothing about the UMC that should you prevent you from doing so, provided your outlet and circuit are up to scratch, as casmium or mknox suggest above. My garage outlet is a standard 15A one, not a GFI one.

The only time I’ve seen charging interrupted or a red charge port light is if I accidentally bump into the UMC wall AC plug as I walk by (my garage interior is very narrow). In such case if the AC plug is bumped slightly loose, and simply replugging it in made good contact again and restored proper charging.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Hello All.

I’ve had my car about a week and have been home charging on 110v with the mobile charger without problem until last night.

The car stopped charging and the message ‘charging interrupted’ and ‘try unplugging and re plugging’ came up. Charge port and charger showed red. I tried unplugging and even another socket, but the problem remained.. the car charged for a minute and then stopped again.

This morning it all worked again and I tried a public L2 charger today and that worked.

Anyone seen this issue and managed to fix?

I wanted to mention that my 120V charging was getting interrupted frequently. But what I think was happening was that the UMC was just slightly slipping loose from the outlet (I think due to the weight of the UMC and my very old loose outlet receptacles). Once I plugged an extension cord into the outlet and the UMC into the extension cord (laying totally on the ground) I have had zero issues since. This might not work for everyone but it is a simple option to try before more complicated and expensive options.

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus
I wanted to mention that my 120V charging was getting interrupted frequently. But what I think was happening was that the UMC was just slightly slipping loose from the outlet (I think due to the weight of the UMC and my very old loose outlet receptacles). Once I plugged an extension cord into the outlet and the UMC into the extension cord (laying totally on the ground) I have had zero issues since. This might not work for everyone but it is a simple option to try before more complicated and expensive options.
That's possible. I used my UMC to plug my Model 3 on my 14-50 outlet. I didn't like the UMC hanging like that, so I bought a holder for it. At least it' secured.

Attachments

• holder1.jpg
    holder1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 117
  • holder2.jpg
    holder2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: jerry33
I use a holder too. Extension cords can have their own issues.
UMC_bracket.1.jpg