Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging should be integral with parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in the eighties, like many of us, I looked into converting a car (RX-2) to electric. Let's grant that the proposal was untenable at the time. But as part of the effort I came up with the Power Docking Port concept. I've developed it out significantly since the introduction of the Roadster and then Model S. The discussion seems apropos to recent news. Here are a few points I typed up some time ago (slightly modified).

• Recharging ought to be integral with parking – automatic and requiring no user input.
  • It ought to work the same, albeit at different charge rates, whether at home, a supercharger, or Starbucks.
  • It should work with any power source (or charger); AC single or three phase, or high powered DC.
  • The same standard should work in Shanghai, Seattle, or Saskatoon.
  • It should work with a Tesla, a BMW, or a Nissan.

There is vastly more, of course, but I'd like input in two areas.

1. Would those of you who actually own and drive Model S be interested in such an option? If it cost 3-5K?
2. Who would I talk with at Tesla about the concept?

Thanks for your help - hopefully this will somehow help you!

Rick

Do you mean something like: http://www.pluglesspower.com

They have Leaf and Volt versions and are in development for a Model S version.

There are questions about induction charging losses and the relative cost versus convenience gain factor. They claim roughly 5% inductive charging losses, but at the high levels of electricity flowing, that's actually quite a lot of power being lost.

The Toshiba product, as far as I can find, is talking in single digit watts of charging. We're talking 400 amps, 400 volts or 160 kilowatts. I just don't see that as being safely and simply donewith any wireless solution.

But it does bring up another thought – what I have called “sip charging”, i.e. a delivery van that connects at most every dock. With the initial high charge rate (constant current) of a direct connect supercharger, ten minutes charging ten times a day would be enough to keep the truck going all day long. Similar arguments could be made for sales reps, police cars, etc. This is where the serious pollution generation occurs - and where it can be eliminated.

So, back to the root question, is a physical/electrical/communications Power Docking Port standard worth pursuing?

- - - Updated - - -

There is something to be said for the ease of use but, frankly, it's just not that big a deal to plug in.

True, except it tips the scales for Joe Averageaway from BEVs. (As unreasonable as that is.) And then there are the tripswhere one must charge outside the comfort of their garage - in the rain, andblizzards, and ...

Butmainly, as I said in another post, it's the sip charging that I think can makethe greatest difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that and a standard would mean ubiquitouscharging sites – better than gas stations for ICE cars. And the same everywhere – well, for thevehicle end. It is possible. Probably possible a million ways. But somehow a single standard must beaccepted. Tesla is the natural leaderfor this effort. I could approachLeviton (Toyota’s supplier) as their headquarters are in my neck of the woodsand I used to know a VP over there. But Ithink Tesla is the best choice. Thoughts?

- in order to support very high power charging you'd likely need higher capacity batteries, which reduces the need for OTR charging anyway
- personal needs would be limited
- plugging-unplugging is fast
- if you reach a practical limit per cable, you can add another cable and another socket; it'd still be better than standing by a fuel pump.

If the need really arose for an extreme socket I think a standard would be set quite quickly, either de facto or by agreement and it'd be better to wait until that issue arises.

If long-range BEVs became the norm, I think that rather than having some widely-deployed automated docking system you'd have a simpler solution of enclosed charging stations with automatic doors: BEVs don't need to "refuel" outside.

I doubt that wireless charging will become technically practical for EVs. It would require a standard that is used by all car manufactures which is, as we all know, next to impossible.

I totally disagree that plugging in is simple. It's an annoyance, especially in the public. Cables and plugs are on the ground and dirty. No one wants to roll them up properly after use. I have to find my J1772 adapter each time. I have to remember to first to go Controls > unlock charge port. I usually have to back into the parking spot as the cable doesn't reach to the back of the Model S. That fact alone is seriously annoying especially in parking lots that have diagonal parking. If it's wet and rainy I really don't want to handle a wet heavy cable and spend any time out there standing in the rain.

Yes it's worth pursuing but remeber that the "works for any car anywhere" part of the deal is 1% engineering and 99% politics/business. So good luck with that aspect.

But other than that yes I'd like it to work the way my robot lawnmower goes to the charger and docks.

I doubt that wireless charging will become technically practical for EVs. It would require a standard that is used by all car manufactures which is, as we all know, next to impossible.

I totally disagree that plugging in is simple. It's an annoyance, especially in the public. Cables and plugs are on the ground and dirty. No one wants to roll them up properly after use. I have to find my J1772 adapter each time. I have to remember to first to go Controls > unlock charge port. I usually have to back into the parking spot as the cable doesn't reach to the back of the Model S. That fact alone is seriously annoying especially in parking lots that have diagonal parking. If it's wet and rainy I really don't want to handle a wet heavy cable and spend any time out there standing in the rain.

The glass is 1% empty? Maybe you should get rid of your EV and go back to gas...

That's why I plug in at home and (almost) no where else. Literally, 20 seconds on each end. Having the range, I don't need to charge elsewhere. I believe that within a few years, most EVs will have sufficient range to not need to charge outside the home. Given the low utilization rate of Blink and ChargePoint networks, I believe few people charge outside their home anyway.

Consider the situation today for most people. The vast majority of the population tolerates gas stations and they are 10X worse than physical charging (dirtier, takes longer, costs more, requires going out of your way).

standards.png

$3-5K is the killer.

I'm thinking of it as the entry point for the Gen III car to Supercharging. Tesla might also include the double charger with the option. Most MS 60 customers seem to be ordering the Supercharger option so I'm assuming most, or at least greater than half, would also opt for something like this. As it would, if in fact standardized, give access to a much wider range and number of chargers one would think it would be commonly ordered.

It also becomes more palatable for apartment complexes, etc, to put in charge stations as one type would do it for all. And remember, the design allows for many electrical supply sources - AC (single or 3 phase) or DC. So one could install a NEMA 6-50 equivalent all the way up to supercharging with the same physical connection. (The car and charger would negotiate the best rate depending on the capabilities of each.)