Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 100% b/c you're staying longer at public charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it’s constantly changing. Am I supposed to monitor this the entire time I’m eating my meal and be prepared to run out and move my car as soon as it hits 50%?

How far away are you eating exactly?

Checking once when it tells you "5 minutes till done" or "it's done" should be all you need to check to know if you're about to get hit with idle fees unless you're eating across town or something.

How far away are you eating exactly?

Checking once when it tells you "5 minutes till done" or "it's done" should be all you need to check to know if you're about to get hit with idle fees unless you're eating across town or something.

This last happened at the outlet malls in Lake Elsinore. The Tesla superchargers are at the far end of the lot. To get from the supercharger to the restaurants you have to walk through the entire mall, probably about a 7 minute walk. So round trip from the restaurant we are looking at almost 15 minutes plus the time to find another parking spot in a very busy mall where people are circling around waiting for an empty space to open up. Malls in California are spread out and the superchargers at the malls are usually in a really obscure part of the parking lot far away from the more popular stores and restaurants.

It’s the same at the Westminster mall and the Cabazon Outlet malls. There just isn’t enough time to eat a meal or do any meaningful shopping while charging the vehicle.

This last happened at the outlet malls in Lake Elsinore. The Tesla superchargers are at the far end of the lot. To get from the supercharger to the restaurants you have to walk through the entire mall, probably about a 7 minute walk. So round trip from the restaurant we are looking at almost 15 minutes plus the time to find another parking spot in a very busy mall where people are circling around waiting for an empty space to open up. Malls in California are spread out and the superchargers at the malls are usually in a really obscure part of the parking lot far away from the more popular stores and restaurants.

It’s the same at the Westminster mall and the Cabazon Outlet malls. There just isn’t enough time to eat a meal or do any meaningful shopping while charging the vehicle.
Tesla should really slow down the charging to minimum 1hr haha

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210 and Bacalao
Chargers are for charging not your personal parking space for the day.
We have one charger at work and it is Public.
Mr Leaf would get in at nine and leave car there all day.
So Mr Bolt would get there at 8:30 score...
Mr Leaf slides in at 7 am for two days
Come Monday Mr Bolt is there at 6:30 and so on.
Mean while No one in the tri state area can use this PERSONAL charger.
Now they are unplugging each other.
Charge-holes

This last happened at the outlet malls in Lake Elsinore. The Tesla superchargers are at the far end of the lot. To get from the supercharger to the restaurants you have to walk through the entire mall, probably about a 7 minute walk.

So if you start walking when you get the "5 minutes to charge complete" message you should have no trouble getting there within the 10 minutes needed to avoid idle fees :)

Yes it means you'll have to then go find another spot- but that's kind of the point. At a busy supercharger (the only place idle fees happen) you'd otherwise be wasting a charging spot someone will need.

That would be a great use case for Enhanced Summon - let the car disconnect once finished charging and park itself nearby. Automatically.

It would be- except no superchargers are set up to automatically unplug/reseat their cords (Tesla has said this was coming eventually, but AFAIK there's none in real world deployment).

Also enhanced summon as we currently know it requires being within both line of sight, and 150 feet, of the car- and also can't self- park, only self un-park and come to a marked location (without regard for parking lines it seems) so there's that.

Answering the original question w/o commenting on whether there's a social side effect...

We have "free" charging at work but when your car is finished you must disconnect within a specific time or get the evil eye. There is a maximum limit as well

I have, rarely, pushed the total charge % up to delay the completion of a charge because I'm stuck in a meeting.. usually not more than 15 mins or so but given the rigid rules, it's the less of evil.. car still charging vs idle for a few extra minutes, and always well under the max 4 hours

I prefer not to because I don't need more than 90% but there are times you just can not say "later, gotta unplug my car" so...

It would be- except no superchargers are set up to automatically unplug/reseat their cords (Tesla has said this was coming eventually, but AFAIK there's none in real world deployment).

Also enhanced summon as we currently know it requires being within both line of sight, and 150 feet, of the car- and also can't self- park, only self un-park and come to a marked location (without regard for parking lines it seems) so there's that.

What I was trying to say that this narrow use case would help Tesla and owners. I understand this is not possible. Probably even more than universal Summon. SC are more predictable and controllable by Tesla.

One a road trip you will likely get there faster if you stop charging even earlier. Because about 50% the rate of charge slows considerable. Bjorn Nyland did a video on this and I seem to remember charging up to 60-ish percent and driving down to 5% or so was the fastest overall, even with more stops.

One a long range road trip you will likely get there faster if you stop charging even earlier. Because about 50% the rate of charge slows considerable. Bjorn Nyland did a video on this and I seem to remember charging up to 60-ish percent and driving down to 5% or so was the fastest overall, even with more stops.

True...but not everyone is comfortable driving up to a supercharger with only 5% remaining. Things happen.

True...but not everyone is comfortable driving up to a supercharger with only 5% remaining. Things happen.

Agreed. But I have gotten used to going way beyond what I used to feel comfortable with. On an ICE car I rarely go below 33%. In part because I know gas tank shape and float gauge systems kills linear decrease. But with my X I routinely go under 10% when traveling. So far the Tesla navigation has gotten me to every SC within a percent or two of predicted.

Could be more daring. In my plane I use to routinely run a tank dry before switching to the next tank. But only when the wife was not with me.

I made the mistake of using a supercharger while eating lunch. I was so stressed out about hitting a full charge before I finished my meal that I couldn’t enjoy eating it. I won’t do that again.

There are tricks. As the OP said, you can let the car charge past 90%. Going to 91% or 92% isn't going to whack the battery. Another thing you can do which I have yet to try is to stop the charge and a few minutes later restart it. I don't know if this resets the idle fee timer or not, it would be worth a try.

Charging while eating is a bit of a PiTA, but on trips it's the only way to go. Otherwise on a long drive you end up sitting for hours doing absolutely f*****g nothing. Not my idea of the future. This is a car of the future, right?

On the other hand, using a level 2 charger overnight is absolutely fantastic! Full charge in the morning and no guilt what so ever. :) They are showing up at a lot of hotels now. I'm thinking they are going to be coveted as EVs become more popular. I used one when there was a supercharger across the street.