Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost like these places had big EV incentives or the companies needed to sell EVs there for some reason... :p

Atlanta and Athens are interesting additions in the middle of the CA block - I assume that's driven by Leafs sold with the big rebate they had until recently.
The chart even has "ZEV goal" on it :). Is it a surprise the most plug-in sales are in CARB ZEV states given the automakers focused the most on them?

The Leaf in GA was exactly because of huge tax credit, sales tanked immediately after the credit ended.

You clicked 5 dislikes in <5 minutes blindly in a thread that you have no interest in, involving a car you know nothing about, built by a company you don't understand, using technology that confuses you.

You probably click a few dozen dislikes on other members as well per day. Today was the first time I used the dislike button, and will be the last. I just had a hunch you were a "can dish it out, but can't take it" sort.

The fact you responded? The defense rests.

I only dislike trolling or BS posts. Guess which category your posts fall under? Check the name of the forum you're posting on, there's a reason people here aren't going to swallow your GM shilling.

Average US auto sale price is a misleading number as that's the mean value. Median price would more educational as to what the average consumer can afford and that's ~$26000 from some very quick internet searching. And another site says the average household income should actually be looking closer to $20,000.

An ABAI(Auto Buyer’s Affordability Index) of 58.9 indicates that a prudent, median-income household can only afford 58.9 percent of the new-car average price.

Translation ... His wife gets the Bolt and he gets the Model S :cool:

upload_2016-12-31_9-21-39.png

Do you know what thread you're posting in? That might give you a clue.

The only Bolt test there I saw was 116.8 miles using 34.4 kWh uphill into the mountains until a sharp rock hidden in the snow tore a fist sized hole in the sidewall.

So I ask again, what car? If it was a Bolt, was it moving? Uphill in freezing weather gets 3.4 mi/kWh so how do you make it get 2,8? Different car, or what? Who was it, MotorTrend got 190 miles at 75mph, which is WAY higher than 2.8.

Last edited:
What are you referring to? 2.8 miles per kWh? For what? A car? Any particular one?

What is the aero component at 100 km/h vs total kW required at STP?

The only Bolt test there I saw was 116.8 miles using 34.4 kWh uphill into the mountains until a sharp rock hidden in the snow tore a fist sized hole in the sidewall.

So I ask again, what car? If it was a Bolt, was it moving? Uphill in freezing weather gets 3.4 mi/kWh so how do you make it get 2,8? Different car, or what? Who was it, MotorTrend got 190 miles at 75mph, which is WAY higher than 2.8.
2.8 mi/kWh was on the display in his first Bolt EV video, but it's not really relevant for assessing energy efficiency since the owner spent of bunch of time playing with the car functions while stopped.

To answer your first question though, according to my calcs the Bolt EV aero component at 100 kph is ~10.0 kW of ~16.4 kW total at sea level, ISA.

Driving at a constant 100 kph, the energy consumption would be 4.0 mi/kWh (265 Wh/mi).
Driving at a constant 75 mph, the energy consumption would be 2.8 mi/kWh (351 Wh/mi).

2.8 mi/kWh was on the display in his first Bolt EV video, but it's not really relevant for assessing energy efficiency since the owner spent of bunch of time playing with the car functions while stopped.

To answer your first question though, according to my calcs the Bolt EV aero component at 100 kph is ~10.0 kW of ~16.4 kW total at sea level, ISA.

Driving at a constant 100 kph, the energy consumption would be 4.0 mi/kWh (265 Wh/mi).
Driving at a constant 75 mph, the energy consumption would be 2.8 mi/kWh (351 Wh/mi).

Better data:

October 2016, Car and Driver:
We’ve already verified that the Bolt will actually cover 238 miles during a leisurely jaunt up the California coast that left us with an indicated 34 miles of remaining range. However, the quadratic effects of aerodynamic drag mean that the faster you drive, the faster the battery drains. So in our most recent rendezvous with the Bolt, we performed a real-world range test that mimics a long highway road trip. With the cruise control set to 75 mph and the climate system set to 72 degrees, we drove the battery to exhaustion in 190 miles." ...

Assuming there is 60 kWh of usable capacity, which is probably wrong, that would be 3.17 miles per kWh.

Your aero math is WAY the hell off. You are not even close. Where did you get your CdA from?

And like I said, a new owner drove up from LA into the snow levels of the surrounding mountains, which is at least 4000' feet normally. And hit 3.4 miles per kWh in freezing weather.

Last edited:
Better data:

October 2016, Car and Driver:
We’ve already verified that the Bolt will actually cover 238 miles during a leisurely jaunt up the California coast that left us with an indicated 34 miles of remaining range. However, the quadratic effects of aerodynamic drag mean that the faster you drive, the faster the battery drains. So in our most recent rendezvous with the Bolt, we performed a real-world range test that mimics a long highway road trip. With the cruise control set to 75 mph and the climate system set to 72 degrees, we drove the battery to exhaustion in 190 miles." ...

Assuming there is 60 kWh of usable capacity, which is probably wrong, that would be 3.17 miles per kWh.

Your aero math is WAY the hell off. You are not even close. Where did you get your CdA from?

And like I said, a new owner drove up from LA into the snow levels of the surrounding mountains, which is at least 4000' feet normally. And hit 3.4 miles per kWh in freezing weather.
CdA from C&D. I gave you estimated efficiencies at sea level and ISA (59F). What other conditions would you like it for? The C&D test does not specify their test conditions. There's a bunch of parameters we have no idea about: ambient temperature, wind speed/direction, start/end elevation, amount of traffic (drafting, accels/decels). So this is all moot.

Wait. Am I misunderstanding the display? It reads 57.3 mile using 16.0 kWh. That is 3.58?

OK, something is screwy.
Go to 5:40 in the video and see the center console display.

CdA from C&D. I gave you estimated efficiencies at sea level and ISA (59F). What other conditions would you like it for? The C&D test does not specify their test conditions. There's a bunch of parameters we have no idea about: ambient temperature, wind speed/direction, start/end elevation, amount of traffic (drafting, accels/decels). So this is all moot.

Go to 5:40 in the video and see the center console display.
I'll look into that. You think Car and Driver would poison a test deliberately? I'm no fan, but eh... I'm not going to assume they are dishonest.

At 5:40 it says it's 57°F so it used 11% of the power for heating/AC, it has been driven 57.3 miles since the battery was fully charged, and it has used 16.0 kWh of the battery capacity so far.

Look at the numbers and do the math in your head. How can that yield under 3 miles per kWh? Don't even use a calculator.

I'll look into that. You think Car and Driver would poison a test deliberately? I'm no fan, but eh... I'm not going to assume they are dishonest.

At 5:40 it says it's 57°F so it used 11% of the power for heating/AC, it has been driven 57.3 miles since the battery was fully charged, and it has used 16.0 kWh of the battery capacity so far.

Look at the numbers and do the math in your head. How can that yield under 3 miles per kWh? Don't even use a calculator.
I do not believe that C&D "poisoned" the test. I'm just stating that we don't know enough about the test conditions to reproduce it analytically with confidence.

Sorry, 5:40 was the wrong time, go to 8:00 to see the 2.8 mi/kWh on the display.