Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning windshield.. Be careful of static electric!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my S washed at a brushless car wash and brought her home. I noticed the windshield was still smudged probably from the original manufacturing chemicals on the interior windshield. So I grabbed some windex and a car drying towel. As I began to wipe the interior windshield my led screen started to freak out. The various menus were popping up and car needs service warning came up. This lasted a about 30 seconds and then went away. All seems ok now but was very scary. Thought I might have blown a fuse or circuit. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions for what to use to clean the windshield? Thx!

Windex contains ammonia which will stain paint and bleach upholstery and leather. I would NEVER let windex get anywhere near my Model S. VERY BAD!

Really? I've used Windex for years and never had problems. My now traded in Cadillac had stitched leather dash top and I never noticed any kind of stain or bleaching. I will be more careful now, but do you recommend something other than Windex?

Really? I've used Windex for years and never had problems. My now traded in Cadillac had stitched leather dash top and I never noticed any kind of stain or bleaching. I will be more careful now, but do you recommend something other than Windex?

Same here. I mix ammonia with water and use it all the time. I do cover the dash with paper towels to avoid dripping it on the dash. My mixture is so strong I do keep all the doors open for ventilation.

Had a film on the windows after the car was delivered - which proved challenging to remove. Tried the typical solutions to cleaning the windows (window cleaner, RainX, highly diluted dish soap, ...).

What seems to work the best - at least on my car - use two microfiber cloths, with one slightly damp with water. Wipe the glass with the damp cloth first, then dry with the dry cloth.

For the touchscreen - I'll bring up the "T" screen and then use a dry microfiber cloth (doubled over) to wipe the fingerprints from the display. The doubled over cloth prevents the screen from detecting a touch - plus the darkened display makes it easier to see most of the fingerprints.

I posted awhile ago about using a dry cloth to clean the dash and it created crackling static and changed all the shown settings on the screen!
I bought a new microfiber cloth and tried to lightly wipe the accumulated dust off the dash. (I did not wet it because that leaves streaks on the new dash, I wanted to keep it looking new as long as I could.) I too heard loud crackling sounds and the display freaked out, rapidly changing menus and launching seat warmers, environmental controls, fans, sunroof - even after I pulled the cloth back in alarm it kept going for a while. My cloth never went near the display. I tried powering off the display and tried it again. I found I could wipe the screen, but when I swiped the dash again the display came back on and freaked out again.

Lesson learned - dry microfiber cloth anywhere near the dash (top, front) is a no-no. Not sure if making it damp will solve the problem, will have to try that soon. (But I'm not willing to try it until I absolutely have to...)

Shock
(How funny that my alias on this site is "Shock", lol)

I keep one of these in the glove box to dust the dash with, no screen freak outs yet:

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12579593&CAWELAID=1226257124&cagpspn=pla

pDGC1-12185353v380.jpg

I also use a lintless towel to clean the screen with just friction.

How is it ok that a little static makes the system go haywire? This seems like a design flaw.

All capacitive touchscreens are vulnerable to static electricity interference. The nature of the touchscreen is to use static electricity to determine touch positions on the screen. It's a really good thing people have noticed this behavior and reported so we can keep in mind and avoid trouble. Perhaps the manuals say more about this, I do not recall.

- - - Updated - - -

I use these for all computer screens, including the Model S dash screens.

http://www.costco.com/Wipe-%27n-Clear%C2%AE-Biodegradable-Lens-Wipe%2C-200-Wipes.product.11532286.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=wipe%27n+clear&langId=-1&storeId=10301

350-437592-847__1.jpg