Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bro1999 & @McRat any word on the 2018 Bolt features yet?

Not yet. While not always the case, usually GM products get a Year Two bump. Things the engineers did not finish in time (shoot the engineer and ship it) often get incorporated into the second year.

I have a very strong hunch there will be items added to the Bolt. The fact that the Social Networking interface did not appear even though Mary mentioned it, and the lack of ACC even with radar and 360 cameras, and full autonomy Bolts on the road since June '16 sort of point that way.

But who knows?

Not yet. While not always the case, usually GM products get a Year Two bump. Things the engineers did not finish in time (shoot the engineer and ship it) often get incorporated into the second year.

I have a very strong hunch there will be items added to the Bolt. The fact that the Social Networking interface did not appear even though Mary mentioned it, and the lack of ACC even with radar and 360 cameras, and full autonomy Bolts on the road since June '16 sort of point that way.

But who knows?
What is the likelihood that GM can do an AWD Bolt and ship it before the Model 3 AWD is released?

What is the likelihood that GM can do an AWD Bolt and ship it before the Model 3 AWD is released?

That is a very interesting question. It appears to be possible. Whether GM will do it to a car that is already mocked for being priced too high is questionable though.

I don't think they will. Nor do I believe a Sport version will be released, no matter how cool I think that would be.

They are in a good position to create other EVs and EREVs though. I want an electric sportscar like the Roadster, but with 2018 technology. This is where I think GM is blowing it. Tesla has had Halo products that helps drive base unit sales, the P85/P90/P100. GM's silly attempt at the ELR was tragic. That car could have been so much better in the performance area. A ELR-V should have been done. The ELR was a beautiful, and well engineered car, that was too expensive and lacked Cadillac performance. That was short sighted.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I assume this means that once the RPM drops below the point that actual regenerative torque is available from the motor, that the system applies pack power counter to the motor direction to bring it to a stop?
Most EVs including Tesla models noticeably lose their apparent regeneration torque at some speed below 5 mph.

Although I have no personal knowledge about how BMW implemented full stopping ability in the i3, people have said that it can use friction brakes. Assuming this is true, I'm not clear on whether it does this all the time or only when regen is weak or unavailable due to a full battery or cold battery temperatures.

I spoke with a senior GM Bolt engineer at a vehicle media drive event several months ago and was left with the impression that the car does, in fact, use a little battery power to the motor to bring the car to a complete stop and hold it there even on an incline.

and the lack of ACC even with radar and 360 cameras, and full autonomy Bolts on the road since June '16 sort of point that way.
Just to be clear, the production 2017 Bolt does not have radar. Occasionally there has been confusion about that in articles and car reviews.

Not necessarily, my car with AC induction can come to a full stop with regen alone if I'm not going too fast, PM motors should have even stronger regen potential all the way to zero mph.

The problem is that to regen you have to make 300-400v to regen, which gets more and more difficult as the electric motor slows down. It starts 'pulse' and you can sometimes feel it in electric motors at very low speeds.

Does the rear end layout suggest a drive unit could be added there without significant rework?

It depends on the torsional rigidity of the chassis. There is room. If the chassis is not stiff enough, then problems will occur since the battery array is a stressed member.

Just to be clear, the production 2017 Bolt does not have radar. Occasionally there has been confusion about that in articles and car reviews.

Somebody better notify Mary in a hurry! 2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

"Bolt EV has the technology available to help make your driving safer, including a number of ingenious radar- and camera-based systems for protection on all sides."

Also read this: GM Could Soon Roll Out World’s Largest Autonomous Fleet - GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site Search on 'radar'.

Do you have a way to monitor 58 GHz? radiation? (I'll try to find the number again, going off memory)

No one "vowed" anything. The quote is:

This was a year ago. Not only is this not a promise, but it's a rough guess made long before now.

Most EVs including Tesla models noticeably lose their apparent regeneration torque at some speed below 5 mph.

Although I have no personal knowledge about how BMW implemented full stopping ability in the i3, people have said that it can use friction brakes. Assuming this is true, I'm not clear on whether it does this all the time or only when regen is weak or unavailable due to a full battery or cold battery temperatures.

I spoke with a senior GM Bolt engineer at a vehicle media drive event several months ago and was left with the impression that the car does, in fact, use a little battery power to the motor to bring the car to a complete stop and hold it there even on an incline.

Somebody better notify Mary in a hurry! 2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

Also read this: GM Could Soon Roll Out World’s Largest Autonomous Fleet - GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site Search on 'radar'.

Do you have a way to monitor 58 GHz? radiation? (I'll try to find the number again, going off memory)

Are you sure she isn't talking about the blind spot/cross traffic system? That's generally radar based...

There are radar sensors in the rear corners of the car (and perhaps, side? it's unclear) for side blind zone alert, lane change alert, and rear cross traffic alert. However, I don't think there is a front radar (rather it uses the camera in the front), or the features would have mentioned it.

"SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT. With radar sensors on both sides of the vehicle, available Side Blind Zone Alert helps to warn you when vehicles are in your side mirror blind zones and indicates their presence with LED-lit symbols in the exterior mirrors.
LANE CHANGE ALERT. Working with available Side Blind Zone Alert, available Lane Change Alert employs radar sensors in the rear corners of the vehicle to help detect and warn the driver of fast-approaching vehicles in the adjacent lanes from up to 82 feet away, not just in the side view mirror blind zones.
REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT. Using radar sensors, available Rear Cross Traffic Alert helps warn drivers of approaching traffic when backing up. If an approaching vehicle is detected, the driver is warned with visual and audible alerts."
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...log/02-pdf/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-catalog.pdf

Are you sure she isn't talking about the blind spot/cross traffic system? That's generally radar based...

The Bolt has a following distance indicator that appears to range exactly like our radar equipped Volts and Cadillac. Ranging is difficult for cameras since they don't know the object size, and it's WAY out of range for ultrasonic.

Perhaps the Bolt does not have forward looking radar and is using video image range-finding, if so, it's impressive. It appeared to work as well as radar. If that is the case, it doesn't need radar for ACC.

Last edited:
The Bolt has a following distance indicator that appears to range exactly like our radar equipped Volts and Cadillac. Ranging is difficult for cameras since they don't know the object size, and it's WAY out of range for ultrasonic.

Perhaps the Bolt does not have forward looking radar and is using video image range-finding, if so, it's impressive.
Accurate camera based ranging (to the accuracy required for following distance) actually isn't too difficult. Rather than relying on size (which can only give a rough guess given 30% accuracy due to variance on vehicle size) it relies on the distance the bottom edge of the object is at. This gives error of 10% at 90 meters, 5% at 45 meters (for a VGA camera).

However the scale of the object can still be used to estimate change in speed (in this case you care about the change in scale, rather than the absolute size).

See this paper on how it's done by Mobileye.
http://www.mobileye.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/VisiobBasedACC.pdf

Last edited:

Perhaps the Bolt does not have forward looking radar and is using video image range-finding, if so, it's impressive. It appeared to work as well as radar. If that is the case, it doesn't need radar for ACC.

Following distance was on all the FCW equipped first generation Volts, too - based entirely on the Mobileye camera.

Reactions: Jeff N