Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> It spent $1 billion on Cruise Automation, a Silicon Valley start-up

Really, 1 Billion?? But not a British billion of course, but merely a thousand million, the cheesy US definition of the word. Still, that's a lot to slide out to the center of the poker table. For their next ploy maybe GM could front a Billion to establish a DCFC network alongside Tesla's. How does this compare to Tesla's investment in the GigaFactories? I need help in 'thinking big'.
--

They could put ashtrays in them too. More people smoke than use an EV as a jet airliner.

In any case, GM has spent far more than $1B on Autonomy since 2010.

Trivia, the first company to put up an EV recharging grid with more than a dozen locations was General Motors who set up about 1,000 Magnacharger 240v inductive charger locations. Obviously that was money poorly spent and contributed to demise of the EV1.

Last edited:
GM's Cruise Automation subsidiary's adaptation of the Bolt EV is clearly a 'science project' rather than a final production quality self-driving option although the LIDAR sensor towers do bear a remarkable resemblance to San Francisco's Coit Tower where Cruise is located and where much of the testing is taking place:

Everyone except Tesla is solving the computer science problem first and waiting for production car ready sensors to become available. It doesn't matter how autonomous cars look today because the computer science problem has not been solved.

Reactions: McRat
In the last few days Byron Nyland has posted 3 long videos showing him driving the Opel Ampera-e (Bolt EV) and apparently there will be at least one more coming soon.

In this somewhat shorter video taken while waiting to board a ferry boat (~20 minutes) he raves positively about and demonstrates the Bolt's regen ability, its one-pedal driving ability, and his overall joy of driving it.

I've not seen one so no idea if it is a problem, or not, but I wonder if having to shift eye-focal-length when looking into the camera-mirror is an issue (compared to using the rear view or wing mirror).
I test drove a Bolt a few months ago. The change of focus to use the RV cam-mirror was one of the more off-putting things. Perhaps I'd get used to it. Have owned a LEAF for 6.5 years and a Tesla for 4. I think the Bolt is a great effort by GM but feel the Volt is a much better car for the money. At the time I test drove, the dealer price was $47k (only Premium available) I believe here in SoCal they've come down a lot since then, at least if you want to lease.

Everyone except Tesla is solving the computer science problem first and waiting for production car ready sensors to become available. It doesn't matter how autonomous cars look today because the computer science problem has not been solved.

A significant part of that 'computer science problem' is data collection (including training the AI with that data) . By putting the hardware on the car, Tesla is getting many orders of magnitude more data.

Thank you kindly.

A significant part of that 'computer science problem' is data collection (including training the AI with that data) . By putting the hardware on the car, Tesla is getting many orders of magnitude more data.

Thank you kindly.
I also wonder how relevant the approximate positions will be. Most of the "science project" ones are roof mounted. This is extremely poor for aerodynamics, so most of them seem to plan to do integration into the body when production intent (for example lidar on 4 corners instead of top, cameras at rear view mirror, and side mirrors etc). That means a significant change in sensor positioning and type. The software developed and data gathers would have to be able to generalize enough to factor this in.

Otherwise there may need to be a significant amount of retraining/data gathering once again for the new hardware/positioning.

I've gotten used to the change of focus and it isn't a problem for me. In any case, it's optional and with a flick of the fingers it can be quickly switched into acting as a conventional mirror.
Just curious, but do you wear graded-focus (e.g. bi-focal) glasses? If so, can you take a quick glance at the mirror without flipping your head back?

Normally you'd be going from distance out the front window, to distance through the mirror out the rear. Quick glances at things (instruments) are typically down low. In camera mode, I wonder if the mirror is far enough from your head that you can see it clearly without significantly repositioning, since it would be in the upper (distance) part of the lens.

In the last few days Byron Nyland has posted 3 long videos showing him driving the Opel Ampera-e (Bolt EV) and apparently there will be at least one more coming soon.

In this somewhat shorter video taken while waiting to board a ferry boat (~20 minutes) he raves positively about and demonstrates the Bolt's regen ability, its one-pedal driving ability, and his overall joy of driving it.

That was interesting. I actually had occasion to poke around one at a showroom here in Delaware last week - I was really surprised to find they had any, given the rollout schedule, but they had at least two.

I didn't have any problems with the very contentious seats, at least sitting for a few minutes on the cloth ones in the showroom. The headroom was pretty good - I guess not surprising with the shape. Not enough rear seat headroom for me.

