Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little birdie told me this about the 15/16 Spark EV battery:

Both 2015 and 16 have 19.44kWh total energy

This is derived by a 54Ah 2P capacity multiplied by an open terminal voltage of 360V (nominal)

In fact it can exceed 20kWh when charging voltages above nominal approaching 400V under ideal conditions

The official line from GM is:
Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Spark EV

And:
Chevrolet Pressroom - United States - Spark EV

View attachment 200879

And:
Chevrolet to Open Retail Sales of Spark EV in Canada

On the other hand, a 2016 Spark EV press release does say 19 kWh:
https://media.gm.com/content/media/...extfile/file.res/16-PG-Chevrolet-Spark-EV.pdf

It's hard to know for certain... GM and LG have tweaked the battery cells every 2-3 years on the Volt so it's a possibility that the 2016 Spark EV cells have slightly more capacity than the 2015 Spark EV cells.
Lab testing by the INL supports the fact that the 2015 Spark EV uses a 18.4kWh (nominal at 3.7V per cell) battery pack. They tested 4 battery packs, all of which tested at 18.2-18.3 kWh in actual capacity when discharged at C/3 (3 hour).

The actual usable capacity when used in the car maxed out at 17.6kWh (during their 60mph test). This calculates to 95.7% usable capacity. A very high usable number, but not at 100% or beyond as speculated.
2015 Chevrolet Spark EV | Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity

Now, is it possible for the pack to measure up to 19 kWh (or 19.44 kWh as @bro1999 claims)? The answer is definitely yes. You can charge it to a peak voltage higher than recommended and/or discharging at lower speeds (for example a C/20 20 hour discharge). That's how some dishonest Chinese battery sellers inflate their capacity. However from the lab test results at industry standard discharge rates and test conditions, the pack appears to be a 18.4kWh pack (at least for the 2015 model; it could be possible there are slight tweaks in the 2016).

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
When Toyota makes bigger vehicles with more power, their reliability and fuel economy falls faster than the market average. Only buy the timid ones.

Proof?

The Lexus LS is their most reliable car.

Standard Cadillac XTS is craptastic by comparison.

No doubt the CT6 will follow.

Bottom line

7404433_consumer-reports-car-brand-reliability-rankings_tdb268efc.gif

• Informative
Reactions: gene and jgs
Proof? ...

New Lexus LX 570 - 383hp - 18 mpg EPA hwy (13 city). 7.2s to 60mph. EDIT - Medium to Low rated.
New (old) Escalade - 420hp - 21mpg EPA hwy (15 city). 5.8s to 60mph. EDIT - High to Medium rated.

First? Toyota is lying about the HP. 1.4 seconds is HUGE. Way more 9% difference in HP.

Second, why can't they get modern economy? The Caddy is a freaking 2v Pushrod V8. The Lexus is a DOHC techno engine.

The Lexus is not only one of the slowest luxury SUV's it's also one of the most thirsty, and brakes?

Not nice:

"(Lexus) - its brake pedal feel leaves something to be desired. Evans describes it as “braking by semaphore,” whereas Burgess calls the braking input odd: “Start to push the pedal down and nothing happens, then you push it a little harder and still nothing. Then the nose dips and the brakes are fully engaged.” I should point out he’s being kind when he says “the nose dips.” The Lexus looks like it’s doing an endo."

Making slow crap reliable is pretty much something that everybody but Trabant mastered. Making powerful vehicles is a bit different.

EDIT - Note that the Toyota Full Sized Pickup shares the same flaws as the 570. Poor power, economy, and performance. Power is not something that Toyota ever mastered.

Last edited:
New Lexus LX 570 - 383hp - 18 mpg EPA hwy (13 city). 7.2s to 60mph. EDIT - Medium to Low rated.
New (old) Escalade - 420hp - 21mpg EPA hwy (15 city). 5.8s to 60mph. EDIT - High to Medium rated.

First? Toyota is lying about the HP. 1.4 seconds is HUGE. Way more 9% difference in HP.

Second, why can't they get modern economy? The Caddy is a freaking 2v Pushrod V8. The Lexus is a DOHC techno engine.

NO PROOF on reliability.

Toyota has mastered reliability and profits.

Google GM global profits and Toyota global profits.

GM $5B for 2015 and Toyota $20B with both about 9% global market share.

In the mass market reliability is what matters most.

Once you are an established OEM with over 3% global market share what matters is profitability.

NO PROOF on reliability.

Google GM global profits and Toyota global profits.

GM $5B for 2015 and Toyota $20B with both about 9% global market share.

In the mass market reliability is what matters most.

Once you are an established OEM with over 3% global market share what matters is profitability.

Why would you care if a POS is reliable?

They aren't, but why would you care about it?

This part of the forum is specifically about OTHER EVs. You don't have to read it. I care about what the perceived competition is doing.

It is comedy that some folk appear to think a Bolt is a competitor to a Model S.

They are not for the same demographic. Nobody is trading in their P90D for a Bolt.

I can't even imagine a Model S being used for what you'd use a Bolt for. Parking in crowded "compact" parking lots, parking outside your garage each night. Waxing annually, if that. Driving through any style of carwash. Letting kids eat in the car or bring their crayons. Climbing in with muddy boots. Going 55mph down gravel/dirt roads. Following close behind dump trucks, etc.

To be honest? I'm not convinced most folk would do that with a Model 3. I would, but I don't think most would.

It's not a Ferrari/Porsche/Jag/Vette. It's a hatchback for our congested roads and urban sprawl.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Why would you care if a POS is reliable?

They aren't, but why would you care about it?

They are and every credible reliability company says so. Posting otherwise does not mean *sugar*.

IF a POS gives me 4x the profitability of competitors POS then I am happy.

The average consumer cares about being driven from point A to point B without worry of having to ever take it to the shop all else being almost the same. Autonomous BEVs are not roughly the same as conventional ICEv.

The vast majority of consumers could care less if auto enthusiast on the internet call his car a POS.