Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015-culture-bev-b4-980x437.jpg

api-model-year-image.ashx

mercedes-b-class-electric-drive-2014-006.jpg

It only takes a few subtle details... somehow Mercedes managed to make their B class particularly ugly, and so did the Nissan with the Leaf. But the differences are small.

No details on the drive train? Flat battery pack and motor between the rear or front wheels? Battery pack shoved under the rear seats with a motors under the front hood?
Do the rear seat fold down for more storage space?
Up to 200 miles? (with a larger pack at extra cost?)

Look, without a fast-charge network like the Supercharger its a total deal breaker in my books. Once Model 3 is ready I have no doubt everyone else will be running for the hills screaming "we're dead!!"

I find it quite decent. Don't know about actual size though. First I felt that a LEAF might be tiny too, until I sat in one. This could be the same idea.
I applaud GM for doing this. Could be a success story, especially when gasp rises go up again.

It's worse than I thought it would be, since I was fooled by the earlier rendering, but not completely terrible. Better looking than the LEAF and the i3 IMO, but again with only 4 seats like the Volt, they obviously just slapped a Volt "T" shaped battery pack under it. I also didn't see a fast charge port. Model 3 competition? No.
There are no clear pictures of the rear seat, but from the roof shot it looks to be a 4 seater like the previous gen Volt (that had better change for the production version). As for size it'll looks spot on as a compact hatch like the Sonic hatchback (as I predicted), not really a crossover larger than the Volt as some has said. There is also no quick charge port on the actual car (but rather a standard J1772-AC), even though the press release mentions DC charging, so I guess this is still quite far from production ready. So it doesn't appear to be fast tracked for production (no mention of planned release date to the press), but rather like the original Volt concept.

Oh, I'm sure the inside is probably very comfortable. But I really don't like that whole snub-nose look they gave this. Compared to the steering wheel location, it looks like the front leg room takes up much of that mini-nose, with almost no storage up front. So many EV makers are of the mind set that since the front engine is no longer needed, neither is the space it occupied. Personally I dislike most of the designs like this.

Not bad. I like hatchbacks for their practicality, and making them tall is a great way of increasing perceived space while maintaining the same footprint. Flat, skateboard-style batteries take up interior vertical space, which is why Model S has such a compromised rear seat (i.e., low seat cushion relative to the floor and limited headroom). Tall-roofed MPVs and SUVs like RAV4 EV4, B-Class ED, and Model X address this space limitation.

It should be interesting to see what form factor Model III takes. If it keeps the same profile as Model S, and is 10% smaller, then its rear seat will be nearly inhabitable. Or perhaps it will be a home "upright" vehicle, like BMW 3-series Gran Turismo, or perhaps the flat battery pack will be under the front seats only, leaving more vertical space for rear passengers.

Not awful but center screen is too small and the light colored areas are too light. But that's just a rendering, it's not real.

The hood should be longer so there is front storage, and car would likely be more aerodynamic.

To @michealwb: I believe Tesla has stated that the Model 3 will be about 20% smaller than the Model S. You wrote "10%".

No details on the drive train? Flat battery pack and motor between the rear or front wheels? Battery pack shoved under the rear seats with a motors under the front hood?
Do the rear seat fold down for more storage space?
Up to 200 miles?
MotorTrend has new details....

Battery pack is a skateboard design under the floor as in the Model S. The production vehicle will have 5 seats unlike the 4 in the concept car. It will have a long wheelbase relative to total size to accommodate the pack. The body will use materials similar to the Cadillac CT6 (aluminum, carbon fiber, etc) for weight reduction. Production design details in 12 to 18 months so maybe at next year's Detroit show.

Chevrolet Bolt EV Concept First Look - Motor Trend

Chevy Bolt. 200 mile range for $30k base price

I think if the had made it longer and sleeker it would have gotten better range, even with the same pack and added weight, due to improved aerodynamics. That thing is way to snubbed in front. But hey, gotta keep up the whole "EVs aren't for long distance travel" myth, right?