Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I've had a chance to read some news articles on the Bolt, and look at the concept photos, here are my thoughts:

(1) There are few specifics on the Bolt, other than a purported 200-mile range.
(2) As there were published dimensions, its hard to say how big the car is, but it appears to be about the same size as a Nissan LEAF (compact class)
(3) The proportions seem similar to BMW's i3. The rear glass appears to have some Mercedes Benz SUV influence. Overall, I find this design decidedly frumpy and un-sporty.
(4) There was no mention of long-distance charging network support (Supercharging-type network).
(5) This does not look like a $37,500 car ($30,000 after federal tax incentives). There's nothing that makes me want this car. It's just... blah.

When I read concept car, I tend to take everything the journalists are saying with a pile of salt. We all know how many concept cars actually make it to full production with all of the promises made delivered upon. I would like to know if LG has done anything dramatically different with their cell design to improve the design. New Chevy slogan: You must be nuts to go with the Bolt.
Now that I've had a chance to read some news articles on the Bolt, and look at the concept photos, here are my thoughts:

(1) There are few specifics on the Bolt, other than a purported 200-mile range.
(2) As there were published dimensions, its hard to say how big the car is, but it appears to be about the same size as a Nissan LEAF (compact class)
(3) The proportions seem similar to BMW's i3. The rear glass appears to have some Mercedes Benz SUV influence. Overall, I find this design decidedly frumpy and un-sporty.
(4) There was no mention of long-distance charging network support (Supercharging-type network).
(5) This does not look like a $37,500 car ($30,000 after federal tax incentives). There's nothing that makes me want this car. It's just... blah.

Jeez, tough crowd.

GM is planning to build an EV that will have essentially double the range of any other non-Tesla EV. For that, it's planning to charge not so much more than a Leaf or Focus EV, and substantially less than the i3.

Is it kind of weird looking? Well, a little, but not nearly as much as an i3. In fact, in the "weirdness" department it probably matches the Prius and (original) Volt.

So, I mean, yeah--it's fair to criticize, but let's not lose sight of just what an amazing accomplishment this is.

And for those saying we still don't have all the specs...note that we know a hell of a lot more about the Bolt than the Model 3.

Jeez, tough crowd.

GM is planning to build an EV that will have essentially double the range of any other non-Tesla EV. For that, it's planning to charge not so much more than a Leaf or Focus EV, and substantially less than the i3.

Is it kind of weird looking? Well, a little, but not nearly as much as an i3. In fact, in the "weirdness" department it probably matches the Prius and (original) Volt.

So, I mean, yeah--it's fair to criticize, but let's not lose sight of just what an amazing accomplishment this is.

And for those saying we still don't have all the specs...note that we know a hell of a lot more about the Bolt than the Model 3.
It's not an accomplishment until they actually do something. And we don't just not have all the specs, we don't have any specs. All we have is a concept car and a press release.

Jeez, tough crowd.

I don't see this as any kind of accomplishment at all. GM demonstrated an empty shell of a vehicle and an equally empty list of specifics. My personal assessment of the Bolt has nothing to do with Model 3, and everything to do with the fact that GM decided to push this car in the direction of a weird appliance.

2015-culture-bev-b1-980x437.jpg

That "cover on a grille" front looks odd to me. It almost looks like it wants to have a grille/mouth, but it has a muzzle on.

..........................................................................................................................................
tumblr_m9jtv0ocCG1r002wlo3_r1_250.gif

I like the design! I had a Scion xB before which I was going to convert to electric. It was such a fun and practical car! I'd even consider trading in my Sig Performance for it if they can deliver...but they probably will miss on the range or price or performance. And more so I see no evidence that it'll be in production in 2017.

Wait, what? You'd trade your Sig Pert for the Bolt??

Remember if it's too successful, it will hurt the huge investment in their legacy business as well as their dealers. I can't believe GM wants this to be more than a niche product, if they want it to succeed at all.
I'm not sure I buy this argument. Yes, the dealers don't want it to be successful, because they stand to loose a bunch of post-sales service revenue. But I don't think GM stands to loose much post-sales.

How can GM loose money? I see three ways:

1. Lower profit on an EV vs a corresponding ICE: That one's hard to predict, but since the Feds are basically paying for $7500 of each EV sold, that's essentially $7500 in additional markup that GM (and Tesla, for that matter) can charge without effecting the affordability to the end user. So it's either a wash, or possibly more profit/vehicle.
2. Longer vehicle life results in fewer sales in the future: At this point, EV's are too new to make this statement with conviction, I'm calling this one impossible to predict.
3. Loss of parts revenue after sale: OK, let's study this one. For comparison, I grabbed the service schedule for my 2 newest cars, a 2006 Subaru Outback and a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. I'm going to go by the factory schedule for standard service, not the "bring it in every 3000 miles or the wheels will fall off" that dealers tell you.

I'm ignoring any services that are common to both EV's and ICE's (coolant flushes every ~5 years, brake fluid every 2 years, suspension repairs/alignment, tires, etc.). I'm also ignoring brake pads, even though I'll accept that brake jobs will be much less frequent on an EV with regen.

On the pickup: The service indicator goes off every 10K miles or so. Service is change oil and filter, inspect air filter and replace if necessary. Lube chassis ball joints (small cars don't have these in modern times). Rotate tires, inspect a bunch of stuff, and top off fluids. Every 50K, change air filter. Every 100K, change transmission fluid and filter and spark plugs. Every 150K, change accessory belt.

GM parts used in 150K miles: 15 oil filters, 3 air filters, 8 spark plugs, 1 serpentine belt.

On the Subaru: Every 7500 miles, oil and filter/tire rotation. Every 30K, air filter and spark plugs. Every 60K, fuel filter. At 105K, timing belt and serpentine belt.

Subaru parts used in 150K miles: 20 oil filters, 5 air filters, 20 spark plugs, 2 fuel filters, 1 timing belt, and 1 serpentine belt.

In both cars, that's just not that much in parts. Wholesale, we're talking about maybe $200, or $300 over the life of the vehicle? Just not enough to really make much difference.

And, frankly, about as much as we have for the Model X.

I don't believe that's fair. Tesla's SEC filings clearly state that the company produced Alphas and was producing Betas as of October 2014. TexasEV's contention is that GM hasn't really done much other than show a concept. As far as the Model X, Tesla has shown a concept, and made statements (submitted to regulatory body) that they have progressed fairly far in the vehicle's engineering. We also have seen what the Model X's powertrain will be like, because the Dual Motor system is showcased in Model S D-series vehicles.

Jeez, tough crowd.

I agree with much of this. I don't care for the quirky styling and the performance may very well be lackluster. But that's not the point. There are plenty of ICE cars that share those features and yet sell well to a segment of buyers that want utility or economy at a specific price point.

So the real point is that we may finally see the start of the movement of the status quo, and the beginnings of a segment of EV's that never previously existed.

With notable exceptions, I'm pretty disappointed with this group. This is the sort of thing that Elon was hoping for and is exactly what is needed to advance EVs. We need major manufactures making a commitment to 'real' EVs. Of course it's no as sexy as a Model X or S...it's also half the price. No it won't compete with a Model 3, so what...the Prius doesn't compete with an i8 either. Yes, they're pretty short of specifics and the looming question of an internet charging infrastructure needs to be answered.

But, as a group, the most important thing we can do is give GM positive feedback on this effort, imperfect though it might be. By doing so it will put pressure on Toyota, Nissan, Ford and others to meet the demand.
I may well be in the market for a Bolt for my kids, warts and all, if they answer some of the remaining questions to my satisfaction. This is a positive step forward and we should all recognize and support it as such.