Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on Tariff 31

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently in the process of finding out exactly what the rulings are for tariff 31 and and max allowable amps for Energex areas and single phase households. I currently have a 32amp circuit that had to be restricted to 20amps before they'd sign it off and hook it up. Seems other people didn't have the same problem and I think that's where the inconsistencies arise. Will keep this thread updates with the results.

I don't understand all these different tariffs but I'm paying .16/kwh for the car with no other charges and for the residence it's .21/kwh + .31/day (Fee) - .88/day (Old fogey allowance). All including GST.
So, for the centre of Brisbane, I managed to get a pretty good rate.

Heh Heh, not getting "old fogey allowance" yet, so it works out at $0.25/kWh for T11 and $0.128/kWh for T31. Hence my interest in getting the charger on to T31 :wink: Not really paying anything net right now because of original Solar FiT, but, the power companies are trying to whittle that away everyday with a "service charge" which now costs me more on one property than the actual cost of the electricity used! Perhaps Tesla will be a stimulus (via PowerWall) to all the big boys in batteries to push out off line storage everywhere. I've been lobbying the State Energy Minister on this topic for a while...me and 100,000 Solar Citizens, so we'll see who wants our votes come election time.

Just a bit of an update for everyone in SEQ (Energex area). Further to the above about going through the process it seems the tariff 31 is limited to 20amps. To allow charging at up to 32amps you need an electrician to provide/report to Energex a 'maximum demand report' & 'voltage drop calculations'. I've had this done recently and just waiting for the report from the electrician. I've been told unofficially that rarely do people get rejected when applying for the increased draw of up to 32amps. Not sure about 3-phase power and I live in Brisbane with underground power so fairly new equipment I guess. Anyway I'll update more when the process is complete but I hope this info helps out anyone else who will need a charger connected on tariff 31 and should hopefully save some of the stuffing around I've been through.

Exactly, going through that same process myself right now. The electrician had his doubts about 40A but thought that 32A "on request" was very likely. I'll report back here as well when it is all done and dusted. SHould only be another month or so at the rate Energex move :crying:

I'm in Sydney (Ausgrid) and used one of their certified electricians to install my charger. He did a survey of the load and was happy to add a 32A single phase service that is serviced via a contactor. The contactor is triggered by the off peak signal and is metered the same way.

Off peak 2 gives power most of the time other than from around 5pm - 11pm, meaning that if I came home from work and wanted to top up before a trip that night then I'd need to have an override or switch to the normal circuit. I haven't ever needed this though so have never bothered to install any extra. :)

OK, Energex arrived at precisely the time they said they would today (write THAT in Diary immediately), and installed the T31 meter and relay. Seemed to test OK, but first "real" use will be tonight I guess. Now to notify the electrician and see if we can obtain a "dispensation" (overly religious language they use) to up the current to 32A or higher.

Ah righto that makes sense. I'm at the same stage myself. Our maximum demand is just over the allowed limit so the electrician is thinking a circuit breaker will satisfy Energex's requirement. I wont even be surprised if it doesn't but at least then maybe other people can avoid this solution.

At the moment there's a 63 Amp contactor in place that acts as the remote trigger for the HPWC. I leave the HPWC with it's isolator "ON" and plugged in to the car. Has worked nicely on T31 so far charging up overnight. Hoping to get minimum 32A and possibly 40A depending on who's being nice at Energex.

Presently just 20 Amps and it's perfectly fine for day to day use. I expect to be able to go to 32A without an issue and maybe 40A. It will just mean that if I have to go (say) 200km more than expected tomorrow I can be ceratin of charging within the night rate hours (11pm to 7am) without worries. Still waiting on "dispensation" from Energex and I'm told that ought to happen this week.

Presently just 20 Amps and it's perfectly fine for day to day use. I expect to be able to go to 32A without an issue and maybe 40A. It will just mean that if I have to go (say) 200km more than expected tomorrow I can be ceratin of charging within the night rate hours (11pm to 7am) without worries. Still waiting on "dispensation" from Energex and I'm told that ought to happen this week.

What electrician are you using if you dont mind me asking?

I have a 40A contactor supporting the off peak load for the car as the meter contactor is only capable of 20A - hence I have 20A for the hot water and 40A for the car. This means that the HPWC is set to 32A. I've never had a problem with the car being charged overnight, even after a long trip.

The way that my setup works though is that the controlled load tariff is set regardless of when you use it. I'm on OP2 from Ausgrid which is around 14c/kWh, and is available pretty well all of the time other than from 5pm-11pm. My HPWC is powered solely from that circuit and so is powered down during peak times.

8 hours charging at 7.6kW is around 60kWh into the car, so should be good for about 300 typical km.

@ets_87: I'm using Tesla's recommended electrician in Qld for HPWC installs, Michael Foweraker (Sparkwise Electrical). At the moment the setup is T31 meter (relay controlled) that triggers a 63A contactor, which controls the HPWC circuit. So, putting 40A is entirely possible (but other loads need to be taken into account). The current HPWC setting is for 16A and so the circuit is "fused" at 20A. All that needs to be done (barring permission given) is to change the CB to 40A and adjust the HPWC accordingly. So, we wait on Energex to give "permission". I'll settle for 32A.