Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang, I thought this thread was for useful dialogue... but it's just an echo chamber for people to crap on the folks they disagree with. I can see why this thread exists now.

Lots of actual discussion earlier refuting the claim of 'no global warming'. Bottom line is that climate denialism has no basis justified by falsified/cherry picked/erroneous satellite data. Crapping on those who disagree follows the refuting.

Also, many younger Republicans do care and they have active groups to fight global warming. It's really the older group that don't care because they figure it would never affect them in their lifetime. Well, in Las Vegas, last year was a record hot year and we were told that this year would be cooler... well, this year is even hotter!

BTW, new data on Nevada as #1 warming state. Oh, and we're supposed to be in a Solar Minimum now, so imagine what'd happen when we swing back to Solar Maximum.

Lots of actual discussion earlier refuting the claim of 'no global warming'. Bottom line is that climate denialism has no basis justified by falsified/cherry picked/erroneous satellite data. Crapping on those who disagree follows the refuting.

Also, many younger Republicans do care and they have active groups to fight global warming. It's really the older group that don't care because they figure it would never affect them in their lifetime. Well, in Las Vegas, last year was a record hot year and we were told that this year would be cooler... well, this year is even hotter!

BTW, new data on Nevada as #1 warming state. Oh, and we're supposed to be in a Solar Minimum now, so imagine what'd happen when we swing back to Solar Maximum.

Oh, and on solar cycle... so the cycle that just ended was 2010-2020. This next one will be 2021-2031. Las Vegas is starting 2021 with a record heat. Scary to think about what what would happens in about 5 years. So much for the old people thinking it may not affect them, well the 80 year olds may 'luck out' by dying soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
“The water is coming and we can’t stop it,” said Michelle Coldiron, mayor of Monroe county, which encompasses the Keys. “Some homes will have to be elevated, some will have to be bought out. It’s very difficult to have these conversations with homeowners, because this is where they live. It can get very emotional.”

Once people are unable to secure mortgages and insurance for soaked homes, the Keys will cease to be a livable place long before it’s fully underwater, according to Harold Wanless, a geographer at the University of Miami. “People don’t have a concept of what sea level rise will do to them. They just can’t conceive it,” he said.

In another tipping point, the Amazon rainforest basin, where flora absorbs carbon dioxide and helps keep temperatures from spiking, could soon be transformed into a savannah, according to the report.

The report also notes that coastlines around the world already experiencing sea-level rise will be forced to deal with uninhabitable conditions as tropical cyclones continue to strengthen. Heat waves like the ones gripping the western United States, and wildfire seasons that continue to set records around the world, will also only worsen over time.

“The worst is yet to come, affecting our children’s and grandchildren’s lives much more than our own,” the report says.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan

Well, DeSantis has signed into law to outlaw truth, I guess Univ of Miami will not be publishing any of these articles anymore.

Ground Temperatures Hit 118 Degrees in the Arctic Circle

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.31.31 PM.png

Well, that FL condo situation is another sad end to denialism. It was identified as a problem back in 1990. Feel bad for the current owner/tenants who may have purchased/leased without being warned.

USA TODAY: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say.

Last edited:
View attachment 674864

Edit, this image also comes from the NSIDC: January | 2018 | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

I guess by the time our kids are old enough to do something… there will still be enough ice to make a few snow cones.

Lol I just found this thread… cannot believe it exists on this forum…

I like to live in a state of denial too. Makes things happier for me. But it’s odd so many people are willing to gamble on the future under the selfish theory that the denial theory is correct.

Is it going to be so bad for people to act as if climate change was a big deal? Like what hellscape is created if we all try to reduce emissions and use more renewables?
There were no satellites to monitor the Arctic sea ice in the 1800s and the early 1900s.

The most scientifically accurate representation of global sea ice comes from these NSIDC graphs.

As you can see, Antarctica has not changed in 40 years. The Arctic has declined 2,000,000 km^2 in the same period, but holding steady in the past 15 years.

1979 was at the end of a cold period for the Northern Hemisphere, so of course the Arctic ice extent would be at a maximum then.

The global sea ice has gone from 24,000,000 km^2 to 22,000,000 km^2 in 40 years - all the decline in the Arctic. If you think about it, there will be more fluctuation in the Arctic than the Antarctic because the Arctic is an ocean. And North Atlantic ocean currents have more influence on Arctic sea ice than anything else. The almighty CO2 molecule is only an asterisk.

Here, you can see during the last 14 years, the Arctic ice has been steady. This is MASIE data from the NSIDC by the way - a higher resolution method of measuring sea ice extent.

I don't understand why you look at NSIDC data and then somehow use that data to suggest climate change is bogus. Like... why would you even bother? What possible reason do you have for doing this? Go find data from groups not called the NSIDC to somehow "prove there is no climate change".

The NSIDC has published numerous times that upon analyzing all of its data (with the MASIE being just one data source out of many) that they believe human caused climate change is real. No, the NSIDC isn't saying we will all die tomorrow; they're just experts at their own data and have their own conclusions and inferences.

I mean, even if you thought you knew more than the NSIDC to the extent you could interpret their data better than the NSIDC themselves, you couldn't even post a picture of the MASIE data you were trying to show that included recent years. Climate Change Denier Ole Humlum has consolidated the NSIDC's data of the MASIE summary (all regions average). Here you go. So you want to declare to TMC readers that MASIE data "only shows a 8% decrease in measured average ice extents" ... so it's not actually climate change. Please at least bring in more recent data complied and interpreted by other climate deniers. Ole thinks 8% is just natural phenomenon and nothing to get worked up about.

