Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China and Berlin production news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday 15 Aug 22

Click HERE to see a wonderful map of the world. Superimposed on it are the latest positions, updated via satellite, of confirmed Tesla ships.

Those ships are:

MORNING CHORUS has departed Southampton enroute to Zebrugge with 1,999 M3 and 950 MY. ETA tomorrow morning.

GLOVIS SUMMIT She arrived in Southampton earlier this morning and will depart at around 22:00 tonight for Zeebrugge, ETA around tomorrow lunchtime. She has onboard 3,026 M3 and 853 MY for the EU.

HOEGH ST PETERSBURG is not a Tesla charter but she is carrying 2000 MY to Zeebrugge. If you are on the continent (or possibly Ireland) and are waiting for a MY, when you discover your source code VIN enter it HERE. Do let me know if it was succesful, also let me know the 1st 3 digits of your VIN too please. ETA Zeebrugge 28 Aug. Please note that if you are in the UK your search will be unsuccessful because your car will not be onboard this ship!
She has completed her passage through the Suez Canal and is now in the Mediterranean heading to Livorno, Italy (a non-Tesla related stop). No more stops after that - direct to Zeebrugge.

RCC ANTWERP is presently crossing a choppy Arabian Sea and she has gone dark ie switched off her AIS, so you can ignore the position shown on our Tesla Ship Tracker. As I have previously explained this is not unusual, especially for Israeli owned ships like her. She is due to arrive in Koper on 23 Aug with 4052 MY on board. Whether this will be her only stop we don't yet know. She should switch her AIS back on when she is in the Red Sea.

GLOVIS COMPANION is also now in the Arabian Sea. She's making excellent time at the moment and has been very lucky with the weather but I expect her to drop a knot or two over the next 2 days as she encounters some choppy seas. She's bound for Suez with what looks like a load of MY destined for the UK. I'm expecting her to arrive in Southampton around 01 Sep. Do check your Tesla accounts for a hidden VIN.

Don't forget the GLOVIS COMPANION competition! Click HERE to enter.

ASIAN VISION is enroute to Port Kembla, Australia with an ETA there of 28 Aug. After that she should head on down to Melbourne.

GLOVIS CHALLENGE is currently alongside Shanghai South. I don't know where she will head to but my suspicion is that she will depart to S Korea. We should find out soon enough as I would expect her to depart in the next hour or two. Having said that we are still looking for a replacement for GLOVIS SPRING which according to the German leak should be departing soon to Barcelona with 3,946 MY onboard. That German leak hasn't been too accurate so far though.... I'm pretty satisfied that we can discount GLOVIS SPRING as being a Tesla ship when she does eventually pitch up. So is GLOVIS CHALLENGE her replacement?? She is smaller than GLOVIS SPRING and so we could have more cars left on the dock. GLOVIS SUNRISE would fit the bill size-wise though.

Please check out the Links of interest There are some excellent links there which may answer any questions you have, like the easiest method to check whether you have a hidden VIN, or not.
In Q2 they reduced the number of ships due to less production, I wonder what the chances are that if production is now much higher than expected (as I think you suggested) that they throw an extra ship to EU this quarter 🤔 Maybe all those Glovis head our way.
'Don't ask about the camera view' he said, anticipating my very thought.

Reactions: DRS ACTIVE
In Q2 they reduced the number of ships due to less production, I wonder what the chances are that if production is now much higher than expected (as I think you suggested) that they throw an extra ship to EU this quarter 🤔 Maybe all those Glovis head our way.
'Don't ask about the camera view' he said, anticipating my very thought.
All I know is that the ramp-up of MY post shutdown was not as fast as they hoped, although looking at the compounds it must be up to speed by now!

Reactions: Michael C
Not that I know anything (I'm a newbie here and only ordered in last 2 weeks) but if Tesla can make them they will want to just ship them. Cos the sooner that get their money. Unless I'm missing something?
They can sell them locally too, or in Asia, I was guessing they may want to send them to the area where thet had a shortage last quarter. That being said, depends on the Berlin ramp up too I guess, no need to ship cars half way around the world IF Berlin is ahead of schedule.

Reactions: DRS ACTIVE
All I know is that the ramp-up of MY post shutdown was not as fast as they hoped, although looking at the compounds it must be up to speed by now!
I know most people here are interested in MY, but some of us are M3 orders. Do you have any info re the M3 production ramp-up post M3 line upgrade. Going by your excellent daily report, it is also concerning that to date there only appear to be circa 6.5k of cars identified for Q3 so far. Looking at the SMMT registration data for Q1 there were 7,773 M3 and 7,774 MY registered . I thought Q3 was going to be a bumper quarter?

Hoegh St.Petersburg is not a Tesla charter, but carries Tesla plus other staff. She will stop by Liverno as planed, then continue to Zeeb.
My MYLR is on that ship for sure because My Cargo told me, my MY with the matched VIN is aboard, and ETA to Zeeb. is 28th Aug.
BTW, @Mr Miserable , the first 3 digits of the VIN is 406, Tesla computer said it was produced on 17th July, seems very first batch after upgrads?
If the VIN is 405 does that mean it was built preupdate?

