Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said the Tesla will get him from LA to San Diego, and the Spark EV or Bolt will not, because Tesla has 3 Superchargers between LA and SD. Uh... There are about a dozen or more CCS DCFCs on the same drive.
And LA to SD is about 120-160 miles so I would think you could do that one-way in a Bolt or S60 under many conditions starting with a near-full charge, particularly if you keep to slower freeway speeds if needed (and in many cases you will be going 10-20 miles per hour or slower).

No, since that vehicle will likely not be available for years to come announcing it now would not take away any sales from the Bolt but might cause a few people to hold off on the 3. Bad idea.

Good points, but I'm not sure I agree the Y won't be available for years to come, especially if it's based on the Model 3. Also, if people decide not to buy the Model 3 because it lacks utility, then they'll be "holding off" anyway...

Inaccurate comparison, of course, since the "3" supercharger locations have multiple chargers, and they are over twice as fast.

But all the 'experts' say there is only Tesla Brand DCFC in the world.

There is no DCFC at all at any speed for non-Teslas according to The InterWebbyExperts.

I simply don't think that is accurate.

You can say Tesla has more stalls, or a wider spread, or faster charging, but you shouldn't say Tesla is the only DCFC solution.

The comedy is, that if you did go from LA to SD, and you wanted to charge while at a meeting, you'd probably use CSS or CHAdeMO since there is no Supercharger in SD AFAIK. Tesla's operational radius is assisted by a secondary and tertiary grid that "doesn't even exist at all".

Good points, but I'm not sure I agree the Y won't be available for years to come, especially if it's based on the Model 3. Also, if people decide not to buy the Model 3 because it lacks utility, then they'll be "holding off" anyway...

I'll bet people "holding off" until the Y due to the lack of a hatchback, etc might end up leasing a Bolt to hold them over. Especially since we might see Bolts at the end of this year, at least in CA.

But all the 'experts' say there is only Tesla Brand DCFC in the world.

There is no DCFC at all at any speed for non-Teslas according to The InterWebbyExperts.

I simply don't think that is accurate.

You can say Tesla has more stalls, or a wider spread, or faster charging, but you shouldn't say Tesla is the only DCFC solution.

The comedy is, that if you did go from LA to SD, and you wanted to charge while at a meeting, you'd probably use CSS or CHAdeMO since there is no Supercharger in SD AFAIK. Tesla's operational radius is assisted by a secondary and tertiary grid that "doesn't even exist at all".
Maybe for that specific route (LA to SD) the commenter is wrong, but look at the overall network. CCS is far behind (as is CHAdeMO) for long distance routes and they typically only have 1-2 chargers per spot and 50kW chargers. The supercharger network is simply far more practical for long distance travel.

Perception. It's all about what people believe is the case. It's to Tesla's advantage that the only perceived DCFC is theirs, regardless how true that is. The fact that, in practice, it is the only one, is even better.

I had the option to get on a waiting list for a DCFC attachment to my Roadster, and in the end decided not to go there. I KNOW there are CHAdeMO outlets that I could use, but in practice, they'd be more trouble than they'd be worth, and not really enable me to do anything substantially new or different on a regular basis. Just not enough, or as well placed, or as reliable (actually working, and available) a charging option. Tesla's Supercharging, however, is (or would be, if my car could connect...).

Find a Tesla Expert who says a Bolt has existing Fast Charging sites which are increasing in number, even before the first Bolt is sold.

I'll label myself as such, and say there are inadequate, under powered, Fast Charging sites which are increasing in number, and will still be inadequate, even before the first Bolt is sold.

Bolt sales should be good as will Model 3. From a looks and styling perspective, there may be minimal market overlap. Those looking for 200+ mile range will have choices.

View attachment 169972
Bolt is now dead on its track, even before the race started. Model 3 looks more upscale, more luxury inside, better acceleration and performance, includes supercharging/autopilot and the attraction of a huge star like Elon. Bolt sales will be VERY VERY slow for sure.

Bolt is now dead on its track, even before the race started. Model 3 looks more upscale, more luxury inside, better acceleration and performance, includes supercharging/autopilot and the attraction of a huge star like Elon. Bolt sales will be VERY VERY slow for sure.

Well, there is always this advantage to the Bolt. Pretty sure lots of people appreciate a hatchback opening for utility.
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

And for comparison: The Model 3:
upload_2016-4-1_7-38-11.png

So I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Reactions: jgs and Xpress
I'll label myself as such, and say there are inadequate, under powered, Fast Charging sites which are increasing in number, and will still be inadequate, even before the first Bolt is sold.

Inadequate and underpowered is relative. PHEVs refuel at remote locations at 150 miles per minute, and there are 125,000 refueling locations with roughly 1 million dispensers in the US alone. They also refuel at night when you sleep.

So as far as refueling rate and coverage, no BEV is exactly cutting edge technology. Multiplying the EV infrastructure by 10 won't fix it either. You need MORE coverage than gas stations have, not less.

When you understand that most cars never go more than 100 miles non-stop more than once a month, it suddenly makes sense. When time is important, airline travel makes sense as well.

Anchorage to Buenos Aires can be done by a Motorcycle, Truck, ICE car, bicycle, on foot, or PHEV. Not a BEV. But a rational person flies anyways, unless you are sightseeing. Sightseeing isn't going up the 5 Freeway from SD to SF. That is an awfully boring waste of time.

So using an argument that any BEV is useful due to more "fast" charging and other BEVs aren't, would also imply that a PHEV is useful and a BEV is not. You can't have it both ways. Either refueling is important or it is not. It can't be both.

• Disagree
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Well, there is always this advantage to the Bolt. Pretty sure lots of people appreciate a hatchback opening for utility.
View attachment 170103

View attachment 170102

I'd like to see the statistics behind the people that would choose the Bolt over the Model 3, simply because it can fit larger cargo through the trunk.

I don't believe the Bolt to be dead by any means, but I don't think it's because you can fit an upright chair through the hatch. After all, what proportion of the top 10 vehicles sold in the US are hatchbacks? Of course, the answer is zero.

Either refueling is important or it is not. It can't be both.

Actually it can be. Overnight refueling at home, or at your destination, is better than fast refueling at a gas station, the greater range of a real EV compared to a plugin hybrid is better, and the occasional fast fueling at SC's for free is better than always having to fill up at a gas station, or the crippled range of plugin hybrids, unless you do a lot of long distance traveling, which you rightly argue, is rare.

View attachment 170103

View attachment 170102

That chair will fit in the 3, just use your imagination a bit. (Hint: The 3 has 4 doors, two of which lead to the back half of the car. The 3 also has a frunk. How's that for utility? ;))