Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Civil Disobedience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting blog and map of pipeline.

A #NoDAPL Map

Here is the map from that site. Helpful for understanding these events.
DAPL_Routes_Map_large.png

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
What does that mean..."accountable"?

Criminal Charges... that's why I linked to Morton County DA... If I shot someone with a rubber bullet you can bet I'd be charged with assault. Law enforcement should be held to a higher standard. That Journalist wasn't trespassing... she wasn't doing ANYTHING illegal. She was across the river on Army Corp land.. they have permission to be there. Whoever fired that round needs to be held accountable.

This attitude against the oil industry reminds me of what happened after the Santa Barbara Union oil blow out. On a Friday the city council voted to shut down all gas stations in the city to penalize the oil industry. On Monday they realized that might not have been the best idea since they would need to drive out of town to buy gasoline.

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
This attitude against the oil industry reminds me of what happened after the Santa Barbara Union oil blow out. On a Friday the city council voted to shut down all gas stations in the city to penalize the oil industry. On Monday they realized that might not have been the best idea since they would need to drive out of town to buy gasoline.

What's 'gasoline'? :p

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak and mspohr
Army will not grant easement for Dakota Access Pipeline crossing

The Department of the Army will not approve an easement that would allow the proposed Dakota Access Pipeline to cross under Lake Oahe in North Dakota, the Army's Assistant Secretary for Civil Works announced today. Jo-Ellen Darcy said she based her decision on a need to explore alternate routes for the Dakota Access Pipeline crossing.

Reactions: AndreN
The only

The only violence was by the police.

The latest clash over the Dakota Access Pipeline, which would carry crude oil from North Dakota to Illinois along a 1,172-mile route, began Sunday evening when about 400 protesters set two trucks on fire near a bridge on Highway 1806 near Cannon Ball, N.D., according to the Morton County Sheriff’s Department.

protesters threw rocks and burning logs at the line of police, striking one officer in the head.

Police in North Dakota Use Water, Rubber Bullets, Tear Gas in Latest Pipeline Clash

NWdiver, I would guess that everyone protesting the pipeline used gasoline to get there. I also imagine a lot of them are using fossil fuels to stay warm. If you think it's going to be easy to replace fossil fuels with wind and solar check out what's happening in Germany. They have installed a lot of renewables but are now starting to have problems with the variability of the wind and solar. In addition the cost of electricity in Germany is about 30 cents per Kwh versus about 12 cents in the US.

NWdiver, I would guess that everyone protesting the pipeline used gasoline to get there. I also imagine a lot of them are using fossil fuels to stay warm. If you think it's going to be easy to replace fossil fuels with wind and solar check out what's happening in Germany. They have installed a lot of renewables but are now starting to have problems with the variability of the wind and solar. In addition the cost of electricity in Germany is about 30 cents per Kwh versus about 12 cents in the US.
The fossil fuel industry works hard to prevent alternatives so we are stuck using gas.
Germany is working hard to develop renewables . It's not easy but it's possible

Reactions: AndreN and nwdiver
The chart shown is the wholesale price for electricity which at times even goes negative because the nuclear and coal plants can't throttle back enough when wind and solar are providing lots of power during the day. There have been a few hours when almost all electricity is being provided by renewables.The government requires the utilities to take all wind and solar at high guaranteed prices. So the wholesale prices are basically what the utilities can get for their fossil fuel and nuclear output. The actual cost to households has gone up since the government started subsidizing wind and solar. In 2006 it was about 20 cents per kwh and it's now about 30 cents per kwh. So they are having a problem with at times too much generation capacity and no good way to reduce the output. To replace all fossil fuels they will have to have a huge surplus of renewables to produce enough energy when the sun doesn't shine and wind doesn't blow plus a lot of storage.