Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class action against Tesla for turning off Prem Connectivity before it was an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you still have wi-fi and LTE connectivity so your first point is off the table. You still have FM so that is also not an issue. Seems to me, all you lost is internet streaming radio. You can easily stream that from your phone. You’re really going to launch a class action lawsuit over internet streaming radio???!

You only have WIFI if you are at home. When out, you have no browser, no streaming radio, no color maps. The point is that they did not offer it as an option until later, but are turning off it on all cars.

That would be a pain.

Not to mention on my iPhone if hot spot is idle for a while it will stop broadcasting SSID. Another “I” device (of mine) can wake it and connect, but non “I” devices won’t see the SSID unless I open the hotspot settings on the phone.

Doing all that every time I get in the car would be non starter. I’d just pay the $100/yr

I agree it's a big pain during driving. Tesla can easily solve by having an auto wifi switch on option and then all you have to do is enable hotspot (which you can do prior to leaving)

I think the logic from @Paul Wolff is: Because "Wi-Fi and LTE Internet connectivity" and "FM/Internet streaming radio" were not listed in the Premium Upgrades section so those who do not pay for Premium upgrades should not lose those two listed features.

And the logic continues that those who bought a Model 3 after the grandfather period 7/1/2018 should not have to pay for those 2 features and should not lose those 2 features either.

When it goes to court, Tesla will then have to prove that Tesla has not deprived those who did not pay for Premium Interior, like Model 3 Standard Range and like Model 3 Standard Range Plus, of those 2 listed features.

And the color maps, which is quite useful. You couldn't buy those extras as an option because they were not listed as an option at the time. We ordered the car with "every option, except white seats and dual motors", the sale person bragged about the connectivity and never a word about options.

Based on your signature “Devils Advocate”,
and your occupation being an “Automotive and lease consultant”, I assume you work for the automotive industry, and not for Tesla.
Anyone in the automotive industry is typically against Tesla, which you seem to be. :)
Are you hear just to troll or stir the pot.

If you’re afraid for your job in a now changing industry, why not focus on changing the industry you’re in, instead of trying to seemingly focus on hurting Tesla.

Are you a conspiracy theorist? I'm an engineer that designs recording consoles and have never worked for the car isdustry. I'n not trolling nor stirring the pot. I am advocating for people that paid a premium price for premium features and then get them turned off to get more money. I'm sure they saved a bundle in cellular fees by turning everyone off one day, not even coordinated with a 1 year or 2 year anniversary. I paid for it, I want it. Very simple. Not some dark hater lurking behind a dumpster trying to stir up hate for Tesla.
Just for reference, where does it say that I'm a Automotive and lease consultant"? Maybe you are trolling another comment, but this isn't about what he does for a living, it's about this feature removal.

Last edited:
Well you still have wi-fi and LTE connectivity so your first point is off the table. You still have FM so that is also not an issue. Seems to me, all you lost is internet streaming radio. You can easily stream that from your phone. You’re really going to launch a class action lawsuit over internet streaming radio???!

Except that you don't have LTE internet connectivity.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I purchased my Model 3 in March of 2019. I was aware that Premium Connectivity was only being offered for one year. It was disclosed in a FAQ document on their website.

I see that it was not disclosed in the summary of features page that OP is referring to. I’m not a lawyer so I can’t comment on whether that page is sufficient to create a legal obligation for Tesla to provide the feature indefinitely. In general my experience with marketing documents is they omit significant information that needs to be examined more closely in a more lengthy document that is posted somewhere on the company’s website but is admittedly more difficult to locate. I don’t think this is unique to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Are you a conspiracy theorist? I'm an engineer that designs recording consoles and have never worked for the car isdustry. I'n not trolling nor stirring the pot. I am advocating for people that paid a premium price for premium features and then get them turned off to get more money. I'm sure they saved a bundle in cellular fees by turning everyone off one day, not even coordinated with a 1 year or 2 year anniversary. I paid for it, I want it. Very simple. Not some dark hater lurking behind a dumpster trying to stir up hate for Tesla.
Just for reference, where does it say that I'm a Automotive and lease consultant"? Maybe you are reading another thread.
Go reread that post. They are responding to someone else.

Wait, they changed the site in June of 2018? You mean, right after they announced that free premium connectivity ended for orders placed after the end of June, 2018?

