Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear protective film kits for the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really don't need to do the entire car for most of the protection. Think where the rocks and sand will hit. It's mostly frontal areas and the lower parts of the car. Many of the kits just do the front bumpers and fenders, hood, mirrors, rear fenders and rockers. Some add the A pillar too all at a small fraction of the $7500. I chose to put Opticoat on the entire car after the wrap just for a bit more hardiness and it seemed to up the shine a bit too.

I had this done to my car at Appearance Solutions in Sacramento and they gave me a discount for being a TMC member.

Appearance Solutions - Sacramento, CA

View attachment 173807
I wonder if the paint will wear differently on the uncovered areas...will the color change over time on the paint that has exposure to full sunlight vs. the PPF-protected areas? i.e. when the film is ultimately removed (to be replaced after several years, for example) will the car color look the same shade of red compared to the areas that were not covered in film?

our local installer said the xpel stealth on the seatbacks can only be done to the bodyline of the seat backs (where it starts to curve) because they haven't been sticking/staying down in the long run... anyone who has the xpel stealth on the back seen this issue?

thanks!

our local installer said the xpel stealth on the seatbacks can only be done to the bodyline of the seat backs (where it starts to curve) because they haven't been sticking/staying down in the long run... anyone who has the xpel stealth on the back seen this issue?

thanks!
BS. Xpel sells a precut ppf film strip that has a relief line/cut along the curve and wraps all over the seatback.

Just an FYI a lot of these clear bra companies are charging RIDICULOUS money for a stupid plastic sheet. Every year it seems the prices get more and more ridiculous. I used to pay $500 for the whole front, now it's $2300 and some are even paying upwards of $6k! That's crazy! I can have my whole front end painted with top quality paint for $1k and the whole car for $3k. Look at the time and material cost of a paint job vs a clear bra install. The bra install is not even close to a paint job yet it's in most cases costing double.

Even worse, is that sometimes you have to repaint the car anyway after removing the film because of color differences.

Just an FYI a lot of these clear bra companies are charging RIDICULOUS money for a stupid plastic sheet. Every year it seems the prices get more and more ridiculous. I used to pay $500 for the whole front, now it's $2300 and some are even paying upwards of $6k! That's crazy! I can have my whole front end painted with top quality paint for $1k and the whole car for $3k. Look at the time and material cost of a paint job vs a clear bra install. The bra install is not even close to a paint job yet it's in most cases costing double.

Even worse, is that sometimes you have to repaint the car anyway after removing the film because of color differences.
Roger that.... Got a quote from what seems to be a favorite installer among PDX Tesla owners, and it was $2000-$2300 for a full front burial (hood, bumper, back or mirrors, door edge). BTW, local Tesla Service said it is $20. for Tesla touch up paint u can take home. for little nicks and scratches. Tesla service however did say that the seatbacks can scratch and that might be something to consider if you have kids (which i do have one of those) :)

Roger that.... Got a quote from what seems to be a favorite installer among PDX Tesla owners, and it was $2000-$2300 for a full front burial (hood, bumper, back or mirrors, door edge). BTW, local Tesla Service said it is $20. for Tesla touch up paint u can take home. for little nicks and scratches. Tesla service however did say that the seatbacks can scratch and that might be something to consider if you have kids (which i do have one of those) :)

Yes, stupid plastic sheet---but you are paying for the expertise in prepping the surface and applying the film to make it invisible. Free market economy--you can buy it or not, and the value proposition is what you make it.

Reminds me of the old joke about the doctor calling a plumber to his house for a leaking faucet. Plumber spends 10 minutes, declares the job done, and hands the doctor a bill for $75.20. Doctor is surprised. Asks the plumber what the $0.20 is for. Plumber says it is for the new faucet washer. Doctor asks what the $75 is for. Plumber says it is for his time and expertise. Doctor states that the $75 for 10 minutes is more than he bills/charges for his time. Plumber states: Yes, it is more that what I used to bill/charge when I was a practicing physician.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman and ModelX

This used to be much cheaper for sure. I was looking into getting this done to make it look great and no swirls ETC. Then again, I'm not one to scrutinize my car because of some small things here and there. I'd rather put the 3K-5K into another Tesla :p

A little history on PPF and installers:

Times change and expectations evolve. Products increase in cost, demand goes up(or down) as does awareness. For instance, in 2010 you would be hard pressed to find installers who installed PPF(clear bra) on a full hood or full fender. That was before the time that the 60" film required for full panel coverage was made widely available and even then, very few purchased it because there was little demand. Most installers kept 1 (or 2) 24" roll of film on hand that was about it because cars just did not require wider film and if they did, they seamed it....yes, seamed it. But, people did not care. It was standard.

