Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not privy to all the details, but I'm pretty sure Tesla can't sell a pre-production vehicle even to an employee for road use. They would have to get that vehicle certified which costs quite a bit of money (plus the liability costs). That's why a lot of manufacturers just crush the vehicles. So the vehicles sold to employees are going to be production examples.

It's a different case if Tesla sold it to employees to be put on display (not road use), but I'm pretty sure not many people will take up that offer and we will hear about it.

AFAIK, vehicles sold by large mfrs must pass FMVSS, NHTSA, EPA. They are allowed to be updated. The problem is supporting 300 cars that could (will) have some component changes.

The reason they are crushed is because it would be more expensive to support than crush when the number produced is small. Tesla Motors is already used to supporting lots of early revision components.

Need to take off the Tesla rose-colored blinders first. :cool:

I have a 2017 Volt and had a 2014 Volt.

Driver Confidence Packages 1 and 2 on the 2017 Volt (to be more Tesla like) are worthless and have no chance of fix through software. I don't think it will be any better on the Bolt

So yeah I have had two Chevys and just bought in on some GM stock but Tesla is another league.

Throwing good money at bad has more buyers remorse than overpaying for a superior product. Just my two cents.

Driver Confidence Packages 1 and 2 on the 2017 Volt (to be more Tesla like) are worthless and have no chance of fix through software. I don't think it will be any better on the Bolt

So yeah I have had two Chevys and just bought in on some GM stock but Tesla is another league.

Throwing good money at bad has more buyers remorse than overpaying for a superior product. Just my two cents.

Can you explain why you think the DCI+II packages on your Volt are worthless? I have them on my Bolt, and I have found them to be quite useful. LKA does exactly what the name says, the rear cross-alert detection has kicked in a few times and alerted me to oncoming cars. The 360 degree birds-eye camera is very nice.

I have found the infotainment package seems to be fluff. The Bose speakers sound nice, but then again I find my '17 Volt's base speakers fine too. Wireless charging doesn't apply to me since my phone doesn't support it, and rear USB charging ports? Meh.

Last time I checked no Tesla has the 360 degree birdseye cam (though I've seen several threads lamenting the fact) nor does any Tesla have Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

I'd be hard pressed to justify a non-autopilot S60 over a Bolt. Unless you NEED the TESLA name in your driveway because someone wants to impress their shallow friends/neighbors.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
I'd be hard pressed to justify a non-autopilot S60 over a Bolt. Unless you NEED the TESLA name in your driveway because someone wants to impress their shallow friends/neighbors.

Right because that's the only reason people might spend more money on a vehicle. I guess that's why you bought a new Bolt instead of another EV, or even a used one? Funny how revealing your posts can be.

The Driver's Confidence Packages 1+2 on the 2017 Chevrolet Volt are very good.

I cannot testify about the Bolt EV, but the Volt has a blazing fast reaction time. One of the few driver's systems I've seen that can beat a human RT.

EDIT - What this means, is it works for people who are intensely focused on traffic, and still assists the driver. Most systems for are folk who do not pay attention while they drive. This is why they use a HUD warning system. So it alerts you BEFORE you can 'see' the threat.

Different strokes for different folks. If you need the ability to drive cross country, or like the RWD experience, or want more performance, or need to put a lot of stuff in the car, the S60 is obviously superior. Also much better phone app integration and Navigation and more comfortable seats, etc.

From everything I've read, the Bolt's not a bad car, but It's also not an S60 minus Autopilot for half the price. Individual owners will have to decide what's important to them.

Like Joshua Brown?
this is sarcasm, no? You realize that if its not, you are making a terrible false equivalency? Joshua Brown didn't just have a traffic accident. He drove/allowed his car to drive, under a fully loaded tractor trailer at high speed. Doesn't matter what he was driving; unless it was a tank he would have died. The point of the initial post was that Tesla's have a dramatically better safety design, including safety cage and crumple zones, so that the driver has a MUCH better chance of survival or non-injury in typical traffic accents as compared to just about anything else, including a car which is essentially a modified econobox, which fairly describes a Bolt, or a midlevel car, which fairly describes a Volt. You hear about David Geffen's accident, for example?

Don't get me wrong - I came to Tesla several years ago because of the Volt. I love that GM is at least making some effort in the EV forum.

Reactions: jgs