1624852821490.png

This still brings me to the whole why the flying hell does it matter who is right or wrong? Since climate change folks and climate change deniers are so hung up on being right to preserve their egos, I think they lost sight of the concept that being individually right doesn't solve a damn thing.

If climate change folks are right; then they are trying to enact policy that could affect billions now and more billions in the future. It turns out we all have to share living on this planet one way or another. If they're wrong then what harm are they causing the billions as they attempt to reduce carbon emissions? Are we all destined to smoke Victory Cigarettes while we wage war with Eastasia's carbon emissions? Or maybe we're at war with Eurasia? I can't remember. What is so scary about what the climate change folks' agenda?

If the climate change deniers are right; then what great outcome is being erased because people somehow got forced to reduce carbon emissions and try to move to renewable energy sources? Maybe some coal miner has to find employment in a different industry? I know some climate deniers say the cost of their electricity has gone up because of renewables. But that hardly seems like a life-ruining event (especially since people can install solar and reduce their energy bill).

If there ends up being no significant climate change over the next 500 years... I think the climate change fear-mongers and the climate change deniers will both be equally unhappy anyway. Because people always find something to complain about. At least the Earth wins.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you look at NSIDC data and then somehow use that data to suggest climate change is bogus. Like... why would you even bother? What possible reason do you have for doing this? Go find data from groups not called the NSIDC to somehow "prove there is no climate change".

The NSIDC has published numerous times that upon analyzing all of its data (with the MASIE being just one data source out of many) that they believe human caused climate change is real. No, the NSIDC isn't saying we will all die tomorrow; they're just experts at their own data and have their own conclusions and inferences.

I mean, even if you thought you knew more than the NSIDC to the extent you could interpret their data better than the NSIDC themselves, you couldn't even post a picture of the MASIE data you were trying to show that included recent years. Climate Change Denier Ole Humlum has consolidated the NSIDC's data of the MASIE summary (all regions average). Here you go. So you want to declare to TMC readers that MASIE data "only shows a 8% decrease in measured average ice extents" ... so it's not actually climate change. Please at least bring in more recent data complied and interpreted by other climate deniers. Ole thinks 8% is just natural phenomenon and nothing to get worked up about.

View attachment 678697

This still brings me to the whole why the flying hell does it matter who is right or wrong? Since climate change folks and climate change deniers are so hung up on being right to preserve their egos, I think they lost sight of the concept that being individually right doesn't solve a damn thing.

If climate change folks are right; then they are trying to enact policy that could affect billions now and more billions in the future. It turns out we all have to share living on this planet one way or another. If they're wrong then what harm are they causing the billions as they attempt to reduce carbon emissions? Are we all destined to smoke Victory Cigarettes while we wage war with Eastasia's carbon emissions? Or maybe we're at war with Eurasia? I can't remember. What is so scary about what the climate change folks' agenda?

If the climate change deniers are right; then what great outcome is being erased because people somehow got forced to reduce carbon emissions and try to move to renewable energy sources? Maybe some coal miner has to find employment in a different industry? I know some climate deniers say the cost of their electricity has gone up because of renewables. But that hardly seems like a life-ruining event (especially since people can install solar and reduce their energy bill).

If there ends up being no significant climate change over the next 500 years... I think the climate change fear-mongers and the climate change deniers will both be equally unhappy anyway. Because people always find something to complain about. At least the Earth wins.
Here is the Danish Meteorological Institute. They, like the NSIDC are all in for the human-caused global warming theory. That is how they get their funding.

However, there are good honest geoscientists who work at both institutions. Check out this statement from DMI.

"In total the loss of mass from the ice sheet equals a 25 mm addition to global sea level since 1840." Did you catch that? The total sea level rise from Greenland ice sheet melt is a grand total of 1 inch! It is as if the scientists snuck that little tid bit of information in. As you see, there really is nothing to get up in arms about concerning Greenland ice sheet melting. In fact, the surface mass balance of Greenland has recovered considerably since the record melt back in 2012.

However, there are good honest geoscientists who work at both institutions. Check out this statement from DMI.

"In total the loss of mass from the ice sheet equals a 25 mm addition to global sea level since 1840." Did you catch that? The total sea level rise from Greenland ice sheet melt is a grand total of 1 inch! It is as if the scientists snuck that little tid bit of information in. As you see, there really is nothing to get up in arms about concerning Greenland ice sheet melting. In fact, the surface mass balance of Greenland has recovered considerably since the record melt back in 2012.

You realize that the Greenland mass area is roughly 1/16 the size of the sea ice extents you were more than happy to bring up earlier. But I know 1 inch times 16 potential other thaws is still not cause for your alarm because you just don’t give a damn.

Climate deniers use all this fake supposition and conspiracy to defend their selfish behavior. They aren’t willing to even entertain that the Luxury of causing carbon emissions now could be harming future generations.

At least you have a Tesla. Most carbon deniers just use your arguments to rationalize a continuous behavior of selfish consumption. You still haven’t told me what craptastic future is being created by people worried about climate change.

It shouldn’t matter who is right. It should only matter why a large group of people risk the well being of others with their selfish defiance. You’re a smart guy, imagine if you used your intellect and ability to try and find beneficial change instead of unwavering stubbornness to keep a status quo of waste.