TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Clear protective film kits for the X

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by dwebb66, Dec 26, 2015.

1. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

I am one of the lucky ones that have been able to order an X. I am planning on getting one of the protective films on the car. I have stopped into a couple of shop in in SoCal and one mentioned that there are no kits out with the correct pieces cut for each panel this means that they would have to hand cut each of the panels creating more wasted product (thus increasing cost).

Is this a concern from a quality POV? Does anyone know which companies are normally quickest to provide kits for new models?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Hhhhmmmm...I just assumed that a high quality shop did all custom work, no precut pieces.

3. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

#3 Aljohn, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    I use a custom shop here in ATL. They do their own pattern, cuttings and installation. Been using for 9 years on various cars, and even had a friend take his new body-style Corvette which was done with no issues.

I watched the process a couple of times, It is not something I choose as a DIY project. It was installed on 2007 Audi, and is perfect to this day -- eight years later. It will be a $140K vehicle, will leave to a pro.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Custom cutting and wrapping the edges is much superior to using the kits/patterns.

5. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

this is true. Most of us in the industry use xpel/suntek as our film of choice and as our software of choice as well. Until xpel gets its hands on a model x and makes the patterns, you need to find the most qualified installer that specializes in teslas to work with you.

we are in Aliso Viejo and are waiting for two model x to arrive. When we are in a position like this, we look for beta cars to build our in-house custom patterns after. For that, we work closely with our client and offer them a beta incentive. We will also be doing a group buy, if you guys/gals are interested. We did this when Porsche first came out with the 918 and 991 gt3 and the program went beautifully and was a win/win for all involved.

please call or pm me if you, or anyone else reading this thread, is interested. Our services are not for everyone as we offer a specialized and high attention-to-detail product and we specialize in Porsches and Teslas. To date, we've worked on well
    over 200 model s and several roadsters, so, we're naturally looking forward to the model x.

congrats to all those with the x and we look forward to meeting you soon.

6. Congrats on the purchase and being one of the first Model X owners!

There are a couple different things to consider, and the real answer to your question isn't so simple but the main point is to choose the right installer. Once you find a shop that you are comfortable with, view their work and have agreed upon packages whether the install is a kit or "custom" is really up to them and what they see being the best fit. That being said not all installations are created equal, just because an installer claims a "custom" installation does not mean the end result is going to be any better than a kit installation.

Xpel has their templates designed for the entire front end, our recommendation is to use this as a base. Most of the work we do is a combination of templates and custom app, our recommendation for our Model X owners is a hybrid installation on the front end. This is the best of both worlds and our clients are very happy with the protection and looks of these installations.

We're very excited to work on many Model X's owners throughout SoCal! :)

7. Gzrgmr

Gzrgmr Member

Does xpel or any of the other wraps interfere with the radar sensors?

8. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

We've wrapped over the sensors with both XPEL Ultimate and Suntek top coated, and have no issues

- - - Updated - - -

XPEL now has an excellent pattern for the Model X

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Does Xpel have a pattern for the seat backs?

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

I learned from the detailer who will install XPEL on my Sig X Wednesday that there is no pattern from XPEL yet for the seat backs.

11. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

I'm picking up my X this week (hopefully). I was planning on putting XPEL on it, but I'm worried it will interfere with the falcon wing door proximity sensors. Can anyone confirm they have installed paint protection film on the falcon wing doors without an issue? I know there was a mention of radar above, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Thanks.

12. pvogel

pvogel Member

A few people with Signatures have done it already and no problem. Snow, etc doesn't get in the way so a 200micron clear film is definitely not going to be an issue.

13. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Thank you. This is really helpful. If any other owners have done this, I'd love to hear from you too just to double confirm no quirky side effects over time.

14. Joseph Torbati

Joseph Torbati Local Vendor - NorCal

15. pvogel

pvogel Member

16. vangogh

vangogh Member

17. lloyds

lloyds Member

Wouldn't use anyone else after having several hack jobs from other companies done to previous cars. They also use a much clearer stonegard than the 3m Xpel stuff. Once my X gets in some 3-4 months, it will go straight to them for a full stonegard job.

18. elguapo

elguapo Member

I love my XPel on my S but my installation guy told me 3M is suing XPel for patent infringement, so he's concerned about XPel as a going concern. I think I'd still rather go with the XPel - sounds like 3M is just being a bully to a smaller, better competitor. That said, if anyone here has thoughts, I'd appreciate feedback/input.

19. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

Anybody have an opinion on suntek vs xpel. My guy has both but said that suntek cures better or faster or something.

20. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've used xpel and suntek and haven't seen a discernible difference. The quality and skill of the installer is more important. Go with the one that is less expensive.