What else was standard was junky looking installations. There simply was NOT a great looking installation available. The adhesive sucked which resulted in terrible silvering and distortion. There was no top coated nor self-healing film. Literally, as an installer squeegeed down the film they scratched it and those scratches stayed there forever.

Wrapped edges were rare. Most installers whipped out a knife and cut the crap out of the film as well as the paint. (that did not make it okay and quite frankly that was my worst nightmare....but people did that none the less)

Debris in the installation was expected.

Plotters were not common among installers. The software for the patterns was not very good and there was not enough demand for many installers to justify spending $4,000-$7,000 on the plotter.

Most installers were mobile, doing what they could to keep their heads above water and pay bills. Overhead was a minimum but so was demand for the product.

With little demand, many had to work for almost nothing to get by and stay busy.

What has changed since 2010 and has taken 6 years to do so?

*Film has dramatically increased in cost.
*The need to stock $5,000-$20,000 of rolls in different brands and widths to meet market demands.
*The need to purchase and maintain expensive plotters.
*Plotter software costs many clear bra installers THOUSANDS of dollars each month.
*The need to have a fixed location.
*With improvements in film comes an awareness of what's possible in terms of folks wanting perfection or something very near to perfect. So the labor has actually dramatically increased because folks rightly want a beautiful looking installation. Oh, that piece that looks pretty awesome except for 1 small defect that is near impossible to spot that you installed and invested potentially hours in? Yeah, that's gotta come off and now the business loses big bucks on the material cost as well the labor. All in the name of getting something as close to perfect as possible because it's what the client rightly expects. That absolutely has a real affect on prices.
*Overhead is a real thing now. The days of mobile installers giving "meh" looking jobs and that being satisfactory are done. Climate controlled indoor shops that stay very clean are a necessity. It used to be a lot of guys didn't even have insurance due to the cost and because everyone viewed PPF installs similar to mobile detailers, no one cared....and costs stayed even lower.
*Inflation. EVERYTHING is more expensive not just due to demand but also because things just cost more.
*Training and return on investment take 3+ years. Before someone is able to be efficient and make okay money at this it tends to take 3+ years. For those 3 years they are burning a metric ton of expensive PPF aiming for those high expectations and if a shop is training an employee, well....there's no guarantees that they work out. Training staff on PPF has a real cost and it's steep.

This is not meant as a rant or picking on anyone. But there's a disconnect between what some folks perceive about clear bra and what our reality is. The reality is that your local clear bra installer is just like you. He has to make something to pay bills and put a little something away. You know how hard you've worked to get where you are. How would it feel to be told, even though they don't know you nor the personal cost, that you rip people off? We are not raking in huge bucks. Most of us are really hard workers trying to ethically provide a highly skilled service and support our families.

I genuinely hope no one feels I am being nasty. Merely trying to give some insight that most have never heard. If anyone has any questions, I am happy to try to answer them.

There is a parallel post on the S forum.but I wanted the X guys to chime in on my post....
I was going to have xpel put on my one month old pearl white X by a well known Denver installer. He told me he no longer uses Xpel because of behind there scenes problems getting manufacturer to reimburse his shop for warranty hassles... Customers come first and all that rigamarole. So he now installs Stek and Lumar which are both products I've never heard of. Stek seems to be ppf and hydrophobic all together so no need for cquartz or other secondary coating for shine. Anyone heard of or used or other plus/minus opinion on these products? Quoted $2100 for full coverage from A pillars forward on all surfaces plus lights...seems low to me or the product price is inferior product.

Sounds like fud to me. From what I can tell, Xpel is the most popular brand out there and a lot of new players are coming onto the market. I suspect there is a lot of under-cutting going on and there are some deals being made with some shops (this is a lucrative business). I would do your research to make sure you getting a good product, but in the end a skilled person applying the PPF is just as important as the product.