Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Tesla from a dryer outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan a trip to the north part of Wisconsin where Tesla Superchargers are rare. I rent an Airbnb house and wanted to inquire the owner whether it is possible to charge from the house dryer outlet. To extend the reach I planned to buy a 50' extension. Before doing this I wanted to check:
1) is it legal to use the outlet for this purpose
2) what would charge rate I should expect for this setup

Is it a reasonable and recommended thing to do in general?

I did exactly that when I traveled to the UP of Michigan last year.
1) Yes of course it's legal. Just be sure you have permission to use it, as you say.
2) You can pull 24A on a dryer outlet. Easily sufficient for overnight charging.

You will need to know if the dryer outlet is 10-30 or 14-30, though probably best to just have both UMC adapters (though that makes your use of an extension cord more difficult).

Be careful, many houses in this area have gas dryers instead which just have a regular 120V 5-15 outlet, which won't really help you. So be sure what you're getting.

Also keep in mind that any house with an electric range is also just as usable, and who knows, maybe the kitchen is easier to access than the laundry room (which is often in the basement). Electric ranges use 10-50 or 14-50 outlets (and again, a gas range won't help you).

I assume you will be using your mobile adapter. Quite a long time ago I used my dryer outlet (240 vac at 30 amps), which means I was charging at 24 amps. I think I was getting at least 20 mph of charge on an X100. I hope you choose an extension with a big enough gauge to handle that amount of current. 50 feet is pretty long. And does your mobile unit come with the right adapter?

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I use a dryer outlet at our camp and at my parent’s house. Tesla was out of the 14-30 pigtail for the mobile connector when I needed it so I did the unthinkable and made a 40ft extension cord out of 10/3 soow with a 14-30 male end and a 14-50 female end. Then I just used my 14-50 pigtail that I use at home. I reduced the charging rate in the Tesla to 24 amps. Now when I visit these places the car recognizes the location and uses the prior charging profile.

Your biggest issue will be if the dryer is electric and what plug does it use. Good luck.