You can predict when it was built from here, highest it goes to is 404xxx on 28th June, but they’d be through 406xxx looking at the run rate before July so I’d think it was before the July shutdown.

You can also see the impact of Covid on production. People come up with fancy spreadsheets which are just extrapolations of well established run rates based on actual data. I love data and love picking it apart.

The other thing about these projections, we don’t know what proportion of any production goes to which market. Australasia now have MYs and I think Tesla has expanded into Poland, Romania, Turkey etc relatively recently which will all require a slice.

Hasn't it been said several times lately that Berlin is making MY LR in white and black, which would mean your car could be coming from there?

This thread is hard enough to follow, Berlin isn't helping as it's introducing some confusion, but anyone awaiting a LHD MY in white or black needs to wait until you have a vin which will establish the factory before contributing to avoid adding to the confusion.

EDDs also move around all the time. Without something more substantial to link it to like a vin appearing, I struggle to see how we can make sense of it. Even Tesla's Dojo computer would struggle! :)
As far as I know, Berlin doesn't make cars with white interior yet. So it would have to come from Shanghai, unless I have missed something.
Anyway, the main question was the difference in departure deadline for delivery to UK vs. Norway. It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I did spend some time searching without finding the answer.

Sorry I didn't update yesterday - I collected my MY from Southampton today.
Shipping labels on the thousands of cars there confirmed that they were deposited from MORNING CHORUS and GLOVIS SUMMIT.
The word on the street is that there are 4 more ships calling at Southampton this quarter.
I don’t know what, exactly, but my spider sense tells me that something exciting is going to happen here fairly soon:

I don’t know what, exactly, but my spider sense tells me that something exciting is going to happen here fairly soon:

They are not all export though, in fact the vast majority will be heading to other Chinese ports.
The Troy Teslike estimate for Q3 MY deliveries to China is a staggering 120,000! 160,000 in Q4!

Reactions: XHabjab
Given the production rate from the Shanghai factory now, do you think we will move away from the quarter end rush (which had been alluded to sometime last year) to a steady flow of ships delivering cars, when available, to all countries that China exports to?

Therefore could we see ships going to EU/UK in the days to come, even if that means they are mid voyage at quarter end?

Just a thought!!! (and hope that I may get my car before Nov - Dec🙂)

Given the production rate from the Shanghai factory now, do you think we will move away from the quarter end rush (which had been alluded to sometime last year) to a steady flow of ships delivering cars, when available, to all countries that China exports to?

Therefore could we see ships going to EU/UK in the days to come, even if that means they are mid voyage at quarter end?

That's a very good question. I am new to this group and I am guessing this has been answered before..... I do not understand why my delivery date is Nov-Dec. What happened to Oct? do Tesla not deliver in the first month of each qtr?

Apologies I know this is not related to shipping news but not sure where it should live!

Reactions: rowedav
That's a very good question. I am new to this group and I am guessing this has been answered before..... I do not understand why my delivery date is Nov-Dec. What happened to Oct? do Tesla not deliver in the first month of each qtr?

Apologies I know this is not related to shipping news but not sure where it should live!
Tesla wants to have as many cars as possible in each quarter.
Therefore, as sending from China takes around a month, they produce the first and second month of each quarter (China), to get the deliveries done in the second and third month (Europe).
The third month (China) is used for national production, which is not small.

That is why, in Europe, delivery dates are (aproximately):

15 Feb - 30 Mar
15 May - 30 Jun
15 Aug - 30 Sept
15 Nov - 30 Dec

Tesla try to have no cars in transit over a quarter end, given the time from build to delivery from China and the US that means they don't build or ship over quarter end for europe That in turn means nothing arrives the first month of the quarter.

Reactions: nrushforth
Tesla wants to have as many cars as possible in each quarter.
Therefore, as sending from China takes around a month, they produce the first and second month of each quarter (China), to get the deliveries done in the second and third month (Europe).
The third month (China) is used for national production, which is not small.

That is why, in Europe, delivery dates are (aproximately):

15 Feb - 30 Mar
15 May - 30 Jun
15 Aug - 30 Sept
15 Nov - 30 Dec

Thanks for this. I'm a July order and was wondering the same. With the seemingly impressive production out of Shanghai at the moment, I was thinking I could get my car earlier, maybe some time in October but you've cleared that up. Maybe I'll stop checking my EDD every day now for a little while :)

Reactions: nrushforth

Full disclosure. I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to Tesla deliveries. But if they can make cars at a rate of a couple of thousand a day I have to imaging they want them going in a steady stream out to customers as full ships are ready (if indeed they can get ships...) As that will be a lot of cars to sit taking up space somehere and a lot of money tied up in those cars.

Anyway. I'm just guessing as I really don't have a scooby on how Tesla so this. I'm just hopeful the production ramp up means my EDD of Nov 15 to December 30 ends up wrong!