You can't say "Oooh, they originally specified the car as having this feature. Then they changed it. Despite buying the car after the change, I want the original spec!"

Wrong! Spotifiy is a super new addition. Like September of 2019.
And nobody has ever had to subscribe to TuneIn. It's included.
Neither subscriptions are through Tesla. You want a Spotify account - you go sign up on your own. Tesla has no involvement.

Unfortunately, TuneIn goes too. It is about the internet connectivity within the cellular system in the car. Spotify may be new, but my point is that they data streaming is now shut off, except for the monochrome NAV. The car was sold with all of those as included options. You can say that. They sold the car with no additional options, so it's included. They didn't list it as an option. They can't just turn it off and say that it's not included any longer. I purchased the car before then.

Isn't there a difference between order and delivery dates? If you order before 7/1/18 but got the car after 7/1/18, then you may not get lifetime connectivity. Same applies to ordering in 2019 but got the car in 2020, you would not be eligible for tax credit.

Peter

For the tax credit, it is based on delivery of the car (and that is an IRS regulation, not Tesla's). For the lifetime premium connectivity, I believe Tesla at the time stated that you had to order the car before 7/1 to get it so was not contingent on when it was delivered (this is just from memory recollection so not 100% positive). I remember it was right at the same time they released the Dual Motor and Performance variances so there was still quite a bit of wait between ordering and delivery.

I purchased my Model 3 in March of 2019. I was aware that Premium Connectivity was only being offered for one year. It was disclosed in a FAQ document on their website.

I see that it was not disclosed in the summary of features page that OP is referring to. I’m not a lawyer so I can’t comment on whether that page is sufficient to create a legal obligation for Tesla to provide the feature indefinitely. In general my experience with marketing documents is they omit significant information that needs to be examined more closely in a more lengthy document that is posted somewhere on the company’s website but is admittedly more difficult to locate. I don’t think this is unique to Tesla.

I think this is the crux of the argument. Similar to other MVPA vs Monroney sticker discussion. With Tesla the big difference is the ability to OTA modify after the "deal is done".

Thats the exact point. Their is now no internet streaming radio, now their is no browser, they say nothing about any options. If you don't care about it then move on.

There is no LTE internet streaming radio but there is still Wi-Fi internet streaming radio.

The description "FM/Internet streaming radio" does not specify Wi-Fi nor LTE so as long as any kind of internet is accessible, it's still true to the description.

No "browser" in the exhibit, so you can't say that it was taken away from the specs.

I don't care about the faulty complaint nor the lawsuit but I do care about the logic, the faulty logic of this solicitation for a lawsuit.

There are so much faulty logic coming from the top down, from the President to almost all of the Republican Senators who acquitted Trump, so logic is important.

Last edited:
You only have WIFI if you are at home.

That's not correct at all. You can turn on wifi when driving just fine- and connect to any hot spot nearby (including one you bring with you like a phone or other device)

Except that you don't have LTE internet connectivity.

Also not correct.

How else do you think the car is getting real-time traffic info to use when routing you?

The car will also push critical OTA updates via LTE internet connectivity even without premium. (non-critical ones require wifi)

You just don't get to always use it for ANY feature you want... (even with premium you don't- for example you can't use LTE internet to stream videos from youtube while driving)

The issue is that the sales people sold the car with those items, never discussed any options, they didn't announce being grandfathered because it was not an option at the time.

Also not correct at all. The fact only orders before 7/1/18 were grandfathered was explicitly made clear by Tesla prior to 7/1/18.

In fact that's why myself (and many others) made sure to order before then.

Tesla is introducing new paid 'premium connectivity' package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet - Electrek

Story from June 2018 about the fact orders before July 1 get lifetime premium- and that orders AFTER July 1 2018 will eventually have to pay for premium.

The only significant change from this info released June of 2018 was that Tesla gave the "free 1 year of premium" LONGER than originally promised, because it took them longer to get the paid option set up.

Not sure how you sue somebody for largely doing what they told you in advance, and the one place they didn't was to give you something for free LONGER than what they told you in advance.

Isn't there a difference between order and delivery dates? If you order before 7/1/18 but got the car after 7/1/18, then you may not get lifetime connectivity. Same applies to ordering in 2019 but got the car in 2020, you would not be eligible for tax credit.

Peter

Nope. ORDER date decided if you got lifetime premium or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.