Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging rate set at 30 amp but switches back to 48 and blows the circuit breaker????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
charging rate set at 30 amp but switches back to 48 and blows the circuit breaker????

What do we need to do to keep the charge setting at 30 Amps???

Commission whatever EVSE (wall connector unit) you are using to not provide more than 30amps. Never (ever) depend on the CAR to keep that setting.

Commission whatever EVSE (wall connector unit) you are using to not provide more than 30amps. Never (ever) depend on the CAR to keep that setting.
Exactly. The wall connector is J1772 behind the scenes. For J1772, the EVSE (the brick or station on the wall) via pilot signal duty cycle (Basics of SAE J1772) tells the connected car, this is how much you can draw at max. The assumption is that the EVSE is of the proper size/max output for the circuit it's attached (some cannot be configured) to or configured for that.

The manual I pointed to has a table of the circuit and breaker requirements vs. max output advertised via pilot signal.

Sorry to revive this thread. I have a similar situation
- TM3 Extended
- Tasler Mobile Charger with 14-30 plug on a 30amps dryer line
- 30amp breaker
- did not manually set current limit on screen on phone app

The initial draw says on the phone app is 24amps. But, the breaker tripped in two separate instances, and each time the phone app said the last current draw was 48amps. It makes sense that the breakers tripped, but why would Tasler Charger with 14-30 plug even attempt to draw more than 24/30 amps after a while?

Too lazy to get into the car and limit the draw to 25amps. maybe that is the only sure way to limit the draw?

Sorry to revive this thread. I have a similar situation
- TM3 Extended
- Tasler Mobile Charger with 14-30 plug on a 30amps dryer line
- 30amp breaker
- did not manually set current limit on screen on phone app

The initial draw says on the phone app is 24amps. But, the breaker tripped in two separate instances, and each time the phone app said the last current draw was 48amps. It makes sense that the breakers tripped, but why would Tasler Charger with 14-30 plug even attempt to draw more than 24/30 amps after a while?

Too lazy to get into the car and limit the draw to 25amps. maybe that is the only sure way to limit the draw?

The tesla mobile charger cant ever charge at 48amps as its limited to 32amps by hardware.

A 14-30 plug on the end of a tesla mobile charger would limit charge rate to 24 amps, unless you have extension cords or something else in line with it.

I also recommends starting your own thread, with pictures of your setup and a full description. The OP in this thread never even returned to look at the thread so it was a troll post. The information you have given doesnt make sense together, so I suggest you start your own thread, with pictures of your equipment and setup instead of just descriptions because the descriptions dont make any sense together.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The Tesla Model Y may reset to the default charging amperage to 48 amps even after you set the maximum amperage to what you want. This should not matter or cause the breaker to trip because the Tesla Mobile Connector or Tesla Wall Connector or third party EVSE is always controls the maximum charging amperage for the charging session. After a brief hand shake between the Tesla vehicle and the charging station, lasting a few seconds, the Tesla vehicle and the charging station settle on a maximum charging amperage and then they are off to the races. Usually you only manually lower the charging amperage (below what the charging station would allow) if you know that the circuit is being shared with other equipment (this applies to Level 1 120V charging as sharing a 240V circuit is only allowed by code if the equipment supports load balancing) or you have other concerns about the charging amperage.

Reasons that the circuit breaker could trip include faulty wiring, loose connection at the breaker or a faulty breaker. Circuit breakers are designed to trip when an overload exists, i.e. exceeding the maximum rated amperage for the circuit. This is essentially an instantaneous tripping of the breaker. Also, the circuit breaker is designed to trip if the breaker detects that it has exceeded the maximum safe temperature. (This happens after the equipment on the circuit has been drawing power for a while.)