TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Class action against Tesla for turning off Prem Connectivity before it was an option

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Paul Wolff, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

You only have WIFI if you are at home. When out, you have no browser, no streaming radio, no color maps. The point is that they did not offer it as an option until later, but are turning off it on all cars.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

The issue is that the sales people sold the car with those items, never discussed any options, they didn't announce being grandfathered because it was not an option at the time.

• Informative x 1
  3. vickh

vickh Active Member

I agree it's a big pain during driving. Tesla can easily solve by having an auto wifi switch on option and then all you have to do is enable hotspot (which you can do prior to leaving)

4. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

And the color maps, which is quite useful. You couldn't buy those extras as an option because they were not listed as an option at the time. We ordered the car with "every option, except white seats and dual motors", the sale person bragged about the connectivity and never a word about options.

5. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

#25 Paul Wolff, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Are you a conspiracy theorist? I'm an engineer that designs recording consoles and have never worked for the car isdustry. I'n not trolling nor stirring the pot. I am advocating for people that paid a premium price for premium features and then get them turned off to get more money. I'm sure they saved a bundle in cellular fees by turning everyone off one day, not even coordinated with a 1 year or 2 year anniversary. I paid for it, I want it. Very simple. Not some dark hater lurking behind a dumpster trying to stir up hate for Tesla.
    Just for reference, where does it say that I'm a Automotive and lease consultant"? Maybe you are trolling another comment, but this isn't about what he does for a living, it's about this feature removal.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

Except that you don't have LTE internet connectivity.

• Disagree x 1
  7. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I purchased my Model 3 in March of 2019. I was aware that Premium Connectivity was only being offered for one year. It was disclosed in a FAQ document on their website.

I see that it was not disclosed in the summary of features page that OP is referring to. I’m not a lawyer so I can’t comment on whether that page is sufficient to create a legal obligation for Tesla to provide the feature indefinitely. In general my experience with marketing documents is they omit significant information that needs to be examined more closely in a more lengthy document that is posted somewhere on the company’s website but is admittedly more difficult to locate. I don’t think this is unique to Tesla.

• Informative x 1
  8. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

If your phone is set up for that, the internal system is now disabled.

9. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

Go reread that post. They are responding to someone else.

10. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

Before the date that they started advertising the options.

11. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

Yea, but we aren't discussing what he does for a living, I'm not sure why thats a discussion...

12. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

Unfortunately, TuneIn goes too. It is about the internet connectivity within the cellular system in the car. Spotify may be new, but my point is that they data streaming is now shut off, except for the monochrome NAV. The car was sold with all of those as included options. You can say that. They sold the car with no additional options, so it's included. They didn't list it as an option. They can't just turn it off and say that it's not included any longer. I purchased the car before then.

13. TT97

TT97 Active Member

If you ordered it before 7/1/18 wouldn't you have lifetime connectivity included?

• Like x 1
  14. Paul Wolff

Paul Wolff Member

Exactly.

15. TT97

TT97 Active Member

So you ordered before 7/1/18 and you don't have lifetime connectivity?

16. topboxman

topboxman Member

Isn't there a difference between order and delivery dates? If you order before 7/1/18 but got the car after 7/1/18, then you may not get lifetime connectivity. Same applies to ordering in 2019 but got the car in 2020, you would not be eligible for tax credit.

Peter

17. TT97

TT97 Active Member

For the tax credit, it is based on delivery of the car (and that is an IRS regulation, not Tesla's). For the lifetime premium connectivity, I believe Tesla at the time stated that you had to order the car before 7/1 to get it so was not contingent on when it was delivered (this is just from memory recollection so not 100% positive). I remember it was right at the same time they released the Dual Motor and Performance variances so there was still quite a bit of wait between ordering and delivery.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. vickh

vickh Active Member

I think this is the crux of the argument. Similar to other MVPA vs Monroney sticker discussion. With Tesla the big difference is the ability to OTA modify after the "deal is done".

19. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

#39 Tam, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    There is no LTE internet streaming radio but there is still Wi-Fi internet streaming radio.

The description "FM/Internet streaming radio" does not specify Wi-Fi nor LTE so as long as any kind of internet is accessible, it's still true to the description.

No "browser" in the exhibit, so you can't say that it was taken away from the specs.

I don't care about the faulty complaint nor the lawsuit but I do care about the logic, the faulty logic of this solicitation for a lawsuit.

There are so much faulty logic coming from the top down, from the President to almost all of the Republican Senators who acquitted Trump, so logic is important.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

That's not correct at all. You can turn on wifi when driving just fine- and connect to any hot spot nearby (including one you bring with you like a phone or other device)

Also not correct.

How else do you think the car is getting real-time traffic info to use when routing you?

The car will also push critical OTA updates via LTE internet connectivity even without premium. (non-critical ones require wifi)

You just don't get to always use it for ANY feature you want... (even with premium you don't- for example you can't use LTE internet to stream videos from youtube while driving)

Also not correct at all. The fact only orders before 7/1/18 were grandfathered was explicitly made clear by Tesla prior to 7/1/18.

In fact that's why myself (and many others) made sure to order before then.

Tesla is introducing new paid 'premium connectivity' package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet - Electrek

Story from June 2018 about the fact orders before July 1 get lifetime premium- and that orders AFTER July 1 2018 will eventually have to pay for premium.

The only significant change from this info released June of 2018 was that Tesla gave the "free 1 year of premium" LONGER than originally promised, because it took them longer to get the paid option set up.

Not sure how you sue somebody for largely doing what they told you in advance, and the one place they didn't was to give you something for free LONGER than what they told you in advance.

Nope. ORDER date decided if you got lifetime premium or not.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2