Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If most of the driving done in Germany is 50 miles or less why wait for the Model 3 just purchase a Leaf.

I personally would never buy a Leaf, as I hate its looks, inside and out. I would never buy a car that I don't want to be seen driving in.

I almost bought an e-Golf this year, as this is almost perfect for me, but there are several small niggles that keep me from doing it - at the moment. Plus I would love to have a Tesla, but Model S and X are far too large (and expensive) for my needs. A car the size of a 3-series would be perfect. Hey wait, what was the supposed competition of the Model 3 again? ;)

Austin, you are right, as a commissioned sales man it should not matter if your selling an ICE or an electric, unfortunately too many ICE dealers don’t like electrics, maybe it’s because Tesla is selling direct and cutting the dealers out of a nice commission.
I was at a BMW dealership looking at an i3. The salesperson mentioned that he was the only one who took sales training on the i3 and had any interest. Likewise though, he admitted that there was just about no cross-shopping between the i3 and the other BMWs amongst the customers.

The question came up because another salesperson asked me if this was my first time coming into the dealership. It was, and I was impressed by the discerning eye. I also know that if not for the i3 I would never give BMW a second thought. Sharp salespeople, at least in that sense.

... I would not buy a 35k EV without having guarantees for the availability of a long range fast charging network. ...

That will be true for some people, but not all. In fact, IIRC, most EVs on the road today do not have DCFC ability. Heck, not even all Teslas do.

If it is purchased for a commuter car, and there is larger unlimited range car at home, the value of DCFC isn't much.

The only car on the market with a 100% long range infrastructure in all countries and enough pure EV range for 90% of commuters is the Volt/Ampera. It is not the Tesla yet. There is not 100% coverage, especially at speeds over 120kmh.

And? There is a dirty little secret that people do not talk about much. 30 minute charging is only fast when compared to other methods. It is certainly not "fast", just less slow. Fast is under 5 minutes, really fast is under 2 minutes (Volt/Ampera). Over 150 miles per MINUTE.

If my purpose was US interstate travel to all locations, I would not buy a Tesla for that. There are still huge gaps. A common drive for me is the 10 freeway through West Texas, which is a major artery. There is a supercharger gap of 971 miles. It doesn't mean I won't buy a Tesla, it just means I will use other methods for interstate travel.

I do understand the Religion of the EV. That anything that uses fossil fuels is from Satan. But I'm a car atheist. I love EV powertrains, but I'm not In Love. It's a better drivetrain system, but not enough for me to spend 20% of the my travel time charging. I'll use EV when I can, but use other systems when they are the best tool for the job.

Last edited:
That will be true for some people, but not all. In fact, IIRC, most EVs on the road today do not have DCFC ability. Heck, not even all Teslas do.

If it is purchased for a commuter car, and there is larger unlimited range car at home, the value of DCFC isn't much.

The only car on the market with a 100% long range infrastructure in all countries and enough pure EV range for 90% of commuters is the Volt/Ampera. It is not the Tesla yet. There is not 100% coverage, especially at speeds over 120kmh.

And? There is a dirty little secret that people do not talk about much. 30 minute charging is only fast when compared to other methods. It is certainly not "fast", just less slow. Fast is under 5 minutes, really fast is under 2 minutes (Volt/Ampera). Over 150 miles per MINUTE.

I do understand the Religion of the EV. That anything that uses fossil fuels is from Satan. But I'm a car atheist. I love EV powertrains, but I'm not In Love. It's a better drivetrain system, but not enough for me to spend 20% of the my travel time charging. I'll use EV when I can, but use other systems when they are the best tool for the job.

Yeah in my eyes EVs are sort of delivering on the promise of the Wankel, minus the light weight :( . Simple mechanical construction and low vibration.

I just did 1000+ miles in an 85 ( Oslo to Serre Chevalier, and back to Geneva) and I will say the charging time didn't feel like it was that onerous. The trip may have taken a bit longer but I feel like the breaks every few hours (which I should've been taking even with an ICE) really helped fatigue. But without supercharger infrastructure this would've been more of and adventure/hassle than I was up for.

I was looking at an I3 Rex but came away with the impression that range extenders end up with a bit of the worst of both worlds to balance the benefits. The BMWs apparently have some issues triggering the CEL which leads to problems with inspections (ironic on an EV). I think if I was going for a sub 60kwH EV i'd just rent a car for the times i needed to go long distances instead of buying and maintaining an ICE I intend to very rarely use. But the volt is a pretty impressive machine none the less. Even the Impala and Accord hybrids are throwing up some big numbers.

2012 Chevy Volt Passes 300K Miles, Owner Says “No Difference In Battery Since The Day I Bought It”

Last edited:

If my purpose was US interstate travel to all locations, I would not buy a Tesla for that. There are still huge gaps. A common drive for me is the 10 freeway through West Texas, which is a major artery. There is a supercharger gap of 971 miles. It doesn't mean I won't buy a Tesla, it just means I will use other methods for interstate travel.

