Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the lack of a charging network is so blindingly huge, then why are most EV sold today in the world short range?

In any case, in the locations where people actually purchase EVs in quantity (no not Chicago), the Bolt does have DCFC coverage. Fly over state coverage might take a year or more.
Most EVs sold in the world are short range because of:
1. Cost
2. Lack of a reliable DCFC network between cities people travel

A large battery does you no good if you still can't comfortably get between cities without range anxiety.

The Bolt is held back to some extent by this still.

Most EVs sold in the world are short range because of:
1. Cost
2. Lack of a reliable DCFC network between cities people travel

A large battery does you no good if you still can't comfortably get between cities without range anxiety.

The Bolt is held back to some extent by this still.

1 - True for all new EVs. Used EVs are far cheaper.
2 - If you put an DCFC every 5 miles, it does not fix a car that charges 60 miles in 30 minutes with a peak 80 mile range.

The Bolt is held back because most people have not experienced the advantages of using an EV for commuting, or they do not see the price jump as being worth the luxury of EV propulsion and a 'full tank' each morning.

Sure. Being a BEV has certain value of course.

Still, people will compare cars and interiors between price-points. I do worry if Bolt isn't just a tad bit too plasticky.

The Bolt's interior is akin to a $17k car capable of 6.5 second to 60mph acceleration. You are spending 20k for the drivetrain, or $7k in California after rebates and incentives.

I will say I like the Volt's ergos better than the Bolt. But the Volt doesn't suck IMO. The CT6 PHEV had a better interior, but the ergos weren't better. The Volt and Bolt drivetrain kicked the CT6 PHEV in the nuts. I drove all three the same day through the same urban and highway conditions, which was congested.

35k puts Bolt in comparison with things like Audi A4. At least there interior can matter.

We shall see.

The Audi A4 200mi EV is $68,000. I heard it on the web. Actually, that's about the price bump required.
Forget about the A4. From the comments on that Jalopnik article, the Bolt has lower quality interior materials (namely the lowest rent hard plastic possible on virtually every surface, even the ones touched directly like armrests) than even the Leaf, much less something like an e-Golf. This was also pointed out in practically every initial review of the car.

Post you were responding to was talking specifically about the first 3 months of this year, not since release, so you are talking about something else.

No, we are talking about 2017 MY Chevrolet Bolt EVs sales. He doesn't believe Canada is a country, or that Chevy barely beat the Jan 1 deadline by a week or two.

He is trying to give the impression that fewer Bolts are on the road that what his own source tells him. I will admit I'm surprised he included January sales. His number would look even more bleak by saying, 'Chevrolet cannot even 1000 Bolts in a month globally based on Feb and March 2017.

No, we are talking about 2017 MY Chevrolet Bolt EVs sales. He doesn't believe Canada is a country, or that Chevy barely beat the Jan 1 deadline by a week or two.

He is trying to give the impression that fewer Bolts are on the road that what his own source tells him. I will admit I'm surprised he included January sales. His number would look even more bleak by saying, 'Chevrolet cannot even 1000 Bolts in a month globally based on Feb and March 2017.
You are over-analyzing/misinterpreting a bit. He obviously read this line from the article: "As we recently reported, it resulted in GM delivering only ~3,000 Bolt EVs so far this year". It doesn't mention model year anywhere, in fact, the link leads to an article talking about Q1 2017 sales (first 3 months of the year), so definitely not talking about model year.

You can add Q1 sales for Canada, but that will probably only add a few hundred, not going to reach close to 4k or more for Q1 2017, still much closer to 3k.

Edit: I should note Quebec also adopted a ZEV mandate last year modeled after CARB (and if it works like CARBs, EVs sold today counts toward future quota and gets bonus points):
Quebec becomes latest market to adopt ZEV mandate after important push by Tesla

Last edited:
…ignoring similarly slow ramp-ups of other BEVs (e.g. Model S and X ramped up slower than Bolt).

That's hardly reality. That's selective story-inventing.

I might classify your comparison of S and X ramp-up time by a start-up company with consequent limited clout with the parts supply chain to ramp-up time of a new model by one of the world's largest and oldest established car makers, as unfair. I wonder how Bolt ramp-up compares to Leaf ramp-up?

Seems to me that GM, with all of its manufacturing and marketing resources and experience, starting with the advantage of all the lessons learned by studying Nissan's and Tesla's design choices, could be expected to ramp up much faster than upstart Tesla. I drove a Bolt and thought it a nice car for its class, with more than twice the range of the eGolf or Leaf, and much better, both functionally and esthetically, than the similarly-priced BMW i3, so I am puzzled as to why there are so few being produced.

• Informative
Reactions: diamond.g
@brucet999 It is a common thesis on TMC and amongst Tesla followers that large battery making is hard to ramp-up for non-Tesla companies. I wonder why that is conveniently forgotten with Bolt.
That refers to annual volume limit, not to initial pack supply. The Model S/X initial roll outs were never held back by pack supply either, it was always assembly line issues and other car parts. Pack supply becomes a problem later on in the game, when at much higher volumes.

For the Bolt, pack estimate was 30k-50k annual volume possible. This works out to 2.5k-4.2k packs per month. LG Chem started mass production in August:
LG Starts Mass Production Of Chevrolet Bolt EV Parts This Month

Last edited:
That refers to annual volume limit, not to initial pack supply. The Model S/X initial roll outs were never held back by pack supply either, it was always assembly line issues and other car parts.

For the Bolt, pack estimate was 30k-50k annual volume. This works out to 2.5k-4.2k packs per month. LG Chem started mass production in August:
LG Starts Mass Production Of Chevrolet Bolt EV Parts This Month

I am not suggesting Teslas and Bolt were held back by same issues.

I am suggesting battery supply could well limit Bolt ramp-up speed.

I dunno, interior looks fine to me. Pretty good for that price range, actually.

That's a $35k car, if we include the full $7500 tax credit. I think it probably looks fine for a $35k BEV, but I wouldn't say it compares well to other $35,000 vehicles.

I mean, just sticking with GM...here is the standard interior on the Cadillac ATS ($35k)

ATS.jpg

This doesn't mean the Bolt's Premier trim interior isn't acceptable...but it's not what I would say good at the price point...just comparing it to other GM vehicles.

I am not suggesting Teslas and Bolt were held back by same issues.

I am suggesting battery supply could well limit Bolt ramp-up speed.
Well, I'm saying that is highly unlikely. If even a newbie like Tesla can allocate enough packs/cells for the initial production, I doubt that GM can't do that. LG is the supplier and they started production 2-3 months before Bolt production did.

When Tesla ran into pack supply issues was when they were running full bore already in production and their previous supply contract didn't give them enough cells. It's that extra expansion of capacity that takes time, but supply that is already planned/contracted for should not take extra time.
Panasonic and Tesla Reach Agreement to Expand Supply of Automotive-Grade Battery Cells

Well, I'm saying that is highly unlikely. If even a newbie like Tesla can allocate enough packs/cells for the initial production, I doubt that GM can't do that. LG is the supplier and they started production 2-3 months before Bolt production did.

When Tesla ran into pack supply issues was when they were running full bore already in production and their previous supply contract didn't give them enough cells. It's that extra expansion of capacity that takes time, but supply that is already planned/contracted for should not take extra time.
Panasonic and Tesla Reach Agreement to Expand Supply of Automotive-Grade Battery Cells

Since when has Tesla needed that many packs for initial production to prove your point?

Model S and Model X ramped up much slower than Bolt at this stage. Your point can not really be substantiated.

LG having a ramp-up curve for the packs sounds perfectly plausible to me.