Overall, if the charging situation was better and I hadn't been seduced by Autopilot and Tesla integration and updates, I think this could have been a perfectly adequate replacement for my Volt (but I'd have to test drive to see for certain, which I didn't since I was there with a friend and not considering replacing my X.)

Yes, Tesla's approach is to get something out there that works at least part of the time, then collect data from all the cars and process. In a few months Tesla cars with AP had driven more miles and provided more data than Google had collected in a few years of testing.

I read a year or so back one thing that has been holding the mainstream car makers back in making EVs is they are afraid to commit to one technology only to have a major new chemistry come out and require they retool for the new chemistry or end up falling behind the curve to competitors that waited and adopted the better chemistry first.

In this respect car companies tend to want to be way behind the cutting edge of new technology. They trade reliability for newness and are somewhat risk averse.

Tesla has tech upgrade built into their model. The mass produced cars probably won't have the constant change the S and X have had, but they probably will do upgrades to the cars once or twice a year. As far as AP hardware goes, when Tesla parted ways with MobileEye, I think that just hastened the introduction of the AP2 hardware. AP2 did come out shortly after the falling out. They figure that when AP hardware gets better, they will just incorporate it into the cars.

All these changes do have their downsides. For one thing it makes the spare parts situation for their cars much more complex than for mainstream cars. Getting parts for a 2015 Model S can be tough. The part you want may have only been in the car from say April to August with cars made before and after that date using a different part. Tesla is also notoriously slow at producing spare parts too, so cars damaged in accidents can sit for months waiting for spare parts. This is something Tesla should address by setting up a separate spare parts line to make spares for all their older cars. Parts that have some demand like body panels should be made in advance and stored and low demand parts should able to be turned out quickly as needed.

But again, constantly improving the cars means they need to support a much wider catalog of parts. That's one of the reasons car makers only make changes to their cars once a year unless there is some sort of safety recall or something.

Tesla's model is a Silicon Valley model. Evolution of electronics has slowed as the IC market has reached the edge of Moore's Law, but for the last 40+ years, tech companies had to deal with the hardware and software evolving significantly on a year to year basis and they had to adapt or die. Cars have evolved much more slowly and car makers are used to a much slower rate of change.

But making changes to a complex mechanical machine is different from the computer industry. The jury is still out on whether Tesla's Silicon Valley approach to cars will work when there are millions on the road. Some ideas don't scale well.

Random observations: plugged in my Bolt this morning, and the GOM displayed 220 miles with 76% of the battery remaining (checked via the Mychevy app). Extrapolating out to a 100% charge, that's 290 miles. I've been driving it normal in mixed city/highway driving, so realizing the official 238 mile EPA range doesn't even take effort. I'm having a hard time imagining how I WOULDN'T get 238 miles on a full charge in non-winter months.

I'm having a hard time imagining how I WOULDN'T get 238 miles on a full charge in non-winter months.

Try driving 238 miles at highway speeds. The Bolt is tuned for city driving, and is rated 255 miles range city, 217 Highway (and EPA highway is NOT full time at the speed limit). I expect the Model 3 will reverse those numbers.

Oh, and congratulations on handily beating EPA.

Thank you kindly.

Try driving 238 miles at highway speeds. The Bolt is tuned for city driving, and is rated 255 miles range city, 217 Highway (and EPA highway is NOT full time at the speed limit). I expect the Model 3 will reverse those numbers.

Oh, and congratulations on handily beating EPA.

Thank you kindly.

Why do you believe a Model 3 should have poor city range? Virtually all EVs and Hybrids produced today get better city range than highway. The nature of urban area freeways tends to yield EPA city numbers or higher due to the congestion in areas.

Why do you believe a Model 3 should have poor city range? Virtually all EVs and Hybrids produced today get better city range than highway. The nature of urban area freeways tends to yield EPA city numbers or higher due to the congestion in areas.

Teslas are generally better on the highway than in the city, I think mostly because of the emphasis on good aero and the relatively heavy weights of the cars, but also possibly because of the induction motor.

The Model 3 continues all three trends, so I'd expect it to also have slightly better highway than city - and beat the S by ~15-20% on both numbers.

Reactions: JRP3
Tesla tends to use wide performance tires (the early estimated numbers for the Model 3 seems to keep in this tradition), while most other EVs/hybrids use narrower LRR tires. That makes rolling resistance worse for Teslas.

Also the city number is not necessarily poor, just that the highway number is expected to be very good if they can hit their 0.21 Cd target.