Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I purchased the MX ... my salesman made it clear to me that purchasing EAP did not guarantee a date of release. He even mentioned to me that AP1 drivers waited 10 months. He recommended that I should consider buying it later for the extra 1k if I wanted. Basically what I'm saying is he was totally transparent and I appreciated him being totally honest. I still bought EAP but that's why I do t feel lied to because of the initial transparency and I was fully aware of limitations when I paid the extra $. Especially with all this new tech and features I wish all tesla salespeople were this transparent.
Mine didn't rep this

Frankly, calling it "due diligence" is an exaggeration.

Just read one blog post:

All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

How hard can it be?

I can't tell what you're trying to argue for.

When I look at that blog post my head downgrades all the hyperbole

For example this statement goes from this

" As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time."

to this

"As always, our over-the-air software update will be used to protect Tesla from any possible litigation. When we deem it necessary for any particular reason we will downgrade your AP especially on first-generation Autopilot cars. Making the cars less capable over time."

But, more seriously I feel like the whole Software thing is a double edged sword. It's awesome that they can be upgraded, but so often SW is used to over-promise something while keeping a customer in perpetual wait.

They use the promise of software, and the threat of regulation to excuse delays or omitted features.

Normally you can use historic performance to get a good gauge at what's going to happen, but you can't really do this here either. AP2 is built on mostly new hardware with an entirely different SW platform. So who the hell knows what's going to happen.

You certainly can't use the Tesla website to tell you the information you need to to know.

Here is what the EAP section of the ordering page still says "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval"

There isn't an ounce of truth to that. To actually know how they're releasing EAP you have to follow Elons twitter account.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden and outie
There isn't an ounce of truth to that. To actually know how they're releasing EAP you have to follow Elons twitter account.

Not really, dec 22nd he tweeted : "Looks like we might be ready to rollout most of Autopilot functionality for HW2 towards the end of next week"

What they eventually rolled out was not 'most of autopilot functionality'. It was a very limited subset of functionality rolled out to a small number of cars with obvious problems.

Reactions: ABC2D
Not really, dec 22nd he tweeted : "Looks like we might be ready to rollout most of Autopilot functionality for HW2 towards the end of next week"

What they eventually rolled out was not 'most of autopilot functionality'. It was a very limited subset of functionality rolled out to a small number of cars with obvious problems.

I meant in terms of how it was going to be released.

From his November 26th tweet

"about three weeks and it will get rolled out incrementally in monthly releases"

The whole thing feels like they're really just winging it.

Reactions: Altes
For precisely what you just did. You read the blog and drew your own conclusions.

If only more potential owners would do this.

But, I had been through the entire process before when I spend 5 months waiting for AP1 after taking delivery.

I also work in the tech community so I'm well aware of the "we just have to wait for the SW" argument so I temper my expectations accordingly. Where I automatically add 3-6 months to any estimated date.

I'm also in a non-emotional spot since I have an AP1 car. All I have to do is sit around and wait for the ACTUAL functionality to reach a point where I want then I get an AP2 car.

Reactions: xkwizit
But, I had been through the entire process before when I spend 5 months waiting for AP1 after taking delivery.

So you faced the same choices with AP1 as present customers do with AP2, namely:

1) Do I buy the whole package?
2) Do I buy the car without this option?
3) Do I wait and see what develops?

And you made the best choice you could at the time with the information you had available.

But there will always be something new: It'll be higher rate Supercharging; it'll be the HUD; it'll be the "Volvo-fication" of the interior, maybe even AP3 hardware - who knows.

Tesla's aggressive approach to vehicle development is always going to leave some people feeling cheated.

Maybe we need to move away from car ownership just as we have with cell phone ownership.

I've been reading through this thread & have a couple of thoughts.

Some of you were unaware that AP2 was going to be rolled out by stages and didn't know that there were target dates along with a disclaimer of 'subject to regulatory approval'. I know I saw it on the website and thought it was very clear, but obviously it could have been a 'click to acknowledge' during the purchase agreement, so there would be absolutely no confusion.

Some like to claim it's just how Tesla does business, citing some examples. But as always, I'm a little surprised at the examples that were left out (probably because it doesn't support the 'how Tesla does business' argument). Early Model S owners only knew their cars would be capable of high-power charging. NO ONE suspected the supercharger network was going to be rolled out and free long-distance charging would be offered. No Signatures and earl production models were sold believing that to be true. So ... bonus. We knew early on that there would be a monthly charge for data ... nope, didn't happen. AP1 hardware showed up on cars before the announcement, a huge bonus for those people. So let's temper the 'how Tesla does business' with the positive examples, too. And all of you have examples of being delighted (and some disappointed) at the OTA updates that allow you to wake up to a car with new features.

Let's say Tesla didn't have anything about AP2 out on their website. You could only buy AP1. How would you feel to find out later that the people who didn't select AP1 received the AP2 wiring harness / hardware and could upgrade to it later? Cheated? I sure would.

So for me, it really comes down to they should have tried a little harder to make sure people fully understood that AP2 was rolling out in stages, that regulatory approval could also throw a wrench into the works, and no definitive promises were being made re timeline. I suspect every single person would have opted for it anyway. And if you wouldn't, speak up. There are more than a few people willing to trade their brand-new and fully functional AP1 for your AP2. :) (And willing to pay the difference between AP1 & AP2.)

I knew the rollout dates were all iffy, don't find anythng about the rollout surprising, and I ordered AP2 anyway. I want the latest.

All that said though, Tesla needs to be more consistent with their messaging. The average consumer cannot rely on Elon or Tesla tweets. If they do tweet, it should be backed up by a blog post/revised text on the web site, etc. explaining the situation.

And from being in software for like, ever, their process for delivering software seems rushed, overworked, understaffed, and in the end that means repeated delays without any kind of bake period. So I certainly don't think their trying to pull a fast one and are earnestly trying to hit their dates, but they are *really* bad with estimating their time to implement the functionality.

All that said though, Tesla needs to be more consistent with their messaging. The average consumer cannot rely on Elon or Tesla tweets. If they do tweet, it should be backed up by a blog post/revised text on the web site, etc. explaining the situation.

I agree. They have had disclaimers re rollout on the website and other places (not just tweets) - but as I noted above, having a 'click to acknowledge' step in the order process would make it explicitly clear and be saving a lot of headaches now.

Anyone here that's upset about AP2 that wouldn't have ordered it anyway?

January 8, 2017 105856 AM CST.png

Reactions: PedanticOne
Anyone here that's upset about AP2 that wouldn't have ordered it anyway?

For those who got a 2 year lease and paid for an $8K more expensive lease basis, may only enjoy those features for half of their lease.

I think Tesla should allow buyer to pay to activate those promised, but not delivered features, once they are actually available on the car. Instead, you have to buy them at purchase or pay a penalty to activate them later.