Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Trim Inserts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how they install, do they just glue on top of the plastic trim or do you get new plastic with the trim fitted into the plastic?

It's actually pretty extensive. Someone had asked last year (might have been a local owner here in NJ, can't remember) because they wanted theirs to match (front and rear). Tesla did the retrofit and it I think it cost around $240-$260 so this is actually cheaper now. I remember seeing pics and it is one giant piece. It's not some little inserts or cover but rather a whole big unit much larger than you think, pretty deceiving because you can't see what's underneath connecting it all together. It involves disassembling quite a bit in order to replace it. And yes, those were metal - not plastic.

It's actually pretty extensive. Someone had asked last year (might have been a local owner here in NJ, can't remember) because they wanted theirs to match (front and rear). Tesla did the retrofit and it I think it cost around $240-$260 so this is actually cheaper now. I remember seeing pics and it is one giant piece. It's not some little inserts or cover but rather a whole big unit much larger than you think, pretty deceiving because you can't see what's underneath connecting it all together. It involves disassembling quite a bit in order to replace it. And yes, those were metal - not plastic.

Here is the post from the owner who did this before for $250, and shows photos: Trunk Sill – Chrome Cover Interest

It shows the entire rear trim piece being replaced, not just the two pads. The new official part is cheaper, but it would be good to confirm, as others have asked, if it is truly metal or simply chrome-look plastic like we see in the frunk.

The one place I wish we had metal, chromed or otherwise, is on the door sills. After a few months, even consciously lifting my legs up extra far, they still routinely get dirt on them. Eventually they'll get all scuffed and look terrible. :frown:

Yes, that's the place where I'd like metal too--and I don't particularly care much what kind. The rest of the chrome they can dump as I think it detracts from the look of the car.

Maybe a project for SoftAuthor or Artsci. It's probably too much of a wear area for a wrap to work well.

My May delivered 60 has these in the frunk only as well. They appear to be metal to me...

The frunk ones are metal. If you remove that trim panel and look underneath you can see where they have tabs that are bent around to secure it. I personally like the look. Since they are offering them for the front does that mean they are now also just black plastic? When did that start?