Huh??

I used to live over the hill in La Sierra. Hi!

But I don't understand your - worries? - about fast charging. I don't understand your excitement over Volt's fast charging, where you say they charge at 150 miles per minute. So? I charge and go in about 10 to 15 minutes, and I usually grab a sandwich and hit the bathroom, so I don't wait. Plus 95% of my charging is at home in my garage. Unlike the Volt, I NEVER have to find a gas station.

You say "fast [charging] is under 5 minutes". Really? Who says? Is this a national poll? This sounds like your opinion. And "really fast is under two". Compared to what? What happens when fast charging can charge at one minute? What are you going to do then? Drive in, pass over the charger, drive out, and THEN go to the McDonalds to eat and take your biobreak? What's the excitement in "really fast" charging?

And what's the point about 100% charging infrastructure? I have only wandered around the western USA, and I have never had problems. I only have one car, and do not worry about having an "unlimited range" car at home. What is that, anyway? I have had a gas car run out of gas and had to get a lift from a Highway Patrol to go get some. Doesn't sound unlimited. And it certainly wasn't fast charge. In fact, putting gas in a car takes about 10 minutes after you've found a station that's open.

And what is all this fretting about "having to wait"? I get a kick watching people race around, passing on curves, doing 20 mph over, and when I see them later parked at the store, they are busy chatting with some girl. People are weird all over. NOBODY spends 20% of their travel time charging. My typical day driving on a trip is going about 500 miles. Yes, I know there are people out there who can go 1500 miles in a day. But I start out full, from a motel or whatever. I drive 250 miles. I supercharge to about 150 and drive another 100-120. Then I supercharge again for another 150 miles and drive to my destination. Somewhere in there, I eat lunch or snack, and hit the bathroom. No lost time, no waiting, just pure enjoyment.

And I betcha 10 through Texas will get supercharged. You're just early to the game. 40 is powered.

Why am I a troll? Just expressing my opinion. No trolling intended. This is a TESLA forum after all and yes I stand by my opinion that the bolt is not a looker.

Why??? You just answered your question. Maybe I should've spelled 'internet troll' to be more specific. The definition seems to fit.

Last edited:
A frank honest opinion doesn't necessarily fall in to the realm of trolling. I don't get the impression srthomas21 is expressing possibly disingenuous statements for the purpose of baiting anybody in to argument.

He doesn't like the looks... I don't really care much for them either, although I don't feel quite as strongly as he does.

Reactions: GSP and srthomas21
I think the problem is stating that the Bolt is ugly without any reasons. Such as:
chevy-bolt-ev-8-1.jpg

vs.
chevrolet-bolt-profile-8.jpg

vs.

That flying C-pillar is going to get that car dated fast. Maybe it'll look better when it's all black.
One is less likely to get called a troll if one gives a reason for why they stated such statements.

Examine the Bolt closely and tell us which part or parts about it make you think it's ugly. I for one think the production's lines are busier than the concepts. I like the K.I.S.S. principle.

I think the problem is stating that the Bolt is ugly without any reasons. Such as:

That flying C-pillar is going to get that car dated fast. Maybe it'll look better when it's all black.
One is less likely to get called a troll if one gives a reason for why they stated such statements.

Examine the Bolt closely and tell us which part or parts about it make you think it's ugly. I for one think the production's lines are busier than the concepts. I like the K.I.S.S. principle.

To be clear, the thread starter has stated it's his/her opinion. My opinion is this is inviting a flame war especially from the thread title and like you said not providing reasons.

Last edited:
Why??? You just answered your question. Maybe I should've spelled 'internet troll' to be more specific. The definition seems to fit.

Oh brother. Guess what, I originally had this in the model S forum because I didn't even know this forum existed and the thread was moved over here. If you bothered to read the thread it invites some good discussion on why EVs from other brands are designed to look the way they do.

There have been plenty who have disagreed with me and like the looks and have expressed that. Until you, this conversation has been fine.

I could call you the Troll since you obviously trying to illicit a response of your own but whatever.

This is a sub-forum inside the Tesla fan site. A thread title like this calling a Tesla car 'but ugly' in a Tesla forum would be asking for it.

Except I didn't start it in this sub. It was moved here from the S forum because I didn't know this sub even existed. If you continue to think it's a troll job I agree with the other poster- your trolling standards are a bit low.

To be clear, the thread starter has stated it's his/her opinion. My opinion is this is inviting a flame war especially from the thread title and like you said not providing reasons.

Ok I'll give you some reasons:

1. It's a hatch back. I've never liked them. They look like a regular car was put it a compacter and stopped half way through.

2. It looks small, short and clunky to me. It looks like it was designed by the Scion team trying to appeal (but failing) to the younger hip crowd. Scion went belly up so I guess they failed to :)

3. it looks like an updated version of the old Geo brands, at least that's what came to my mind when I saw it for the first time.

4. Lastly, I just don't like it. I have every right to say something is ugly in my opinion without having to explain the fine details of why I don't like it.