Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this rare case that's a good thing, the production version actually looks better than the concept for the most part.

I agree with you. My point however was that GM never produces anything close to their concepts but Tesla always shows prototypes instead of concepts that do make it to production. I agree with Elon, don't bother with concepts, show people what you intend on bringing to market.

Last edited:
I agree with you. My point however was that GM never produces anything close to their concepts but Tesla always shows prototypes instead of concepts that do make it to production. I agree with Elon, don't bother with concepts, show people what you indent on bringing to market.

Car companies produce concept cars to sell upper management on new technology. If Tesla has a problem with upper management and technology, it's the opposite of most car companies.

Just for the record, I applaud GM for recent steps.
Bolt final design is good, it ain't no weird-mobil, even less than Volt was.

Finally we get a second real EV with the right (i.e. normal) looks.
ICE-conversions don't count.

Plan is working.

I like the exterior but hopefully the interior will get a redesign before it is released. It looks weird to me.

06-chevrolet-bolt-concept-detroit-1.jpg

I like the exterior but hopefully the interior will get a redesign before it is released. It looks weird to me.

View attachment 103586

This is a spyshot of the production Bolt interior from October, 2015.

View attachment 103601

Really Cancuk? The production interior looks outdated with it's big knobs and clunky shift (whatever you call it these days) stick. The first photo is much more sleek and smooth and easy on the eyes IMO.....

Typical GM (and other manufacturers): the concept vehicle shows a beautiful, futuristic interior, and the production vehicle is nothing like that. That production Bolt interior, at least the part that is visible, is disappointing.

Gen I Volt went overboard and they realized what people missed most in Gen II. Little large screen. Knobs and other quick access buttons for most frequently/functionally used (while driving, etc) items.

Looking forward to Android Auto in our 2016 Volt when it is available (March?). Apple CarPlay available now. Certainly ordering the Bolt you will have the option of either initially.

Really Cancuk? The production interior looks outdated with it's big knobs and clunky shift (whatever you call it these days) stick. The first photo is much more sleek and smooth and easy on the eyes IMO.....

I agree. That's the first time I've seen the production pic. I like the first photograph better but it just needs some refinements to it like a bigger screen, less wavy lines and more squareness and the colour pattern needs to be completely changed. But this is all subjective.

Look at this teaser! Hydundai even came out with a better looking EV than GM.....I mean, I can't even tell what it's going to fully look like, but the lines on it are slicker than the Bolt.

Hyundai Ioniq To Be Offered In BEV, PHEV, HEV IN 2016

View attachment 103655

That's indeed a very nice-looking teaser. And Hyundai long announced that they will use "next-gen LG Chem" batteries for this car in 2016. Which translates to a similar range like the Chevy Bolt - or maybe only 150-200 miles of real range because it's a bigger car.

This forum usually becomes very quiet whenever there's a real longer-range EV being announced. Remember this car (and the Bolt) might beat the Model3 to market by 1-2 years. Intense competition for mass-market longer-range EVs is closer than many TSLA bulls estimate imho.

That's indeed a very nice-looking teaser. And Hyundai long announced that they will use "next-gen LG Chem" batteries for this car in 2016. Which translates to a similar range like the Chevy Bolt - or maybe only 150-200 miles of real range because it's a bigger car.

This forum becomes very quiet whenever there's a real longer-range EV being announced. Remember this car (and the Bolt) might beat the Model3 to market by 1-2 years.
I'm very happy to hear this announcement and really hope they follow through.

I worry it won't be as much as an EV it could be due to the chassis accommodating ICE and not allowing for a very low center of gravity, ability for the pack to add to the structural rigidity of the chassis and large crumple zone in front and back.

I hope that it will though as it just means that sustainable transportation is getting closer.