Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found it interesting that it says: "The vehicle may automatically apply the EPB in some situations when the vehicle is not moving. This is normal, and is done to periodically check the correct operation of the EPB system."

It does not say release, so Chevy assumes you don't always put on the parking brake and exercises it for you if you don't use it.

If I can't manage to push my 2014 Spark EV any distance with the EPB off, then likely it would be more difficult to push a Bolt since the Bolt has higher gear ratio (motor turns faster). So we have a new EV metric:

x(standard male)=free rolling

Enquiring minds need to know!!
--

If I can't manage to push my 2014 Spark EV any distance with the EPB off, then likely it would be more difficult to push a Bolt since the Bolt has higher gear ratio (motor turns faster). So we have a new EV metric:

x(standard male)=free rolling

Enquiring minds need to know!!
--

I do know that permanent magnetic electromotive drivetrains are a beetch to push when the ign is off. I would be surprised if you could do it on level ground.

How did you come to know that? Perhaps the one you tried to push defaulted to some safety 'short' to keep the motor from turning while off. I'll look for a very steep hill to see if the Spark holds without the EPB.
--

Might be hard to determine experimentally with a fully functional car. Folks monitoring the OBDII information on Volts noticed that there's a small amount of battery power consumed by the main drive motor when moving at speed in Neutral - on the order of 600W at 35 mph as I recall. This is presumably power the car is using to overcome the PM resistance - at least that the only theory I saw put forward.

Elon Musk put all Tesla's patents into the public domain because he wants as many automakers as possible building and selling EVs. For me, I would never buy a GM car. I don't trust them to build a reliable car. I don't trust them to build a safe car. I don't trust them to be honest about any aspect of their cars. And who in their right mind would buy a Bolt rather than a Model 3? But I'm glad to see more and more companies making EVs.

How did you come to know that? Perhaps the one you tried to push defaulted to some safety 'short' to keep the motor from turning while off. I'll look for a very steep hill to see if the Spark holds without the EPB.
--
It's hard to push an EV motorcycle. I can't imagine what a car is like. You need to pop the chain if it's any distance.

But take any permanent magnet motor and spin it by hand.

Elon Musk put all Tesla's patents into the public domain because he wants as many automakers as possible building and selling EVs. For me, I would never buy a GM car. I don't trust them to build a reliable car. I don't trust them to build a safe car. I don't trust them to be honest about any aspect of their cars. And who in their right mind would buy a Bolt rather than a Model 3? But I'm glad to see more and more companies making EVs.

No you are not.

If you were, you wouldn't be in a EV thread saying not to buy an EV today.

I never said not to buy an EV today. I said I don't trust GM. There are several other EVs available for people who want to buy one today.

(I've been driving electric since 2006.)

Reactions: EinSV
I never said not to buy an EV today. I said I don't trust GM. There are several other EVs available for people who want to buy one today.

Like what? Don't be shy give us a comparison of the 2017 EV's. And please, also compare the Bolt to your 2006 EV. Heck while you are at it, compare it your experiences driving the Tesla Model 3. If you have not driven it, tell when people will be able to drive it.

It doesn't matter what you actually say, because it was anti GM McRat will twist it to the most extreme negative view possible. It's his gift.

It doesn't matter what you actually say, because it was anti GM McRat will twist it to the most extreme negative view possible. It's his gift.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that.

BTW, I test-drove a Volt a few years back, just for giggles. It was an extremely nice ride. It was smooth, comfortable, and handled nicely. It was also very peppy compared to my Prius and the seat was more comfortable than my Prius. The battery was full, so the ride was all electric. What I didn't like was that it has two clutches, which are a big repair item, and that as an EV its range is too short and as a gas car it burns a lot more gas than the Prius. It's the worst of both worlds. It fits a narrow market niche: People whose daily driving is less than about 35 miles but who need to take a long road trip on very rare occasions. And after GM crushed the EV1 and later the GM bankruptcy, I simply don't like the company.

I'm glad they're making EVs now, and I hope they make enough of them to satisfy all the people who want an EV and do trust GM because that means fewer gas cars on the road. But if I didn't have my Roadster I'd buy a 75-mile Leaf before I'd buy a GM Bolt or Volt. And I hope the Bolt is a commercial success because if it is, they might keep making them, and put fewer stinkers on the road. But I still think it's liable to be an unreliable car in the long run and a poor choice.