Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Requirement and Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potentially even better arrangement. We have an outlet on our front porch, which we never use (pictured). Any reason I couldn’t remove that and replace it with a NEMA 14-50 weatherproof outlet? It would be covered; would be close to where I park; and is a shorter run from the panel.

Attachments

• FCFD2425-A311-46AA-A640-13D11ED6FFB4.jpeg
    FCFD2425-A311-46AA-A640-13D11ED6FFB4.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 55
Here’s the directory on the door. It looks like it’s original, but I know at least some of the breaker assignments are wrong now (presumably due to the remodel a few years ago).

Away from my computer, but several quick comments:

You appear to only have one spot left unused. I am guessing one electrician took the cover off and realized one other spot was unused even though it has a breaker in it, so that is good. (pictures with then panel cover off would be useful).

Note that your panel does not support tandem breakers. However, someone improperly installed a couple of them.

Now is this an issue? Probably not. They actually got rid of the stupid rule of maxing out at 42 breaker poles but it still applies to old panels that were not tested to allow tandems everywhere.

I will call out that you have quite a lot of 240v loads (many are not identified). You might actually be somewhat pushing load limits (at least according to NEC rules).

I often recommend a “Sense” home energy monitor to people that are close to limits in order to keep tabs on things.

Potentially even better arrangement. We have an outlet on our front porch, which we never use (pictured). Any reason I couldn’t remove that and replace it with a NEMA 14-50 weatherproof outlet? It would be covered; would be close to where I park; and is a shorter run from the panel.

There is no way that that outlet would have proper wire gauge (size) to support 50A.

IF it happens to be a single outlet on a single circuit, perhaps it could be rewired to a 6-15 outlet and you would get 240v 12a charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Do not re-purpose your existing outlet that supports 15 maybe 20amps to a nema 14-50. I wish it's that easy. For you to run a 50amp circuit, you really need to start from the electric panel. Attach a 50amp circuit breaker there, line a 6 awg 4-wire up to the place of your outlet of your choosing. You need to make sure that the wire is properly protected i.e. metal conduits. The reason you can't re-purpose is what brkaus mentioned above. Please do it properly and save yourself the trouble down the road. If you can get it installed for about $400-$600 dollars by a licensed electrician that's fair enough for both properties assuming they cover parts and labor.

Yeah, I didn’t mean use the wiring for that outlet - just use the location and the hole that’s already drilled in the brick. I’ll still run the wire the 6-gauge wire from the panel to that spot.

FWIW, I would not want to sacrifice a regular wall outlet to do this. They are convenient for many things. Also, that regular wall outlet was probably building code required when placed there.

There is a good chance that wall receptacle is on a circuit that daisy chains through that location, so even if you removed it you would still need to daisy chain the power through there.