Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choice of inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

A typical solar system from Tesla looks like this.

- Panels: Hanwha Q.Cell Q.PEAK DUO-G6+/SC 340
- Inverter: SolarEdge HD
- Optimizer: SolarEdge P400

I was wondering whether Tesla given any choice of using a different inverter ? Like Delta or some other brand.

Anyone know this ?

Tesla does use delta inverters with the solar roof and occasionally with solar panels (although I’m not sure it’s clear to anyone why they choose one or the other). Typically Tesla doesn’t allow for a lot of customization and they definitely wouldn’t do a system with enphase microinverters or something that they never use.

I think there is a small chance that you could ask them to use delta inverters on your system, because they do use them occasionally, but I don’t know if they would agree to that or not.

The only reason why I'm thinking using delta is because solarEdge has some very bad review. Mostly in 2018, 2019. Some owner have to replace the inverter less than 2 years. Although, Tesla will replace it, but sometime took more than a month for get it fix.

Basically, I'm looking for something reliable, but necessary highest efficiency. But at the same time, because Tesla have put in so many solaredge this year. If the reliability is a problem, they should avoid using that. Because come back and repair will cost them more than putting in a reliable unit.

SolarEdge inverter review. The good the bad and the ugly legal threat.

We also have Delta inverters on our Solarroof. One M8 (8kW) and one M4 (4kW). Roof is 12.75 kW
It seems like solar roof installs are using Delta inverters (we have the 7.6 kW Solivia) where SolarEdge is the typical (but not exclusive) choice with panels. Have there been any Delta installs where optimizers are used? It may be that Tesla is only comfortable with the SolarEdge product with optimizers but finds the Delta inverters either better or just cheaper for other installs.

Just commented in another thread, but one thing to potentially be aware of is that it seems like SolarEdge makes it easier to get an extended warranty than Delta. I have not tried Tesla directly, but searching around it seemed like the extended warranty options were almost all for Europe, and I never found one in the US for my model (and the few I found it was unclear if I could have purchased if they did not also sell me the inverter.)

I have some trees that cause some shade that varies by the time of day and by time of the year. I am assuming that I would be better off with SolarEdge inverters with optimizers vs the Delta Inverters. Is that a correct assumption? BTW, I have ordered a 16.32kw with 48 panels and 4 powerwalls. Even though I don’t have a valid panel layout yet I am being asked to confirm my order. That confirmation lists Delta Inverter under the system design. I had a home assessment done 11 days ago but have not received a panel layout yet. A couple of days ago I asked that my install use SolarEdge inverters rather than Delta. We’ll see what they do. Thanks for help.

Jay

From what I seem. If you're getting powerwall with solar, Tesla will use Delta inverter. If you're getting solar ONLY, they will pair that with SolarEdge HD plus optimizer. They're a standard setup from Tesla.

SolarEdge HD + optimizer will reduce production loss in shade, and allow different panel orientation putting on the same string. Some people said, that makes it easier for design, and installation. But it cost more in hardware. Also if you're using electricity during the solar while solar is production, it's important to keep the production as high as possible. Otherwise, it will need to pull from the grid.

But for powerwall setup, the powerwall act as a buffer. If there's a shade, and causing less production, powerwall can assist to supply the needed electricity. So you won't have to pull from the grid.

Not sure why they don't put in SolarEdge as well for the powerwall setup. May be the cost ? If anyone who use PW if they're looking at the purchase agreement. What is the cost of Delta inverter ?

For SE7600H plus optimizer, it's around $2400

From what I seem. If you're getting powerwall with solar, Tesla will use Delta inverter. If you're getting solar ONLY, they will pair that with SolarEdge HD plus optimizer. They're a standard setup from Tesla.

SolarEdge HD + optimizer will reduce production loss in shade, and allow different panel orientation putting on the same string. Some people said, that makes it easier for design, and installation. But it cost more in hardware. Also if you're using electricity during the solar while solar is production, it's important to keep the production as high as possible. Otherwise, it will need to pull from the grid.

But for powerwall setup, the powerwall act as a buffer. If there's a shade, and causing less production, powerwall can assist to supply the needed electricity. So you won't have to pull from the grid.

Not sure why they don't put in SolarEdge as well for the powerwall setup. May be the cost ? If anyone who use PW if they're looking at the purchase agreement. What is the cost of Delta inverter ?

I don't think the bold part is completely true. If you get the solar roof product, it will definitely be Delta inverters. If you get solar panels, it could be Delta if you don't have shading or panel segments that are too small. If you have either of those special conditions, they will probably use SolarEdge. Whether you get Powerwalls or not is immaterial to the solar inverter selection.

This Spring, I got panels (60) & Powerwalls (2) with the SolarEdge inverters (2). As an aside, the installer said he'd be back in a couple of years to replace the smaller inverter (the one with read out panel).

Looks like there're some people has SolarEdge with powerwall plus optimizer installed as well. From others reply, their system size are quite big. If they're using Delta string inverter, the number of string could be a limitation for it to go using SolarEdge. Again, I'm not sure.

For those who has SolarEdge with powerwall. Did Tesla provide an option for you ? or they might not even ask you, probably.

36 340w panels with optimizers, 12.24kW, 3 powerwalls and SolarEdge SE10000H with no display. Installed last week and waiting for PTO. 3 Strings are 8, 13, and 15 panels. No choice given, but I would have wanted the SolarEdge in order to get the optimizers anyway.

7.14kw + 2 PW’s. Have a SE6000 + 21 optimizers. Have the option to upgrade to a SE7600(long story and info can be found in another thread). No choice in SE vs Delta was given(would have chosen SE anyway). I think you’ll find, that more often than not, recent solar and/or solar + PW installs will have SE inverters.