Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on Tariff 31

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have a solar aray as well, but putting the car on tariff 31 seems to make sense into the bargain. At the moment it's on T11 and that's more than double the rate. Should soon pay back installation costs.

Check with your electrician, but you should be able to wire the HPWC to both the day rate and the t31 rate with a changeover switch next to your HPWC or near the switchboard just in case you need to charge outside the t31 hours. Having the change over switch near the switch board will reduce duplicating the wiring all the way back.

Some meters also have a button that allow you to use power on the t31 circuit at the day rate also.

Check with your electrician, but you should be able to wire the HPWC to both the day rate and the t31 rate with a changeover switch next to your HPWC or near the switchboard just in case you need to charge outside the t31 hours. Having the change over switch near the switch board will reduce duplicating the wiring all the way back.

Yes I have this set up.

Yes, I have a solar aray as well, but putting the car on tariff 31 seems to make sense into the bargain. At the moment it's on T11 and that's more than double the rate. Should soon pay back installation costs.

In SA if you do the right environmental thing and get a solar panel, you no longer can get off-peak tarifs. So you either get lots of solar panels or buy the power at about 40c per kwh. If you are at a new installation, and you make too much solar power, the power company will buy your excess at 5c per kwh. Hence charging the car during peak daytime with solar saves being reamed by SAPN twice.

In SA if you do the right environmental thing and get a solar panel, you no longer can get off-peak tarifs. So you either get lots of solar panels or buy the power at about 40c per kwh. If you are at a new installation, and you make too much solar power, the power company will buy your excess at 5c per kwh. Hence charging the car during peak daytime with solar saves being reamed by SAPN twice.

That's disgusting, and misses the whole point of off peak rates - cheaper power when demand is low. There's no justification beyond greed to shut that down just because you have solar power. Fortunately for us they dont do that in QLD.

That is odd. I'm in Victoria on a general time of use Tariff. It's around 35c 7am to 11pm Monday to Friday and 19c all other times. That's for all my power, not just specific circuits. And it's with solar. Luckily I'm on the 60c net FIT, so it works well form me, as I buy very little peak power.

I guess SA has so much renewable, they don't have waste fossil energy in the middle of the night. I personally think late night power should be close to free to get people to encourage load shifting.

That is odd. I'm in Victoria on a general time of use Tariff. It's around 35c 7am to 11pm Monday to Friday and 19c all other times. That's for all my power, not just specific circuits. And it's with solar. Luckily I'm on the 60c net FIT, so it works well form me, as I buy very little peak power.

I guess SA has so much renewable, they don't have waste fossil energy in the middle of the night. I personally think late night power should be close to free to get people to encourage load shifting.
Wow. Why don't you switch to Powershop? Easy as. 17 or 18c day or night, and you get to keep your FIT and in fact get more than 60c. In NSW, as of 1/3/16, they are INCREASING the amount of FIT!! They also do what they call "power packs", where you buy a defined amount of power at less than the 17 something cents!!

I'm having the electrician look into that now. We have 3-phase power on the house and he seemed to think it would just be a routine application for the 40 AMP circuit, contactor, control circuit and so forth, so I'll see what develops from here. Energex wants $600 for the meter, control relay and attendance -- what else is new?

Last edited:
I'm having the electrician look into that now. We have 3-pahse power on the house and he seemed to think it would just be a routine application for the 40 AMP circuit, contactor, control circuit and so forth, so I'll see what develops from here. Energex wants $600 for the meter, control relay and attendance -- what else is new?

Energex wanted to sting me for the 3 phase controlled load meter too, so I didnt bother, I just have the original single phase meter there and will use the single phase 40A HPWC with it. If it is going to charge over night, there is no real advantage to having the 3 phase charger and I didnt want to give any more money to Energex than I have to. I have 3 phase to the house generally, and a 3 phase socket in my garage, so if I need a fast charge outside of night time charging I can use my Maxicharger (3 phase 22kW), and also my UMC linked to slow charge from my excess solar generation through the day.

Yeah SAPN in SA are owned by an asian company, and they got a free run for a while to set the rules as they please. We have no choice, they have a monopoly. Our only choice is to get more solar panels, and they have tried to regulate a maximum on that too. They pretend to give us choice by making us buy via a retailer, but its tinkering around the edges.

Wow. Why don't you switch to Powershop? Easy as. 17 or 18c day or night, and you get to keep your FIT and in fact get more than 60c. In NSW, as of 1/3/16, they are INCREASING the amount of FIT!! They also do what they call "power packs", where you buy a defined amount of power at less than the 17 something cents!!

Yeah, I'm in the AusNet distribution area of Victoria, that covers outer-east Melbourne and the whole east of the state. For some reason, prices in this distribution area are significantly more than say Jemena or Citipower areas! I've checked Powershop but I must say, I'm confused to how the their system works. They advertise a 34% off price that works out to be 28.79peak/12.89off-peak/117.61supply but you get 18% of that upfront but then have to buy regular packs or something to get the other 16%? I don't want to mess around with that. The price is obviously better than I have, but I can't see mention of PFIT and I never pay a bill anyway, its also in credit because of the PFiT. It makes more sense for me to be on the ToU tariff as I'm generally exporting 66c during peak periods.

The only other provider that appears to be cheaper is Red Energy, all the big companies have a load of BS lock in contracts and want you to shift gas also.

Adam.